Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caliber rifle

Options
  • 27-06-2013 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

What is the highest caliber rifle u can own in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There isn't a limit, provided you can justify it by purpose. There are large-calibre rifles owned here for big game hunting abroad, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Do mean the highest calibre or most powerful ? There are a fair few heavy game rifles licenced in Ireland for shooting in Africa etc, .375's, 416's .450's, .470's, 9.3mm's. They have the power to kill any animal on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Beretta boy

rowa wrote: »
    Do mean the highest calibre or most powerful ? There are a fair few heavy game rifles licenced in Ireland for shooting in Africa etc, .375's, 416's .450's, .470's, 9.3mm's. They have the power to kill any animal on earth.

Can u get a 50 bmg or a 338 lapua in Ireland ???'

If you can justify it by demonstrating that nothing else will do for your purposes, and those purposes are legitimate, then no reason why not. Not many .338LM around though, and I don't know of any .50BMG.

The bunnies a bit tough round your way lol ? There are a few .338 lapua's here according to a recent thread.

• Advertisement

The bunnies a bit tough round your way lol ? There are a few .338 lapua's here according to a recent thread.

Haha no bunnies aren't tough around here. Can u get one if you are a member of a shooting range or if u are a compotition shooter I amagen. Wana be steel bunnies then haha :)

Haha no bunnies aren't tough around here. Can u get one if you are a member of a shooting range or if u are a compotition shooter I amagen. Wana be steel bunnies then haha :)

There's no competition here for which those rifles would be allowed as far as I know. As to being a member of a range, it'd be a basic prerequisite but realistically, the most likely reason is for hunting large game abroad. Not exactly easy guns to feed either, so you'd want to need one to bother getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I'd love to feel the recoil of them.

There's no competition here for which those rifles would be allowed as far as I know. As to being a member of a range, it'd be a basic prerequisite but realistically, the most likely reason is for hunting large game abroad. Not exactly easy guns to feed either, so you'd want to need one to bother getting one.

I'd say one round would empty your pocket haha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Cheapest i heard was €5 per round. :eek:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »

I taught my 308 rounds were expensive haha the good old .22lr rifle ;)

Think of it this way. Everytime you pull the trigger it's a box of .22lr ammo gone. Every 8 rounds is a box of centrefire ammo, and every 100 rounds is new CZ rifle. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »

I heard the .50bmg was around £12 sterling a bang, you could go broke really quick at that rate.

Sweet baby jesus. :eek:

Some of the bigger common doubles, like the .470 and .500 Nitro Express, can go up to about €20 a pop I believe, maybe more in Ireland. It's fine if you need them for the likes of dangerous game hunting. If you're doing a twenty grand hunt, the cost of ammo is not a problem for you. For a fun gun though, it's a little steep.

Some of the bigger common doubles, like the .470 and .500 Nitro Express, can go up to about €20 a pop I believe, maybe more in Ireland. It's fine if you need them for the likes of dangerous game hunting. If you're doing a twenty grand hunt, the cost of ammo is not a problem for you. For a fun gun though, it's a little steep.

its one of the reasons shooting old service rifles is popular, shooting cheap surplus ammo like the .303 or .308 in cheap surplus rifles, you are not at any disadvantage to your competitors.

its one of the reasons shooting old service rifles is popular, shooting cheap surplus ammo like the .303 or .308 in cheap surplus rifles, you are not at any disadvantage to your competitors.

That and they're a big barrel of laughs. Much as I love my expensive target shooting, there's an awful lot of appeal in those old rifles.

Advertisement