Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dumb test question

• 28-06-2013 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

i have my test next week, they will ask me questions on rules of the road but is it just on the motorcycle section they base them on or general stuff like road signs and what to do at box junctions etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

No such thing as a dumb question. The questions will be mainly geared towards bikes as it's the bike test you're doing, but as you will be on a public road, you will need to know the general stuff too. Road signs apply to cars, bikes, trucks....so you'll need to know them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

tis pretty much the cage test with extra bike bits iirc

"give 5 scenarios whereby a motorcycle may lose traction" I think was one I got (for example)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

better brush up on the whole lot then! most of it will be reasonbly obvious to me(i reckon) as i'm driving a cgae for 25yrs and trucks the past 12 thanks lads!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Wossack wrote: »
    tis pretty much the cage test with extra bike bits iirc

"give 5 scenarios whereby a motorcycle may lose traction" I think was one I got (for example)

Can I ask this of you.....

Where does the term "cage" come from when you and other posters are refering to a car???

Honest question here.

Why does any reference to a car need to be typed as a "cage"?

Thanks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can I ask this of you.....

Where does the term "cage" come from when you and other posters are refering to a car???

Cage as in you are surrounded by metal bars, ie the pillars in the car

Honest question here.

Why does any reference to a car need to be typed as a "cage"?

Thanks.:)

Not so much here, but another forum (bunch of d|ck's) will ban you if you make any mention of anything other than a bike.
    So mentioning car or truck etc will get you banned.
    People use it here as a force of habit

• Advertisement

pa990 wrote: »
    Cage as in you are surrounded by metal bars, ie the pillars in the car

Not so much here, but another forum (bunch of d|ck's) will ban you if you make any mention of anything other than a bike.
    So mentioning car or truck etc will get you banned.
    People use it here as a force of habit

Oh I know all about that particular motorbike site allright.
    Never seen so many people use the term "cage" or "cager" in such a rude/abusive manner before.:eek::(

I was one of those people who was banned from it for talking about motorcyclists who are also into cars and motorsport in general.

Think I lasted around 2 weeks on that site.:pac::D

i think i know what site you mean..... i lasted about a week and deleted my own account! sorry about the cage term it won't happen again

serious3 wrote: »
    i think i know what site you mean..... i lasted about a week and deleted my own account! sorry about the cage term it won't happen again

Dont say sorry,no need to.

Im not having a go at anyone here.

I was just curious as to how the term "cage" came about and why its used so much....(certain other site mainly..:pac:).

Thats all.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dont say sorry,no need to.

Im not having a go at anyone here.

I was just curious as to how the term "cage" came about and why its used so much....(certain other site mainly..:pac:).

Thats all.:)

It may have come from another site but it sums up some car drivers attitude when on the road. They are in a large metal cage that protects them from all danger, so they don't need to worry about driving safely.

Del2005 wrote: »
    It may have come from another site but it sums up some car drivers attitude when on the road. They are in a large metal cage that protects them from all danger, so they don't need to worry about driving safely.

You could also apply that to some motorbikers too,who think because they are on 2 wheels and have a bit of power between their legs,that they can just race off down the road and fly through traffic and fly around corners at stupid speeds.

So it cuts both ways really.:)

• Advertisement

Anyway,Im taking away from the OP and the question in hand.

Appoligies to the OP.:)

Thanks.

i have my test next week, they will ask me questions on rules of the road but is it just on the motorcycle section they base them on or general stuff like road signs and what to do at box junctions etc?

Yep random questions like what does a particular road sign mean....(warning and roadworks signs are important here too)

Whats the maximum speed limit on a motorway.

What do you do at a particular road junction.

If a garda makes a particular sign at you with his/her hand..what does it mean??

Its usualy 5 quick questions to you,while you are sitting at the testers desk,and then you head off out to your bike with the tester.

He will then ask you a few questions about your bike and what to look for on the bike and how to check things on the bike.

You will probably be asked the minimum thread depth for a bike tyre...(its 1mm).

Then its off on the bike and the bike test route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Learn your hand signals too, just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

If you have to ask the dumb question about roadsigns and the "cage" type questions then you will need to know about your primary and secondary controls on the motorbike...

Have you actually done a pre-test with a qualfied instructor?

buzzard wrote: »
    If you have to ask the dumb question about roadsigns and the "cage" type questions then you will need to know about your primary and secondary controls on the motorbike...

i asked the question because i wasn't sure if the questions asked would be bike specific like the theory test! you take your theory test in the category you apply for be it truck, bike or car so forgive me for thinking that the test would be the same.
    anyway i better go out and see if i can work out what my primary and secondary controls are or maybe you could enlighten me o' wise one

i asked the question because i wasn't sure if the questions asked would be bike specific like the theory test! you take your theory test in the category you apply for be it truck, bike or car so forgive me for thinking that the test would be the same.
    anyway i better go out and see if i can work out what my primary and secondary controls are or maybe you could enlighten me o' wise one

I know,I feel your pain here.......

Just make sure you know where the "any key" is...That will start the bike up for you...:pac::D

I would suggest that you get pre-test lessons as if you can't answer the basic questions you have'nt got a hope of passing....

hard enough for newbies getting a licence without people putting them down and knocking the fact they ask questions. would you rather i fail and then bitch all day on here that the testers are arseholes and i'm the greatest rider around? all i wondered was it just the motorcycle specific questions i would be asked as i don't see how knowing the maximum speed permissible for a single decker bus carrying standing passengers has any bearing on a motorcyle test.

I would suggest that you get pre-test lessons as if you can't answer the basic questions you have'nt got a hope of passing....

You could lighten up perhaps and not start getting stuck into people who use the forum to ask a simple/honest question.

Your attitude towards Serious3 is........

hard enough for newbies getting a licence without people putting them down and knocking the fact they ask questions. would you rather i fail and then bitch all day on here that the testers are arseholes and i'm the greatest rider around? all i wondered was it just the motorcycle specific questions i would be asked as i don't see how knowing the maximum speed permissible for a single decker bus carrying standing passengers has any bearing on a motorcyle test.

It,ll be a double decker bus.....:pac::D

Listen,dont worry about it and dont let other people get under your skin.

No harm at all in posting and asking the question here on this forum....(thats what its for afterall).

Lots people here willing and able to help you (as per the posts on previous page),without feeling the need for putting you down or making you feel like you cant ask a question.

Best of luck with it.

Take care my friend and happy biking too.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

You may be asked to explain a few road signs, which will be shown to you by the tester before you go out.
    Pedestrian zone sign.
    Where would you find 2 red flashing lights.
    etc.
    Outside you will be asked about your bike.
    P.O.W.D.E.R check.
    Tension on chain and where to adjust.
    etc.

Make sure to bring the log book of the bike with you, and any restriction cert dated within the past 2 years(if any needed)
    Learner permit in date.
    IBT cert (if needed)
    Tax disc.

On the test, make progress (do not ride too slow)
    etc

better make sure i pass, i'll never live it down with buzzard otherwise:P

Well you passed 1st time around in the pi55ing rain and you did it for yourself too.

Well done indeed.:D

Apologies if you felt hard done by but I was just been honest. The amount of people that fail to prepare for their test is staggering.

The old saying is "fail to prepare, prepare to fail". The test is expensive enough and an investment in a pre-test is always worthwhile and your original question indicated that you didn't do any pre-test.

If if not too late, your primary controls are brake and clutch levers, accelerator and gear lever. Secondary controls are your switches ie lights, horn, indicator etc

Questions in the centre will focus on the ROTR and later the tester will ask questions about the bike

What is POWDER
    How do you check & tighten the chain
    How do you check the oil

Remember when doing the test - Lifesaver, Lifesaver, Lifesaver. It's amazing how many people fail because of the lack of lifesavers.

Any way, best of luck in your test and my advice is to be well prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Remember when doing the test - Lifesaver, Lifesaver, Lifesaver. It's amazing how many people fail because of the lack of lifesavers.

I nearly failed mine cause I did too many hah.. he thought it unnecessary that I did two when turning left (once to position in lane ahead of the junction, and again to make the turn). Conceed that its not entirely necessary compared to right turns, but geez, one more left turn woulda done it for me - thankfully it was a right turn into the test centre :p

Advertisement