Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat subject choices

• 28-06-2013 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all I'm repeating my leaving cert next year and I need some advice
    I'm doing chemistry, business and music all of which I'm hoping to get A1s in and honours maths which I want to get a B3 in.
    I need another 2 subjects that with a lot of work put in on my part can be A1 subjects. One of them must be a science subject, any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why not do a subject you've already done two years in and build up to the A1, instead of starting a whole new course?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

I repeated this year and took up ag science from scratch. I thought it was a very handy course to pick up and the project requires a lot of work but it helps a great deal in understanding the course. I got grinds which were very helpful but overall I would really recommend it. It's not too challenging I got 95% in the mock with a bit of work an A is achievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

I repeated this year and took up ag science from scratch. I thought it was a very handy course to pick up and the project requires a lot of work but it helps a great deal in understanding the course. I got grinds which were very helpful but overall I would really recommend it. It's not too challenging I got 95% in the mock with a bit of work an A is achievable!

Would you say to get an A1 I'd need to have studied biology to? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

spurious wrote: »
    Why not do a subject you've already done two years in and build up to the A1, instead of starting a whole new course?

Because I did applied maths and physics and I'm not as good at those subjects as I hoped I'd be. Regardless of how much work I do I'd never be of an A standard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Joey!! wrote: »
    Because I did applied maths and physics and I'm not as good at those subjects as I hoped I'd be. Regardless of how much work I do I'd never be of an A standard

But that could be the case in any subject. Sometimes hard work isn't enough. It just seems to me you're making things even more difficult for yourself by starting new subjects and trying to do the course in half the recommended time.

Anyway, I hope you get what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 STP50

You could try Economics. It fits well with business and is a short course that can be covered in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

STP50 wrote: »
    You could try Economics. It fits well with business and is a short course that can be covered in a year.

If you're going for an A I would avoid Economics. The exam has become quite tricky recently. This past June was especially so.

It's no longer a case of simply learning the textbook. You need to be able to think in the exam. If you can, great, but there are subjects with easier exams that Economics at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

teach88 wrote: »
    If you're going for an A I would avoid Economics. The exam has become quite tricky recently. This past June was especially so.

It's no longer a case of simply learning the textbook. You need to be able to think in the exam. If you can, great, but there are subjects with easier exams that Economics at the moment.
    STP50 wrote: »

I took up economics this year when i repeated and i really liked it! Its a very short course and at times some bits are tricky but i think because it is so short you have time to go over the course more than you could with a longer subject so it makes up for it.

Advertisement