Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N vests for new riders

• 28-06-2013 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

So the new N plates are coming in for cars and bikers are going to need to wear a High Viz vest with N
    Motorcyclists won’t escape the measure. According to the Bill, they’ll be required to wear a florescent vest with “the letter ‘N’, not less than 15 centimetres high in red on a white background, in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear”.

How soon till they try and make all bikers wear hi viz or will they learn from the French that it's unworkable. Will it even be enforced since I rarely see L vests?

But it's another nail in the coffin for bikers, I can't see people doing stepped licences and then having to wear a target for 2 years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,348 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Even with a full car licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

endacl wrote: »
    Even with a full car licence?

sure.. car licence is different. that sign will be here to make another drivers aware of you. that you have no long term experience with driving a motorbike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

It doesn't add up..they say that while a Novice that you get a ban at 6 points instead of 12. So what if you have a full car license for years and you have 6 points..that mean you cant apply for a bike license?

When is this supposed to come in? If you pass your bike test before it comes in will the N plates apply to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Its the same bollox as some people meant to wear an L vest.
    It simply doesnt happen. Were all well aware of the mentality of most people on Irish roads.

You can be on a bike in a 80kmh zone doing 80kmh with no L vest on and the cars behind you are keeping normal distance etc....

You can be on a bike in a 80kmh zone doing 80kmh and a L vest on and the cars behind you are up your hole and trying to overtake at every oppertunity because you have a vest on so they best get past you.....

Wearing a L or N vest while driving a motorbike in this country is asking to be ran off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭prunudo

cojomo2 wrote: »
    It doesn't add up..they say that while a Novice that you get a ban at 6 points instead of 12. So what if you have a full car license for years and you have 6 points..that mean you cant apply for a bike license?

When is this supposed to come in? If you pass your bike test before it comes in will the N plates apply to you?

That's a very good point, same goes for people who want to get a bus or truck license, or even going for a trailer license for the car. Mr. Varadkar might just be opening a massive can of worms, as everybody is issued with the same driver no. regardless of how many categories you hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was thinking the same myself. We'll have to see what way the law is written when it's introduced

According to the guy from the RSA on radio this morning they hope to have it in by Oct/Nov. It can't affect you if you pass you test before it's introduced, so apply now.

Did anyone hear the hypocrite from the RSA on Newstalk this morning? He was talking about the new N laws and how some people wanted to restrict the power of the cars they could drive. He said it was unfair to penalise everyone because some people can't be trusted. This is the same RSA that recently introduced a completely non researched stepped licencing system for motorbikes, so according to the RSA we're all hooligans and can't be trusted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Del2005 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same myself. We'll have to see what way the law is written when it's introduced

According to the guy from the RSA on radio this morning they hope to have it in by Oct/Nov. It can't affect you if you pass you test before it's introduced, so apply now.

Did anyone hear the hypocrite from the RSA on Newstalk this morning? He was talking about the new N laws and how some people wanted to restrict the power of the cars they could drive. He said it was unfair to penalise everyone because some people can't be trusted. This is the same RSA that recently introduced a completely non researched stepped licencing system for motorbikes, so according to the RSA we're all hooligans and can't be trusted.

Nonsense...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The Irish government could save itself a lot of money and ignore this crap. Thankfully, it's not likely to be enforced, going on past form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Most people (voters) will drive or be driven in a car regularly
    Most people will never drive or be driven on a bike
    So cars are normal and therefor its discrimination to apply rules to their occupants but bikes are different and should be treated differently

It's always been the case
    I thought the flouro jackets for new riders would have been better withou the N it seems to be stupid to make it soo painfull to wear the it won't be worn

Tigger wrote: »
    It's always been the case
    I thought the flouro jackets for new riders would have been better withou the N it seems to be stupid to make it soo painfull to wear the it won't be worn

Since a lot of bikers ride with high viz there'd need to be some way to determine if your new or safety conscious. Perhaps people should buy these and staple a big N to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Can we just get a bulls eye for new drivers.
    Another way to drive people off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

This is the same RSA that recently introduced a completely non researched stepped licencing system for motorbikes

Fact check - the stepped license was an EU directive (Third Driving License Directive). Nothing whatsoever to do with the RSA.

The fourth driving license directive has been in the pipelines for about a decade now and is set to introduce "lifelong learning" including stepped licensing for car drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Since a lot of bikers ride with high viz there'd need to be some way to determine if your new or safety conscious. Perhaps people should buy these and staple a big N to it.

It'd be tempted to get that, But my Hi-vis is class. The POLITE would be mistaken for POLICE pretty easily at speed, so it might stop cnuts being cnuts.

The only time I've ever worn an L vest is when I did my IBT, I ALWAYS wear Hi-Vis, but never an L anymore, I've yet to be stopped, when I am, I hope it's by a Motorbike Guard, because they'll be the only ones with a little Leeway on it. I can see the ordinary rank and file Gardai trying to stick to it as if it's a law that makes sense. There is literally nothing safer about an L plate on a bike, on a car it's useful to know, on a bike, it's just dangerous.

carsQhere wrote: »
    Fact check - the stepped license was an EU directive (Third Driving License Directive). Nothing whatsoever to do with the RSA.

The fourth driving license directive has been in the pipelines for about a decade now and is set to introduce "lifelong learning" including stepped licensing for car drivers.

I know why it was brought it in, but our leaders had an input and didn't do anything about it.

Advertisement