Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winchester lever action

Options
  • 28-06-2013 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi can u by a Winchester 45. Cal in Ireland. I no 45. Is a pistol round but I want it in a rifle will it still be ileagul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

You can get a Licence for them, but ou won't be able to use it for Hunting, so range work only.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Restricted because of the calibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The Aussie wrote: »
    You can get a Licence for them, but ou won't be able to use it for Hunting, so range work only.

Why not use it for hunting ? If it makes the minimum muzzle energy (1700 ft/lbs) then surely its ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You could try and apply for it but I reckon it'll have to be for a particular target discipline because restricted calibers for hunting are not often seen as a necessity since there are a variety of other calibers ( also in lever action ) available that aren't restricted and are more suitable for deer hunting and foxing.

You could try and apply for it but I reckon it'll have to be for a particular target discipline because restricted calibers for hunting are not often seen as a necessity since there are a variety of other calibers ( also in lever action ) available that aren't restricted and are more suitable for deer hunting and foxing.

But if you had one for gallery rifle target shooting what is to stop you applying for a deer hunting licence for it ? The larger pistol rounds when shot from a rifle length barrel meet the minimum requirements easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You could get one in 30-30win for deer etc...
    Like this one. :D:D:P
    [IMG][/img]newboomstick001.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

rowa wrote: »
    But if you had one for gallery rifle target shooting what is to stop you applying for a deer hunting licence for it ? The larger pistol rounds when shot from a rifle length barrel meet the minimum requirements easily.

That's fair enough if it's initially granted on a restricted licence for target shooting but I reckon most senior Gardai making the decission to grant or not will suggest an unrestricted caliber before signing of on a restricted one if the application for a licence is only for hunting.

The example above, 30-30 is not restricted. Another example is the Browning BLR, definitely available in .243 and .308 with a box magazine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Why not use it for hunting ? If it makes the minimum muzzle energy (1700 ft/lbs) then surely its ok ?
    No reason not to unless your license precludes it.

However it doesn't come close does it? Quick check shows 1,000 fps and 500 or so ft/lb. Is there ammo that would make the minimum?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    No reason not to unless your license precludes it.

However it doesn't come close does it? Quick check shows 1,000 fps and 500 or so ft/lb. Is there ammo that would make the minimum?

The .45lc is a pretty anemic round, its probably loaded down like that because a lot of the firearms chambered are so old. I know rossi and a good few others chamber their lever actions for the .454casull, you can fire .45lc through them too and the .454 makes the minimum (1700ft/lbs) easily. Same with the .44 magnum, deer legal in magnum loadings but can be used with the .44 specials for target use.

http://www.ballistics101.com/454_casull.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Good question.
    A Lever gun fires a Colt .45 (aka a Long Colt) - NOT- .45 acp.

This article is a good read but much of the info is referring to handloaded ammo : http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm

There is modern +P, +P+, and .45 LC Magnum loads that approach the power levels of the .454 Casull.

• Advertisement

I've never heard of anyone being granted a Deer Licence with any .40 Cals.

Might be wrong but I'm sure it was talked about last year how no one had been granted one either.

I've never heard of anyone being granted a Deer Licence with any .40 Cals.

Might be wrong but I'm sure it was talked about last year how no one had been granted one either.

Has anyone applied though ?

I think they had applied for it, that's what the Thread was about, they had it for the Range and wanted to us it in the Feild and got knocked back, they might be along soon to link the thread, it was a Leaver Action they had.

As for testing in the Courts, I don't think they had the inclination for it, so unless someone else had I doubt it.

On a side note a gun I had years ago was a 4 shot Ruger semi in .44 magnum that would have been a cracker on Deer, it used to drop bigger animals than that with ease, I can dream anyway can't I.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Basically a 10/22 on steroids.:)
    Ruger discontinued it awhile back and brought out the Ruger 9mm carbine.
    A handy accompaniment to a 9mm pistol as it accepts various different 9mm mags.IE Glock,SIG etc.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Yeh the Ruger was fun alright, I brought it in a Pub in Western Queensland for $200 back in the days when you still could do sort of thing and it was an old rifle when I brought it. Charging Scrub Bulls did not know what hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-3030.cfm

A nice option to the Winchester. These are not replica's of original Henry's. Well made and get good reviews, you can get them in .30-30 and .45-70 which will do just about anything you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I think they had applied for it, that's what the Thread was about, they had it for the Range and wanted to us it in the Feild and got knocked back, they might be along soon to link the thread, it was a Leaver Action they had.

As for testing in the Courts, I don't think they had the inclination for it, so unless someone else had I doubt it.

On a side note a gun I had years ago was a 4 shot Ruger semi in .44 magnum that would have been a cracker on Deer, it used to drop bigger animals than that with ease, I can dream anyway can't I.

unless It was a restriction on his licence that the op could only use it on a range, he was already granted his licence no reason why it could not be used on deer, once the NPW were happy with it
    If the lad that started this thread has a chat with his FO citing that he wants a rifle for both purposes ie. gallery shooting and Deer hunting cutting out the need for another "high power centerfire" then he would be making a very good argument for requiring it

EWQuinn wrote: »
    http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-3030.cfm

A nice option to the Winchester. These are not replica's of original Henry's. Well made and get good reviews, you can get them in .30-30 and .45-70 which will do just about anything you want.

Wall ornament only are the henry

Not if I owned one, born to shoot smooth, fast and accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFo08L1xRec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztSDZ2bh8ZU

4gun wrote: »
    unless It was a restriction on his licence that the op could only use it on a range, he was already granted his licence no reason why it could not be used on deer, once the NPW were happy with it
    If the lad that started this thread has a chat with his FO citing that he wants a rifle for both purposes ie. gallery shooting and Deer hunting cutting out the need for another "high power centerfire" then he would be making a very good argument for requiring it

Would the same argument be made for a .338 Lapua*

* for the handful of people who actually own one in the republic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Wall ornament only are the henry

why do you say that? for their good looks or do you mean they are somehow poor for shooting?

Didnt actually realise a lever action came in 30-30, which looks like a rimmed non spitzer 308, looking it up and suprised to see it is one of the most common cartridge sizes (in the US anyway).
    I actually thought pistol cartridge sizes were what was common in lever actions.
    I assumed they came in pistol 38 special and 357 here mostly as I thought they were used on metal targets? I did not think the 45 long colt or other variations of 44/45 caliber pistol rounds would be common here at all and never considered anything larger would be either.

Merch wrote: »
    why do you say that? for their good looks or do you mean they are somehow poor for shooting?

Didnt actually realise a lever action came in 30-30, which looks like a rimmed non spitzer 308, looking it up and suprised to see it is one of the most common cartridge sizes (in the US anyway).
    I actually thought pistol cartridge sizes were what was common in lever actions.
    I assumed they came in pistol 38 special and 357 here mostly as I thought they were used on metal targets? I did not think the 45 long colt or other variations of 44/45 caliber pistol rounds would be common here at all and never considered anything larger would be either.

I seen one or two in .44-40 (the round that won the west) and they were really nice to shoot, very little recoil, i don't know about ammo availability in the larger pistol rounds though.

Would the same argument be made for a .338 Lapua*

* for the handful of people who actually own one in the republic.

If your one of the lads that own one why would you not be able to shoot deer with it, again once the Npw give you a deer licence for it
    be a bit impractical....you wouldn't have much left for eating

The Henry are fine for occasional shooting a deer every now and then I had a look at them before getting my Winnie 30-30
    Henry just don't have the same quality Rossi are supposed to be better....I only ever handled the 22 version of the Henry they look fine but by comparison to the Winchesters in the same caliber they are poor quality

If the op is going to buy a new Lever action then have a look at the Marlins...Atm they are supposed to give best value for money

the wall hanger quip is just my opinion based on my experience with their 22, i also read a not of negative reviews about their quality and my totall Winnie bias
    Here is the reason

2012-11-09220830.jpg

If your one of the lads that own one why would you not be able to shoot deer with it, again once the Npw give you a deer licence for it
    be a bit impractical....you wouldn't have much left for eating

I think there in it lies, they are not giving out licences for Deer for just anything over the minimum limit, I would not know what agenda they have as in terms of setting it, but I'm still yet to hear of anything bigger than a .300 Win/Mag for Deer or anything in the .40 Cal range either, I know of bigger Calibers but they are for Range work and foreign adventures after massive animals so not to be used on Deer in Ireland, feel free to contact them and ask why (I might almost be on their banned list at this stage :rolleyes:), they are normally very good at answering questions at the NPWS, although you would have to have on the Firearms Licence for Hunting and how much resistance would you face from that side of the fence, I suppose no one knows the answer to this until they challenge the decision, that in itself is a poxy situation to be in.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/08/chris-dumm/gun-review-henry-big-boy-44-magnum/

Here is a good review anyone in the market for a lever gun should see. A limiting factor might be the way its loaded, but quality for the money and accuracy is not. It had a sight problem in this review, but that would be easily rectified, I have not heard of any systemic issues. 8.7 lbs may discourage some, I have carried 9 & 10 lb rifles and the ammo to go with a lot farther than I'd care to remember, so its not an issue for me. I just can't afford it right now, my only limiting factor.

Advertisement