Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is access needed to the soccer forum?

Options
  • 28-06-2013 3:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I have access myself but always wondered what's the deal with it? Why is access required?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Because football is a very tribal sport and the place would be overcrowded with keyboard warriors.

It can be bad enough as it is at times with that stuff, removing access would just make it a whole lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055299810
    Basically so arseholes can't re-reg to continue an argument

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Due to the great shit storm of '04.

Have a read - Thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Primarily, that you can't re-reg after a ban with zero posts to continue on an argument. You have to wait a month and 50 posts at least.

There's also no excuse to not have read the charter or charter updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I still think its a bit "easy" to gain access, in terms of all someone has to do is copy and paste a recent access request request and there's a reasonably good chance that the identifier words may not have been changed in the meantime.

Is there some way that the Access request threads can be hidden, or only be visible to the thread creator and admins/soccer mods?

I've thought that maybe it would be an idea to create a Soccer Access Request user/profile who must be PM'd in order to gain access. And the soccer Access Request forum would remain, only nobody would be able to post new threads. And the only way someone would find out about the existence of this SoccerAccessRequest user/profile would be by actually reading through the charter. (All soccer mods would have access to this SoccerAccessRequest's PM's.) It would eliminate the copy and paste access requests, many of whom I believe slip through the net and gain access.

Maybe I'm talking bollocks, and maybe I'm over-complicating it a bit, but no harm in throwing the idea out there to be considered/ridiculed!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think it is important to realise that, despite what people may think, the community here does want people to sign up and participate, not only in the Soccer forum, but the site as a whole.

For some people, the mere act of signing up to the site itself is a whole world of pain, as evidenced by the number of people who abandon the process at the first hurdle.

The trick is to balance the needs of the forum and the permission to post there against the need to keep out those intent of being a disruptive force.

jordainius wrote: »
    Is there some way that the Access request threads can be hidden, or only be visible to the thread creator and admins/soccer mods?
    It's doable alright. That's the way the Signatures forum works.

Advertisement