Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you surrender a council house in one county & get one elsewhere without waiting?

Options
  • 27-06-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi do anybody know if you surrender a council house and get a letter stating you have a clean record can you go to an other county and register with them and not have to wait one year. not looking for a hand out just need to move for to be near family, (diffent county other side of country)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Pretty sure that'd be a no. If you surrender a council house you are not entitled to another one afaik. And if you are allowed to go on the list in another area you would certainly be on the bottom of the list cos you surrendered a previous house

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

exactly. If you want to move AFAIK you need to find somebody in the otther county to swap with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ginoh10

Yes I know I would be put to bottom of list but need to move as offered a job in other part of the country,I was told i might have to waith a year, can any tell me is this right thanks gino

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

ginoh10 wrote: »
    Yes I know I would be put to bottom of list but need to move as offered a job in other part of the country,I was told i might have to waith a year, can any tell me is this right thanks gino

If you have a job, could you not afford to rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you have a job, could you not afford to rent?
    Typical poverty trap is that you can't move to get a job, and you can't get a job if you don't move.

ginoh10; best option is to move in with family whilst you get a job, and get out and rent a house once you start earning. If you have a family, ask in the state benefits forum on what your spouse may be able to claim whilst you work.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Typical poverty trap is that you can't move to get a job, and you can't get a job if you don't move.

ginoh10; best option is to move in with family whilst you get a job, and get out and rent a house once you start earning. If you have a family, ask in the state benefits forum on what your spouse may be able to claim whilst you work.

If you read the post I replied to, the op stated she was moving to the other county because she had got a job there.

So again open, why do you need a council house if you have a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

If you read the post I replied to, the op stated she was moving to the other county because she had got a job there.

To live in ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

People with jobs often live in council houses, as unbelievable as that may seem to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

What a ridiculous thing to say. You have no idea what this person will be paid and where the job is.

foxy06 wrote: »
    What a ridiculous thing to say. You have no idea what this person will be paid and where the job is.

Well if there willing to up sticks and move across the country, I'm assuming its not minimum wage.

And what's wrong with asking if someone has a job, that they might pay rent for an apartment or house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Well if there willing to up sticks and move across the country, I'm assuming its not minimum wage.

And what's wrong with asking if someone has a job, that they might pay rent for an apartment or house?

You would be assuming a lot then wouldn't you. You do realise council tenants pay rent too don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Indeed. And the OP will almost certainly be refused local authority housing if the job pays anything approaching the average industrial wage. If its only above minimum wage, she will qualify for FIS. The issue she will have in the new area is what kind of housing stock the new LA will have. At present most LAs have no stock and there has been very little or none new builds in the last 4 yrs. Instead what a lot of LAs have been doing is buying up houses at knock-down price in well-established private estates and then giving priority to house a certain ethnic group.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, when you look at the OP
    (diffent county other side of country)
    you may realize that they cannot do the daily commute until they get paid, as it's not nearby. Thus, accomdation is needed.

The OP lives in a council house, and gets dole. Part of that dole goes towards rent for the council house, and the rest towards food and electrical/gas bills. Thus the OP may not have the deposit (usually a months rent) and a months rent to move into a new house.

Oh, but you say they have a job? So? When someone gets a job, they won't get paid until a month after they start working. VERY few jobs pay by the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

I handed back the keys to my council house in April 2011 and had numerous letter from various councils, medical personnel, social workers etc but still had to wait the year before being allowed go onto another housing list.

You also have to have extenuating circumstances to be entitled to rent allowance after handing back a council house as you may be deemed as making yourself willingly homeless as your housing needs were already being met.
    For me it was the best decision I made but trust me, it wasnt a straightforward task by any means. I had to jump through hoops to be able to get rent allowance when I moved.
    (and no, in case anyone thinks otherwise, I didnt just hand my house back cos I fancied living in the countryside, I had many agencies involved with my decision back then)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

hmm first post you had to move to be near family now you have to move because of a job offer.

I smell BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Because the vast majority of those in council houses have (or at least had until the recession) low paying jobs, Tesco's and the like. Scary isn't it, they also pay rent calculated on their income.

No OP, you have to wait. My mother moved from Cork to Kerry and we had to rent while waiting to see if we could get a place.

Advertisement