Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from one rented house to another?

Options
  • 28-06-2013 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Looking for a little advice please and what the norm is. Havent done this before.

We are moving from our currented rented house on the 1st August and are looking for another now. I have the deposit saved for the new place but would be using the rent we normally pay on the 1st August as the first months rent for the new place.

Issue I have is, if we find a place between now and then, how do we secure the new place? Do I need to have the deposit and first months rent now to put down to secure the new place? Or do I pay the deposit now and the first months rent when we move in? What is expected and what is the norm? Don't want to lose a good place now becuase we dont have deposit and 1st months rent now, also do not want to get ripped off by giving a deposit now, when its not generally expected before we move in.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It depends on how long the new landlord is willing to wait before you move into the new place. I imagine most places will not want to wait more than a week or two at the most between taking the deposit and you paying the first months rent and moving in. I suppose once you have the money for the deposit an rent, and dont mind a bit of crossover between tenancies then there is nothing to stop you moving into a new place once you have paid the last month on your current place. I did that with my last move; I had two weeks then to move my stuff across at my leisure before having to give back the keys to my old place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Thansk for that, I will have all the cash about a week or so before we are due to move. It leaves it a bit tight though and unfurnished houses are not easy to come by in Cork city. I found a perfect place now that is free the week before we are due to move, just need to know how I secure it. Do I give the deposit now and will the new landlord be happy with that? Would I be stupid to handover anythign until we are ready to move? Would a landlord expect all the cash now, a month before moving in. Confused???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Have a chat with the new landlord and see what they say. To be honest, I dont really see them being all that thrilled at losing out on a months rent while they wait for you to move in, but its worth asking and see how you get on.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Depending on the demand for the place you want to take it could be fine.

I'm moving into a new place and the landlord was fine waiting for a month for first month's rent as long as they got the deposit to 'hold' it.

Advertisement