Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is a boiler service ever just a service

• 28-06-2013 8:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Id say 90% of the time its something isn't working or its acting funny and you get the "it probably needs a service"

Normally now I both make sure it runs and ask them is it working. And usually the answer is well now that you mention it sometimes it ...........

Ye find the same

Comments

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Id say 90% of the time its something isn't working or its acting funny and you get the "it probably needs a service"

Normally now I both make sure it runs and ask them is it working. And usually the answer is well now that you mention it sometimes it ...........

Ye find the same

When I first started working here I would at times get myself into silly situations where I would be called to do a service, start the service and find the boiler was broken. The silliness would then start when I would be informed by the customer "it was working perfectly before you took the case off, so you broke it, so you fix it":confused:

I would love to know where this came from? now I ask the customer to fire the boiler themselves before I will service a boiler which I find a bit silly, but I have to do it.

I wonder if my van goes in for its NCT and they fail it if I'd get away with telling them it was ok till they went at it and get them to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

O they'd quite happily hang ya. Cos it'd cost you **** all. And sure your rich anyway. Making a fortune everyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

If I turn up to service a boiler and then find they have a problem I repair the problem and charge them, I then inform them that the boiler will require servicing once the boiler has had time to settle down after the repair.

I can be as smart as them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

I always ask them to switch on the (oil) boiler for 10 miniutes the night before to dry out seals and gaskets. I then fire the boiler for 10 seconds before I do service. Bafflels cooling down while working on burned. I also feel the pump to see that's also vibrating/working before I start anything. Thats my end (and arse ) covered!
    Sometimes later you'll discover fault with MV, clock ,stat, P vessel , water, air.
    water in oil tank.
    99% customers are sound. The others I would (nearly ) pay them to not call me again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

i had a call last year to service a boiler on arrival i asked the usual question any problems or is it just a service was told no probs just had it running this morn and all
    was well this was 10am approx boiler was stone cold so i smelled a rat asked owner to fire up the boiler and would not fire fuel pump fcked guess who was going to pay for that just a service me arse live and learn

• Advertisement

How many of you guys based in Cork? I love passing on these types of customers, as I'm such a nice guy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

scudo2 wrote: »
    How many of you guys based in Cork? I love passing on these types of customers, as I'm such a nice guy!!!

There was a guy on here a few weeks ago from cork but he was banned!

I presume CORKGSXR & CORKPLUMBER are at least from Cork !!
    PM me your details if ye like.
    ( not so that I'll pass on these customers by the way)

thats the problem with ye cork guys yere just too generous for yere own good not a bit like us tight baskards from limerick

Dtp79 wrote: »
    There was a guy on here a few weeks ago from cork but he was banned!

was he from cork now jaysus he was a pain at least we can go back to havin an opinion again since he left

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »
    thats the problem with ye cork guys yere just too generous for yere own good not a bit like us tight baskards from limerick

I'm only a blow in from Carlow who's only been here 27 years ( Its great as Im never expected to talk GAA ) Cork is great, Its the people .....

I'm only a blow in from Carlow who's only been here 27 years ( Its great as Im never expected to talk GAA )

Ya you wouldnt know enough after that short period.

was he from cork now jaysus he was a pain at least we can go back to havin an opinion again since he left

I'm nearly sure he was a cork man. And a right pain in the arse too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

I'm only a blow in from Carlow who's only been here 27 years ( Its great as Im never expected to talk GAA ) Cork is great, Its the people .....

your right its the people . not from cork but has moved into cork.

Dtp79 wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure he was a cork man. And a right pain in the arse too

but id say his father was a dub. he didnt get it from his mothers side of the family.

but id say his father was a dub. he didnt get it from his mothers side of the family.

Good one

and another thread goes very slightly off topic me thinks

150 miles of topic. Cork To Dublin.

in relation to is a boiler service ever just a service. I done a oil boiler service recently. the women of the house asked me to hang a picture for her. I said no and she got very odd.

you must have an honest face at least she was willing to allow you inside done 1 recently was asked would i like a cup of tea i said thanks that would be lovely landed on top of grant heatpac no milk no sugar oh the luxuries we expect

you must have an honest face at least she was willing to allow you inside done 1 recently was asked would i like a cup of tea i said thanks that would be lovely landed on top of grant heatpac no milk no sugar oh the luxuries we expect

ah its the thought that counts. but what bugs me is when daddy of the house brings the tea. so he can look over your shoulder and ask more questions than a 3 year old and you really want to say to him..... fcuk off im not here to teach an oftec , rgi or fas course.

or the ones that tell you how to do it. the ones that have fixed what you end up repairing.

• Advertisement

ah its the thought that counts. but what bugs me is when daddy of the house brings the tea. so he can look over your shoulder and ask more questions than a 3 year old and you really want to say to him..... fcuk off im not here to teach an oftec , rgi or fas course.

or the ones that tell you how to do it. the ones that have fixed what you end up repairing.

ah jaysus have ye them in cork as well i thought they were exclusive to limerick

ah jaysus have ye them in cork as well i thought they were exclusive to limerick

they are every where. they usually do the next oil boiler service themselfs and advice all in their local. something I always come across they do be affraid of their **** of the gas, but they become oil fired experts after it.

I rarealy get cought with the procedure I've listed earlier, once or twice boiler broke down a few days later ie. Pump or solonide, costomer wasn't out to catch me. So you just have to grin and bear it. All part of the job.
    But one day I went to clean a perfectly good Grant Euroflame, gently useful brush and scraper + vac.
    2hours later one of the internal welds leaked, had to replace boiler.
    Again a good regular customer. He paid for the boiler, no burner needed and I fitted it for free. He still insisted on paying for service fee + gave me a bottle of wine.
    As that famous American said. "**** HAPPENS" ( Forest Gump )

they are rare clients scudo.

id a client in carrigaline stole me oil gauge and smoke pump. I called to ask did I leave it behind. no was the answer and I know I packed them before i left. the same fella gave me black tea. i think he stole the milk out of it after the wife made it. im telling you , you wouldnt be up to them.

150 miles of topic. Cork To Dublin.

in relation to is a boiler service ever just a service. I done a oil boiler service recently. the women of the house asked me to hang a picture for her. I said no and she got very odd.

Why wouldn't ya hang a picture.

Why wouldn't ya hang a picture.
    if i hung the picture . the next one would be mowing the lawn and probably making her dinner. fcuk that. I do what it says on the tin (van). Plumbing and heating. i hang rads and boilers not pictures.

anyway if i did hang it. how long would i be there. a little to the right. no a little bit up. over to the left. no ill put it over there instead. Pluming , Heating and picture hanging.

they are rare clients scudo.

id a client in carrigaline stole me oil gauge and smoke pump. I called to ask did I leave it behind. no was the answer and I know I packed them before i left. the same fella gave me black tea. i think he stole the milk out of it after the wife made it. im telling you , you wouldnt be up to them.

Maybe its its due to the fact I'm such a nice guy !!!!!

Maybe its its due to the fact I'm such a nice guy !!!!!

i think im to fcukin soft. i done a job on the north side of the city a few years ago . replacing a urinal in a pub. i brought the urinal in and went out to get my tools. came back the urinal was gone. went to put the tools back in the van to go off and get another urinal and the van was gone. im not joking you.

i think im to fcukin soft. i done a job on the north side of the city a few years ago . replacing a urinal in a pub. i brought the urinal in and went out to get my tools. came back the urinal was gone. went to put the tools back in the van to go off and get another urinal and the van was gone. im not joking you.

The flying bottle @ Holly hill ?

• Advertisement

ill send you a pm with name. its not them but close.

if i hung the picture . the next one would be mowing the lawn and probably making her dinner. fcuk that. I do what it says on the tin (van). Plumbing and heating. i hang rads and boilers not pictures.

anyway if i did hang it. how long would i be there. a little to the right. no a litt bit up. over to the left. no ill put it over there instead. Pluming , Heating and picture hanging.[/quote

I help an old guy reattach the spring on his garage door after he nearly got a heart attack opening it for me.
    Hope he's ok. I haven't heard from him since ......... .

O iv learned no matter where you are lock your van

and the same place was like chernoble with all the smoke and the smoking ban was in place at the time. maybe hash wasnt part of the ban. they where smoking it in pipes/ unreal. i only do pubs on the northside during hours of closure now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I'll be working in your neck of the woods Monday week in Passage West.
    Must try & nick a few services from ye whilst I'm there.
    Must also remember to bring my hurl too! Might get to give a few demonstrations with it!! ;):D

shane0007 wrote: »
    Must also remember to bring my hurl too! Might get to give a few demonstrations with it!! ;):D

jesus this is below the belt. you have everything in dublin and now your taking our work. :(

• Advertisement

Fed up showing the Dubs me hurl! Come a bit closer to ye & a bit better with a hurl!

Fed up showing the Dubs me hurl! Come a bit closer to ye & a bit better with a hurl!

jaysus thats even worse a kilkenny man going to cork to use a hurl have you any feelings at all they might forgive you robbing their work

Shanes got the hunger

Shanes got the hunger

our kids will have the hunger. shane will have the money.

jesus i remember years ago i had to go to dublin for work. it wasnt a pleasent experience and im not talking about the work. fortunatley for you cork is your destination.

I'll even drink tea without milk if I have to. Hung a few pictures in my time too! I even know somebody here on Boards that I can borrow a good step ladder from.... ;-)

• Advertisement

and if they ask any questions dont baffle them with theory. we are ole stock this neck of the woods. dont be making a show of us.

I never speak when I am making money!

I never speak when I am making money!

my mrs never shuts up while shes making money. she works for sex talk .

I have no idea how to reply to that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

my mrs never shuts up while shes making money. she works for sex talk .

Ive heard of her.
    When you ring her you get 10% off a
    Boiler service.
    I was working in cork a couple of weeks ago in west cork.crossbarry bandon and kilbritain durning the good weather.im a regular in cork and its only the past few years that I can get to understand the real thick west cork acsent.even some of the cork people get hard to understand people in west cork(jokeing).as for a boiler just being a service.the amount of people we deal with are fine but you always meet one thats a tool and thinks your ripping them off.ive seen this when I tell people that they need a new flexible oil line

Fed up showing the Dubs me hurl!

Whoops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Whoops!

Were you not warned before about waving that thing about Dublin

Ah jaysus, I thought I'd be fairly safe waving my "thing" seeing that the last time was 1942!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Ah jaysus, I thought I'd be fairly safe waving my "thing" seeing that the last time was 1942!

If its been that long work away the dubs will be alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Lol fcuk sake

• Advertisement
Advertisement