Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding another wireless router

• 28-06-2013 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

I have a wireless modem/router from Vodafone plugged into a phone socket in my office and working ok - once you are in range that is. In another part of the office the signal is too weak but there's a phone socket ( same line) there .
    I know I could get an extender to boost the signal but my question is - is it also possible to simply get another generic modem/router and plug it into the second phone socket and have strong wifi in the second office ? Can the two run simultaneously? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭frash

Don't think it's recommended but if you do make sure they are giving out IP address in a different range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

frash wrote: »
    Don't think it's recommended but if you do make sure they are giving out IP address in a different range.

Is that only if they are running simultaneously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭frash

desbrook wrote: »
    Is that only if they are running simultaneously?

Yes and only if both are configured to be a DHCP server (giving out IP addresses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Not possible to have two active dsl routers connected to the same phoneline. What you can do is add the second wireless router as an 'wireless access point'. Plenty of guides on the interweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

degsie wrote: »
    Not possible to have two active dsl routers connected to the same phoneline. What you can do is add the second wireless router as an 'wireless access point'. Plenty of guides on the interweb.

For reasons which I won't bore you with there's no necessity to run them simultaneously . Is there any conflict then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

desbrook wrote: »
    For reasons which I won't bore you with there's no necessity to run them simultaneously . Is there any conflict then?

As long as you have only one active adsl connection there will be no conflict. Just note that if you are using DHCP your connecting wireless devices may pick up different IP addresses depending on which router you have active. It might be good practice to pull out the (adsl) rj11 plug of the unused router.

Advertisement