Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I can't wait for the sequel to this. We'll have 2015 Arnie fighting 1984 Arnie fighting 1991 Arnie.

Terminator 6:Judgement Schwarzenegger!

Then they all have a melee with Kindergarten Cop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Mein God !!!

I just watched that car crash 2nd trailer, jesus christ, I thought it couldn't get worse then that 1st piece of sh*t !!!

It's gonna be bullshítcrap - maybe even one of the worst piles of shyte ever made.

That "reveal" - jesus surely they must be testing the waters and have a backup plan ???

And as someone mentioned, please don't go see this in the cinema, it will only encourage them.

And as others mentioned how it butchers the franchise ?
    It butchers itself, it doesn´t touch the two Cameron originals.

They won´t be touched - not unless Cameron goes George Lucas on us - :eek: surely not !! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The original Terminator movies were more than simply 'turn your brain off movies' (an excuse for sub par action movies these days). They were interesting with strong characters and great sci-fi storytelling.

Reducing the Terminator series to what's in the above trailer is sad imo. Especially considering iconic the role and the actor is.

Still, I hope I'm wrong, but it looks a mess.

Once the franchise was taken away from Cameron, is was always bound to end up like this, I only watched T2 recently and its flawless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thought that was better than the first trailer. Have long given up on it being a 'real' Terminator film but to be honest I think it looks very watchable from a pure spectacle and popcorn point of view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Know what I have learned recently? That it is immensely satisfying to simply stop caring about redundant franchise sequels and pointless reboots / remakes. Expect nothing and they can safely be ignored, unless the Internet eventually flags that it's actually pretty good (and flagged it will be in that unlikely eventuality - let the end product to the talking as opposed to a trailer). Either way there is no impact on the original films, and ones time and enthusiasm for cinema is better spent celebrating the plethora of films that are worthy of our attention (have you seen World of Tomorrow yet?) - not whatever tired franchise is getting rolled out for another lap.

Yes, it's a shame to see a beloved franchise disappoint or be taken advantage of for nothing more than commercial reasons (I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but surely Terminator fans have long since learned to temper expectations accordingly?). But to simply ignore and move on is ultimately more carthathic than hostility. After all, we'll always have T2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Gintonious wrote: »
    .....I only watched T2 recently and its flawless.

Same here, amazing film.

After seeing it probably more than 10 times, the tension is still there when rewatching it.

The T-1000 seemed like a real threat, if it was within arms reach you were dead. Now Terminators fling people around over and over, instead of punching into their chests and ripping out their heart, or impaling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Just give us the future war we seen in T1 and T2 god dammit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Same here, amazing film.

After seeing it probably more than 10 times, the tension is still there when rewatching it.

The T-1000 seemed like a real threat, if it was within arms reach you were dead. Now Terminators fling people around over and over, instead of punching into their chests and ripping out their heart, or impaling them.

Why does everyone forget the Matt fight in the first film :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why does everyone forget the Matt fight in the first film :D
    Whats a Matt fight? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Just give us the future war we seen in T1 and T2 god dammit...

I swear execs must think that we expect Threads-like horror and cerebal social commentary naval gazing and realise it isn't marketable, when in fact all people want is Saving Private Ryan drama with purple lasers. Why does it have be two extremes, how about a bit of both. a bit of ambiguity.

The latter is a wet dream for marketers. We live an era where this is now possible to do and they're not riding the wave of sci-fi action resurgence of the last few years.

Anyway the last trailer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, thinking about it, Terminators were always a serious threat.

It wasn't just the T-1000, it was the T-800 in the first Terminator as well. You just didn't get into close combat with them. If you did, you died. Very much like the Aliens of that trilogy.

Reese was badly injured when they entered the factory, but the T800 gave him a couple of slaps and knocked him down some steps. And he died. There was no dramatic 20m throw across the room, just an insanely hard smash across the skull and he's gone. In fact, just watching it there now it's clear that Reese confronts the Terminator just to slow it down and give Sarah time to run. He doesn't expect to survive.

It was really T3 which broke that formula and then Salvation shat all over it.

seamus wrote: »

It wasn't just the T-1000, it was the T-800 in the first Terminator as well. You just didn't get into close combat with them. If you did, you died. Very much like the Aliens of that trilogy.

Reese was badly injured when they entered the factory, but the T800 gave him a couple of slaps and knocked him down some steps. And he died. There was no dramatic 20m throw across the room, just an insanely hard smash across the skull and he's gone. In fact, just watching it there now it's clear that Reese confronts the Terminator just to slow it down and give Sarah time to run. He doesn't expect to survive.

In Salvation theres a bit at the start after the helicopter crashes where John Connor is caught in the open by a T600 with no legs, instead of just killing him it grabs him by his collar being careful not to hurt his throat, and then it throws him far enough away that he's able to escape from it because straight after the throw it has to start crawling after him! Its one of the most pathetic things in the new Terminators.

I wonder if Cameron might be tempted to do a proper Terminator 3 when the rights revert to him or if he'll just let it die?

Didn't Reese get knocked down the stairs when his explosive went off?

The Terminators did a lot of throwing, when unarmed. One of the punks, Matt, The bikers in T2...

Totally agree, I just used the T-1000 as an example.

When I think of a Terminator, I think of Kyle Reeses description from T1.
    Kyle Reese: Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

The T-800 and T-1000 were lethal. In the films that followed they fling humans around rather than outright kill them as soon as they are within range.

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats a Matt fight? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Kdw8mRWXo5c#t=2350

Watch the first movie :) It's really good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In Salvation theres a bit at the start after the helicopter crashes where John Connor is caught in the open by a T600 with no legs, instead of just killing him it grabs him by his collar being careful not to hurt his throat, and then it throws him far enough away that he's able to escape from it because straight after the throw it has to start crawling after him! Its one of the most pathetic things in the new Terminators.

That happened quite a bit in 'Salvation' all right, but to me it's the difference between Terminator 1 being (essentially) a low-budget horror film and the later sequels being studio bankrolled blockbusters that spawned a themepark ride. The audience Genisys is after wants to be excited, not threatened or made fearful. The threat can't be too immediate or too real. There's no point hoping or expecting a return to the original films visceral, high-stakes thrills because that's simply not what the franchise is about anymore. It's a victim of its own success.

Ive seen it 20 times, I still have no idea what a Matt fight is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Ive seen it 20 times, I still have no idea what a Matt fight is...

Sarah's flatmate's boyfriend gets chucked around and through a glass/mirrored door. He doesn't survive it though. Neither does the flatmate. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I think the best we can hope for with Terminator Genisys is that its as good as Terminator 3. It certainly wont be anywhere near as good as T1 or T2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

it was the T-800 in the first Terminator as well. You just didn't get into close combat with them. If you did, you died. Very much like the Aliens of that trilogy.

This surprised me when I first watched it, not because it was bad, but because how of how used we're watching people get up after being cloberred senseless by weighty objects, and then Sarah turns him over and it's a "oh no... fcuk" moment. How often do we hear of people being damaged/killed by or disabled in workplaces by heavy machinery and those things aren't sentient, not imagine they are. Terrifying concept.

Fr Dougal was right when he said that Herby was a scary film

Seeing The Sarah Connor Chronicles dead 5 years now and this stuff going is frustrating.

• Advertisement

check_six wrote: »
    Sarah's flatmate's boyfriend gets chucked around and through a glass/mirrored door. He doesn't survive it though. Neither does the flatmate. :(
    Doh, sorry, no Youtube at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I read the John Connor reveal in the trailer is a major plot spoiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Didn't Reese get knocked down the stairs when his explosive went off?
    Looking at it again today, he rolled down the stairs to try and get away from the explosion, but it's pretty clear that he was on the verge of death after a smack from the Terminator
    The Terminators did a lot of throwing, when unarmed. One of the punks, Matt, The bikers in T2...
    True, true, but in T1 they all die, pretty quickly - not the Matrix-esque throws against a brick wall followed by the human running off. Matt comes flying through the stud wall, dead.

On the bikers, there's some in-depth analysis of the Terminator's HUD which proves that it was in covert mode and thus was aiming to draw minimal attention to itself. So a bloodbath would not have been wise. But that's going way down a geeky hole :D

Looking at it again today, he rolled down the stairs to try and get away from the explosion, but it's pretty clear that he was on the verge of death after a smack from the Terminator

Yeah it almost looks like he accidentally kills himself...landed on his neck I guess. ouch :\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The original Terminator movies were more than simply 'turn your brain off movies' (an excuse for sub par action movies these days). They were interesting with strong characters and great sci-fi storytelling.

Well said.

Too many action films these days are "turn your brain off movies" ,just non stop over the top action scenes ,with cardboard cut out characters .

I'm all for good action but a good plot and some realism and suspense is paramount.
    Non stop explosions ,car chases and killing becomes tedious after 20 minutes .
    Michael Bay has alot to answer for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Bay's just creating a product to meet demand. It's the people who support this nonsense and then moan about it that annoy me.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

ps3lover wrote: »
    I read the John Connor reveal in the trailer is a major plot spoiler.

Watching any trailer past an initial teaser trailer is running a serious risk of spoilers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Actually it was the homemade bomb that killed him but I get you:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Just wondering does this film pretend T3 and T4 never happened ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Simon2015 wrote: »

Not sure about the film but I certainly pretend they don't. And it looks like I will also be pretending this film doesn't exist either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Thanks, i didn't realise there were many films like that were still up on youtube, as some are in a 1/4 screen hard to watch.
    will56 wrote: »
    Watching any trailer past an initial teaser trailer is running a serious risk of spoilers

I wish i hadn't watched that 2nd trailer, definitely a serious spoiler :eek:
    The first one was very interesting, but...

Simon2015 wrote: »

It almost pretends The Terminator and T2 never happened, never mind T3 and Salvation. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Who know's what the fcuk kind of clusterf**k of an idea they've come up with. Can we expect to see an orderly queue of terminators (and Kyle) stepping into the machine being sent back to different times for the respective movies (T1 - T3 & Genisys). The timeline was hanging by a thread in T3 but still made some sort of sense.

Salvation at least didn't mess with timelines and was essentially a sequel to T3 after the war started.

With Genisys though, it looks like we've got all sorts of sh*t going on messing with the original timelines. At least T1-T3 followed a chronological order in the dates that the terminators are sent back (attacked Sarah, attacked John as a teen, attacked John & his commanders as adults) but now we have an older T-800 that raised Sarah, a T-1000 in the T1 time period and a new weird Terminator hybrid thing in the mix too. It was one thing to look over the issue of Skynet not simply sending back a T-1000 to take out Sarah instead of the T-800 or something but this looks just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be ****ing 12A again? No wonder it looks dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

This is going to be as bad as Batman and Robin.
    T1 and T2 are such brilliant movies, why can't they just leave it alone. And I thought Arnie would have more sense, but I guess he's just cashing in.
    Also, an Asian dude playing a Terminator, that's just wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Also, an Asian dude playing a Terminator, that's just wrong.

... Uhm, ye wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

pixelburp wrote: »
    ... Uhm, ye wha?

Well they are meant to be infiltrators so why choose a minority group as a disguise?

dan1895 wrote: »
    Well they are meant to be infiltrators so why choose a minority group as a disguise?

Why always make your infiltration unit look like Arnie then?

Lars Henrikson was initially in mind for the role. They even got so far as concept art. Ended up going with Arnie as they wanted the Terminator to be as imposing as possible even when incognito.

• Advertisement

I think a particular model of the T-800 all looked like Arnie.

Like in T1, the T-800 in Kyles flashback was a different actor, so there could have been a bunch or T-800s that looked like that too.

anyway, Re: the T-1000 looking Asian, sure it can take any appearance, male or female, so I don't think anything of it.

Lars Henrikson was initially in mind for the role. They even got so far as concept art. Ended up going with Arnie as they wanted the Terminator to be as imposing as possible even when incognito.

Yeah I know, what I mean is by the logic of the mythology, making every T800 look like the exact same Austrian bodybuilder is a pretty stupid method of infiltration that would work exactly once, before the resistance simply open fire on every Arnie before he can say" hi fellow humans!". Grumbling about a terminator being Asian is just ... well, daft. First I've read of anyone mentioning it as a negative...

Yeah I know, what I mean is by the logic of the mythology, making every T800 look like the exact same Austrian bodybuilder is a pretty stupid method of infiltration that would work exactly once, before the resistance simply open fire on every Arnie before he can say" hi fellow humans!". Grumbling about a terminator being Asian is just ... well, daft. First I've read of anyone mentioning it as a negative...

Don't disagree. This movie's casting seems to be the least of its problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I seen the trailer for this a few weeks back and couldn't believe how poor the cgi was compared to the others such as Avengers 2. This with the weak storyline.....I'm scared now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Em, Asia is the most populous landmass in the world, with 4.something billion. Hardly minority.

Em, Asia is the most populous landmass in the world, with 4.something billion. Hardly minority.

They are in 1980's LA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

They are in 1980's LA.

3,500,439 in 1980.

But still, I get your point. An austrian bodybuilder model in 80's LA is much more inconspicuous. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Soby wrote: »

:)

Probably the best thing from this new installment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think a particular model of the T-800 all looked like Arnie.

Like in T1, the T-800 in Kyles flashback was a different actor, so there could have been a bunch or T-800s that looked like that too.

anyway, Re: the T-1000 looking Asian, sure it can take any appearance, male or female, so I don't think anything of it.

Considering everything outside of the film universe is fanfare or speculation ,it's very much your choice as to what you want to believe :)

The T-800's were described as a new model of infiltration unit, that utilised proper cyborg traits of skin, sweat and smell. Reese outlines the 600 series were the first attempt at infiltration units that were spotted easy due to their rubber skin.

It's not a stretch to get to that while humans were gathered for manual labor, some were experimented on and skint, for Skynet to analyse methods to replicate skin and human exterior functions.

The first film shows obviously Arnie as a T800, and another big guy (who was a model I believe irl) during the dream sequence/flashback. The assumption is that T800 series had different appearances, for obvious reasons.

Obviously then as sequels emerged, it was required for Arnie to be involved. We don't actually know if Arnie was the only mould for a T800.

There was some great fan fiction that outlined a concept to explain how Arnie was chosen to become the mould for the 800 series and it was somewhat interesting. A rising solider making waves, that Skynet captured and used as the concept for their first T800 infiltration model, to assassinate John Conor. The story would take place before any Terminator had ever been sent back through time, so Conor would only know Arnie as a loyal lieutenant, and it would close with Conor sending Reese back through time.

It was only fanfare, but it was pretty riveting stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Also still can't get over the trailer. I read that leaked script that pointed to that, and it sounded gash. But even still, that is a moment that should be reserved for the film, and create a genuine HOLY SHIIIITTTT moment

• Advertisement
Advertisement