Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Terminator 3 is 12 years old now, when it came out big budget blockbusters weren't as over saturated with CG as they are now and there was still a lot more practical effects used, so it has aged fairly well in that regard as a result imo.

Also, it might be an unpopular opinion but I have always felt T3 is quite underrated. Tonally it was a lot lighter than T1 & T2 and that's the main reason it gets derided, on it's own merits it was a pretty fun summer blockbuster imo.

I agree, I've always enjoyed it and if I wanted to go watch a Terminator film, it's the one I'll always put on.

Even where Connor ended up at the start of T3 made sense. It is a great ticking clock film, killing of his future Lientenants in the Los Angeles area, Judgement Day being TODAY. The whole film taking place over the course of the one day. THAT ending and the irony of it

It's an unpopular opinion, but I was annoyed when they didn't ask Nick Stahl and Claire Danes back in the sequel. I thought Stahl put a lot of soul and sincerity into the character. They're also normal people and not supermodel looking. Not an annoying Eddie Furlong and not a hard assed commando Christian Bale.

I think its one of the most powerful and shocking/beautiful endings I've ever seen in a blockbuster. Floored me. Claire Danes just sells it. That discordant music and the dawning realisation. You can hear the terrible howling wind over the radio outside. When she says "we could just let it go" referring to the bomb intended for the non existent Skynet core, you couldn't blame her.

I wanted the 5 minutes later sequel to this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Those posters/stills look awful.. almost like something from the (inevitable) spin-off XBox game rather than a live action movie.

The more I see/read about this the more I'm convinced it's going to be awful. I actually watched Salvation again the other night (in the context of having read the original script that someone posted previously) and it wasn't that bad really.. at least not compared to what I've seen of this and T3's cringe-worthy moments like Arnie and the sunglasses, "talk to the hand" etc... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Noooooo just dealing with economics never mind that

my point is that the money spent on t2 is not that much more than what's being spent on this movie, t3 was 280 million in today's terms

Are you for real? 190m in 2003 does not equate to 280m today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Faith+1 wrote:
    Are you for real? 190m in 2003 does not equate to 280m today!

Using an online calculator it's 243.2 million

Pulled 3% inflation of the top of my head was only out by 35 odd million haha

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Using an online calculator it's 243.2 million

Pulled 3% inflation of the top of my head was only out by 35 odd million haha

They could throw 500m at this movie and it'll still be sh*te!

Faith+1 wrote:
    They could throw 500m at this movie and it'll still be sh*te!

That's the point I was making ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

terminatorgenisysinternationalposteruse_large.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ugh, hate these posters...

A T-800 in a macho action hero pose. The lame torn skin revealing the metal beneath effect on the face. Even the de-aging of Arnie makes it all look so fake and cheap.
    Sarah then, showing a bit of ass (cause every poster can't be about her wonderbra), and casually holding the head of of what was once a terrifying, unstoppable, metallic monster.

Not sure why I care TBH, this movie has looked like a disaster for a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Emilia Clarke looks like she's had more upgrades than the new Terminator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Emilia Clarke looks like she's had more upgrades than the new Terminator.

lol, whoever photoshopped the curve on her arse looks like he was aiming for accuracy within 6 decimal places of pi.

Still wouldn't kick her out of bed for farting though, only if it was a wet one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The posters are just so unbelievably cheesy. I can't understand how they'd get the nod. Terminator Salvation actually had some very decent posters that convey a good sense of dread and tone. I had been looking forward to this as a popcorn muncher but it's looking worse and worse with every new reveal.

terminator_salvation_ver7.jpg

Terminatorsalvation-comic-c-thumb-450x666.jpg

I'm willing to bet the whole John Connor (Jason Clarke) being a Skynet Terminator infilitrator is a ruse and there's something else going on entirely new to the saga. I don't believe they'd be THAT blatant with the spoilers, as bad as marketers can be in 2015

If I remember correctly:

Matt Smith who is barely talked about and hasn't been seen AT ALL
    is in fact John Connor

This supposedly popped in one of the early drafts:

Or Skynet
    is an synthetic alien intelligence, its origins a mystery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Adamantium wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet the whole John Connor (Jason Clarke) being a Skynet Terminator infilitrator is a ruse and there's something else going on entirely new to the saga. I don't believe they'd be THAT blatant with the spoilers, as bad as marketers can be in 2015

Exactly!

The only reason I'm remotely interested in this is to see what the real twist is because what was shown in that trailer would definitely have qualified as a big "Woah, wait, what?" moment (that's to say if any of the initial trailers inspired confidence in what was being done)

If I was to hazard a guess and it's speculation, but just in case
    She has two kids? Or the John from T2 and the John from this timeline both end up existing in this movies future timeline. Somehow, one gets corrupted - how? because SCIENCE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Bacchus wrote: »
    and casually holding the head of of what was once a terrifying, unstoppable, metallic monster.

Even the way she's holding it, it a huge chunk of steel. It must weigh like 10-15kg at least, yet she's holing it like an orange.

Plus, why are its eyes red? Is it still alive?

Ridiculous poster

• Advertisement

Just think happy thoughts people, it could be great :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭No_Comply

Mackman wrote: »
    Even the way she's holding it, it a huge chunk of steel. It must weigh like 10-15kg at least, yet she's holing it like an orange.

Plus, why are its eyes red? Is it still alive?

Ridiculous poster

The eyes fade out to darkness, they don't shut off immediately. Maybe it's in the direct aftermath of her ripping its head off like she was picking a cherry! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I'm going to put my neck on the line and say this movie will pleasantly surprise many. It's not going to surpass the originals but could be a fun action movie that's not nearly as derivative as the marketing team are making it out to be, the glimpses of the non linear timeline as seen in the trailers would suggest the plot is at least attempting something different and not just replicating the story structure of T2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I'm going to put my neck on the line and say this movie will pleasantly surprise many. It's not going to surpass the originals but could be a fun action movie that's not nearly as derivative as the marketing team are making it out to be, the glimpses of the non linear timeline as seen in the trailers would suggest the plot is at least attempting something different and not just replicating the story structure of T2.

Different can be good, but it has to be different because it's worth being different. The trailers have not convinced me that the changes they've made are going to be good ones. Also, aside from the changes, the whole tone of the movie is a far cry from what the Terminator series was originally about.

Going by the trailers, this doesn't look all that different anyway. They've got double the Arnie T-800. They've got an Asian T-1000 (gotta hit the lucrative asian markets). They've got a "new advanced" Terminator (just like T3). We're back to the beginning with Sarah Connor. It's a rethread of old ground so far. The "different" bit is some seriously convoluted timeline messing plot twists that look like twists for the sake of it because the makers are trying to be clever. Maybe it'll surprise and the new timeline stuff works but so far the signs are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Bacchus wrote: »
    Different can be good, but it has to be different because it's worth being different. The trailers have not convinced me that the changes they've made are going to be good ones. Also, aside from the changes, the whole tone of the movie is a far cry from what the Terminator series was originally about.

Going by the trailers, this doesn't look all that different anyway. They've got double the Arnie T-800. They've got an Asian T-1000 (gotta hit the lucrative asian markets). They've got a "new advanced" Terminator (just like T3). We're back to the beginning with Sarah Connor. It's a rethread of old ground so far. The "different" bit is some seriously convoluted timeline messing plot twists that look like twists for the sake of it because the makers are trying to be clever. Maybe it'll surprise and the new timeline stuff works but so far the signs are bad.

I'm out. It clearly breaks my 3 villains rule that has been firmly in place since Batman and Robin, the film sounds cluttered and the way the trailers seem determined to hit every pop culture beat from the first two films,( look he said I'll be back! don't you just love it!) makes it look like unlikely to have an original bone in it's celluloid body. There's more then a whiff of the Robocop reboot about this. In other words, a tedious, passion free CGI explosion fest and a thudding bore.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

New TV spot just released.

Arnie looks weird there

I've seen so many trailers and tv spots that I think I've seen the movie already.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I love Arnie delivering his "I did not kill him" line like Tommy Wiseou delivering his "I did not hit her" line in The Room.

ps3lover wrote: »
    I love Arnie delivering his "I did not kill him" line like Tommy Wiseou delivering his "I did not hit her" line in The Room.

"Oh, hi Sarah."

No wonder this movie looks so God damned terrible. It's ****ing rated 12A a-****ing-gain. I am so ****ing sick and ****ing tired of this bull****. Although we shouldn't be surprised, the marketing made it look like an awful 12-****ing-A sell out cash grab piece of **** movie. At least we know now we can skip this bull-****ing-****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

No wonder this movie looks so God damned terrible. It's ****ing rated 12A a-****ing-gain. I am so ****ing sick and ****ing tired of this bull****. Although we shouldn't be surprised, the marketing made it look like an awful 12-****ing-A sell out cash grab piece of **** movie. At least we know now we can skip this bull-****ing-****.

Lol. Knew it was coming. Waiting for it to release online it is then.

I wouldn't be overly bothered by the 12A rating. T3 was 12A and that was a decent movie. Not the sequel we wanted but not a disaster either, unlike Salvation. Ending was great.

I take it that all the people crying about the 12A rating would have boycotted and cried about T2 given that it was edited so as to receive a 15 cert when first released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Except in T2 you had actual horror and danger from the T1000 with plenty of deaths, this will get to 12A by using the old Marvel trick of thousands of rounds fired without hitting anything or having no effect on the rare occasions they do hit something and nobody will die unless its some kind of bloodless heroic sacrifice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Thargor wrote: »
    Except in T2 you had actual horror and danger from the T1000 with plenty of deaths, this will get to 12A by using the old Marvel trick of thousands of rounds fired without hitting anything or having no effect on the rare occasions they do hit something and nobody will die unless its some kind of bloodless heroic sacrifice.
    or its a robot

I take it that all the people crying about the 12A rating would have boycotted and cried about T2 given that it was edited so as to receive a 15 cert when first released.

I was too young to see it when it came out. I saw the movie when it hit Laserdisc.

I was too young to see it when it came out. I saw the movie when it hit Laserdisc.

While the rest of us muck savages had to settle for VHS!

Let's not forget our heroes Kyle and Sarah being Immortal and walking away from **** that would put a normal person in the hospital, without a scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

You don't seem happy it's 12A

Let's not forget our heroes Kyle and Sarah being Immortal and walking away from **** that would put a normal person in the hospital, without a scratch.
    Kyle? In Terminator 2?

150613_512x288_generated.jpg

Kyle? In Terminator 2?

150613_512x288_generated.jpg

He was....albet a deleted scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well James Cameron seems to like it.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Well James Cameron seems to like it.

And I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that he is close friends with the star and writer of this movie. This feels like the studio are panicking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lol, James Cameron's acting and line delivery still as bad as his Entourage days I see.

Pathetic attempt to manipulate fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Well if Cameron likes it I think us fans will. This will surprise people.

ricero wrote: »
    Well if Cameron likes it I think us fans will. This will surprise people.

Yeah but he also sang praises for Terminator 3 and Alien Vs Predator before they came out. Then back tracked years later and said they where pretty terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Here's what he said about terminator 3 before it came out.
    "In one word : Great. There was a small part of me that hoped it wasn't good - but another part of me hoped it succeeded. And it did. And I'm so glad it did. Jonathon's made a great movie. Arnold's in great form. I really like what he's done with it".

So I'd take what he says in that video with a great big spoon of salt.

Retrospectively Terminator 3 is not a bad film. It's a bit cartoonish in comparison to it's predecessors but on the whole it's a decent film with a fantastic ending that did the franchise justice.

Salvation paled in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Yeah but he also sang praises for Terminator 3 and Alien Vs Predator before they came out. Then back tracked years later and said they where pretty terrible.

I loved them both!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

So I'd take what he says in that video with a great big spoon of salt.

You'd need a lot more than a spoon when it comes to Cameron and "his approval" on Terminator sequels.
    montana-sal-sepulta-vehiculos-concesionario-201519455_2.jpg
    :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Still looking forward to this, it has Emilia Clarke, Arnie, robots, guns & explosions. Just turn off your brain going in and it will be grand. Exactly what these films are meant to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Still looking forward to this, it has Emilia Clarke, Arnie, robots, guns & explosions. Just turn off your brain going in and it will be grand. Exactly what these films are meant to be.

Im afraid you have glossed over the highlight.

It has Arnold fighting Arnold!

A 12A CGI cartoon of Arnold fighting Arnold...

• Advertisement
Advertisement