Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Looked up Bobby George there - I see what you mean!

Proper Darts!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Apparently Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney are dating

She is like a little kid beside him ,she is 5 ft 1 ,he is 6 ft 1

She really is tiny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Saw Schwarzenegger on Graham Norton there last night, he's starting to look a little bit like former BDO darts player Bobby George (aka that guy who managed to break his back playing a game of darts)

I don't want to derail the thread here, but Bobby George had one of the most hunched stances I've ever seen in a darts player. Might have been a bad (the worst, even) case of RSI.

But, now that I think of it, Bobby George and Arnie on a Graham Norton couch would be a great contrast of personalities, despite their apparent verging physical similarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

See James Cameron has endorsed this as the 'real' third Terminator movie, which follows very lukewarm responses to the trailer.

Cameron emphasises he had nothing to do with its making, but gives it the thumbs up.

Desperation or reassurance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I wish Jame Cameron had continued making the Terminator movies. Only his vision is the one that should be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Wedwood wrote: »
    See James Cameron has endorsed this as the 'real' third Terminator movie, which follows very lukewarm responses to the trailer.

Cameron emphasises he had nothing to do with its making, but gives it the thumbs up.

Desperation or reassurance ?

Doing his pal Arnie a favour

8.1 on IMDb - earliest rating , considering most films are 9+ with early ratings - looks bad ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

the_monkey wrote: »
    8.1 on IMDb - earliest rating , considering most films are 9+ with early ratings - looks bad ...

You seem pretty eager for this to be bad.

You seem pretty eager for this to be bad.

No really don't - I just expect it !!

I'd love to be proved wrong - in fact cos I expect nothing maybe I can go and see it and enjoy it as a stand alone film - hardly tho ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Loved how this thread went from Terminator to Darts! I love Boards! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Cineworld screened the original tonight. It'a amazing how well it holds up. The worst thing I can say about it is that some of the effects haven't aged well but the film as a whole is just wonderful.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

The CGI for young Arnold looks surprisingly good, and I really like the delivery of old Arnolds line here.

Disclaimer: Must not get hopes up, the movie will still suck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lmao @ the poster they went with for this on imdb, it's so bad but at least it's not the one where Sarah Connor is holding the metal skull like a basketball player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I wonder who they got to be young Arnold's body, he did have a unique physique in youth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

The PG-13 rating tells me all I need to know about this film. It's for kids. I want to see some punk get his heart ripped out, not the sanitised violence like we see on WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Wait... so in that clip the T-800 can run! The makers of this really are insisting on sh*ting over the original aren't they.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The CGI for young Arnold looks surprisingly good, and I really like the delivery of old Arnolds line here.

I dunno, the younger Arnie running looked really dodgy, with that classic 'rubbery' feel CGI has. Not to mention undercutting the whole point of the original film by having him gallop like a gazelle :rolleyes: I had heard some time back of reshoots for this fight, with the studio insisting on a more 'epic' dust-up. I immediately interpreted 'epic' as 'more CGI destruction'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

pixelburp wrote: »
    I had heard some time back of reshoots for this fight, with the studio insisting on a more 'epic' dust-up. I immediately interpreted 'epic' as 'more CGI destruction'

The style of some modern day CGI punch-ups has gone a bit daft. A bigger fight just has more stuff flying around the screen and it's difficult to focus on the important bits. Think back to the fights between the Terminators in Terminator 2 and you can probably recall each punch thrown, or each wall they mashed the other into. There was drama, and action, and a clear narrative of what was happening. They didn't skimp on the spectacle either with the inclusion of some amazing visual effects (Arnold cleaving the T-1000 with the bar, the T-1000's head melting to catch a punch and then reconfiguring into hands, etc.). If more stuff is thrown up on the screen it doesn't necessarily make it any better. In most circumstances it takes from the experience because you can't decide what to concentrate on.

check_six wrote: »
    The style of some modern day CGI punch-ups has gone a bit daft. A bigger fight just has more stuff flying around the screen and it's difficult to focus on the important bits. Think back to the fights between the Terminators in Terminator 2 and you can probably recall each punch thrown, or each wall they mashed the other into. There was drama, and action, and a clear narrative of what was happening. They didn't skimp on the spectacle either with the inclusion of some amazing visual effects (Arnold cleaving the T-1000 with the bar, the T-1000's head melting to catch a punch and then reconfiguring into hands, etc.). If more stuff is thrown up on the screen it doesn't necessarily make it any better. In most circumstances it takes from the experience because you can't decide what to concentrate on.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Those fights were tense stuff, had great weight to them and with the T-1000 FX also threw in some iconic images in cinema history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

check_six wrote: »

Agree 100%. I think the most impressive thing about some of those scenes (especially in the original Terminator) is that you can actually feel the power of the machine. There is no second chance once it hits you or decides you are dead. It just does it. If it gets close, you are gone.

They seemed to have weakened the Terminator after all this, despite the "upgraded" Terminators that followed that actually "performed" worse or seemed like a downgrade in fact!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Is it just me or do the three punks there look like real dorks! They lack the callousness of the 1984 ones. These guys look like surfers (sound like them too) who were drafted in from Miami beach to play them. That being said I am looking forward to the movie big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It cut just before they said 'F*ck you asshole'.....what are the odds? Oh wait it's 12A

Corvo wrote: »
    They seemed to have weakened the Terminator after all this, despite the "upgraded" Terminators that followed that actually "performed" worse or seemed like a downgrade in fact!

I'm not sure I agree with that...
    The T-1000 was a definite upgrade. It had the same dread around it as the T-800 in T1 and was a genuine threat.
    T3 suffered from a lot of issues but the T-X was a lethal killing machine that didn't hold back. It had that same "if it get close to you, it's going to kill you" threat. I think though that following the same pattern of having the T-800 face off against another advanced Terminator (and win) reduced the threat a bit. Maybe this is what you're getting at, that the T-800 continuously defeating the "superior" Terminators reduces their menace.
    Genisys certainly looks like it will continue that trend to extreme measures with the T-800 facing off against a T-800, T-1000 and whatever that new hybrid thing is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I'd go and see Genisys just for that scene.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Wait... so in that clip the T-800 can run! The makers of this really are insisting on sh*ting over the original aren't they.

The t800 ran in the original. Remember it chased Kyle and Sarah out of the nightclub?

Simon2015 wrote: »

It's the one hook they have in me too. It's a surreal setup for a scene.

I imagine it was even more surreal for Arnie. To think that 32 years or so ago he was trying to break into Hollywood and now here he is re-visiting the opening scene in the movie that made him a star. It's not like it's a remake of Conan or something where he plays a different character handing off to the new generation. Here, he is literally (kinda) stepping back into the scene he played 32 years ago and changing it. It's a fun setup even if it is just a cash in on the nostalgia that is left for the original.

The t800 ran in the original. Remember it chased Kyle and Sarah out of the nightclub?

I'd have to watch again, but I always thought it walked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

He ran in the original, very very fast!

IMDB ratings mean zilch, especially in the early stages. Because it's user rated, you get a lot of people voting it down for personal reasons. I remember when The Wind That Shook The Barley was released and it was voted down massively as it was seen as a British director making an anti-British movie. You're much better off waiting for metacritic/rottentomatoes rating.

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote: »
    I'd have to watch again, but I always thought it walked.

Nope it definitely ran, although it didn't look remotely as daft as it does in that clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

4 reviews up on RT, not very good so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

According to IMDB, James Cameron gets the rights to the franchise back in 2019. There could be hope yet.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

According to IMDB, James Cameron gets the rights to the franchise back in 2019. There could be hope yet.

With the way he's making movies over the last few years I prefer someone young and ambitious who's willing to take chances. The films ever since two have played it far too safe.

Looper007 wrote: »
    With the way he's making movies over the last few years I prefer someone young and ambitious who's willing to take chances. The films ever since two have played it far too safe.

Fair point though I'd say it's the shareholders and bean counters who get to decide what, if any chances are taken.

bullvine wrote: »
    4 reviews up on RT, not very good so far.

To be honest the way Arnie has been promoting this over the last few weeks and with the no personality that is Jai Countney in it plus a 12A rating and the months and months of bad reports about it , I think its fair to say this was always going to be a disappointment and that's why I think they cut it down to 12A cause the kids will eat this up no matter what the film is like and I say the studio be happy if this makes 500 million overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Eh Arnie will be well passed it.by then. Plus Cameron aint no spring chicken either.

Why are people against Jai Courtney? Then again, who exactly are they? The name doesn't ring any bells!

Why are people against Jai Courtney? Then again, who exactly are they? The name doesn't ring any bells!

An Australian actor. He was in the 5th Die Hard film as Willis's Son, was in Divergent films and the bad guy in Jack Reacher. He made his name in the Spartacus.

He's one of those guys that Hollywood really want to be a big action star, but he's sadly got the gift of making watch paint dry seem more interesting. Sadly he didn't get the gift of charisma from fellow Aussie greats like Hugh Jackman or Russell Crowe. I feel bad for him cause they are pushing the poor lad into a position he's just not capable off. Not everybody today can be like Chris Pratt, A likeable action star you either born with the likeability or your not.

Looper007 wrote: »
    An Australian actor. He was in the 5th Die Hard film as Willis's Son, was in Divergent films and the bad guy in Jack Reacher. He made his name in the Spartacus.

He's one of those guys that Hollywood really want to be a big action star, but he's sadly got the gift of making watch paint dry seem more interesting. Sadly he didn't get the gift of charisma from fellow Aussie greats like Hugh Jackman or Russell Crowe. I feel bad for him cause they are pushing the poor lad into a position he's just not capable off. Not everybody today can be like Chris Pratt, A likeable action star you either born with the likeability or your not.

Ohhh now I know who he is. God, he was terrible in that Die Hard!

py2006 wrote: »
    Eh Arnie will be well passed it.by then. Plus Cameron aint no spring chicken either.

Fair enough. I've accepted that the days of 5 star Terminator films are long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I thought that was awful myself.. let's compare to the original (NSFW language/violence of course!)...

- The punks seem/sound more menacing as mentioned earlier. The new lads sound awful and the make-up/costumes are wrong
    - Arnie's responses/expressions in the original are more dead/robotic which you'd expect
    - The classic dun-dun-dun-dun is better in the original
    - The lighting is off too

Rather than give me hope, this new clip makes me cringe to be honest :(

bullvine wrote: »
    He ran in the original, very very fast!
    Nope it definitely ran, although it didn't look remotely as daft as it does in that clip.

Had a look on YouTube at the scene. Yeah, he runs when chasing them from the club. Not in the same charging way shown in the clip for Genisys but yeah, the T-800 runs.

Simon2015 wrote: »

Really ? I think it looks terrible, the eyes just are wrong, they still can't get that right , look the way they move when he hears old Arnie talking behind him... also the mouth movement looks off as well when he speaks.

Yes, I probably will go see it for just that scene :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I've never understood why a machine, built by other machines, needs a heads up display in English! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Really ? I think it looks terrible, the eyes just are wrong, they still can't get that right , look the way they move when he hears old Arnie talking behind him... also the mouth movement looks off as well when he speaks.

The CGI eyes are dead, but I think this adds to it! It's a machine, it should have dead eyes! Rarely does it make sense, but in this case, it does. For me.

Personally I'm not a CGI nitpicker. Unless it's so bad that it confuses me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Dair76 wrote: »
    I've never understood why a machine, built by other machines, needs a heads up display in English! :pac:

Or why it needs a HUD at all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Well yeah, my post missed a comma, but that's part of the point I was making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Yes, I probably will go see it for just that scene :P

I stand by my comment, I think the CGI looks really good. Although Im aware my nostalgia is being tapped, Im looking forward to seeing this (this scene at least)

• Advertisement
Advertisement