Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

This weekend I re watched both Cameron's films on bluray and reminded myself no matter how bad the new one or t3 or t. Salvation is - nothing touches the original masterpieces - it's not like a George Lucas job on re editing the originals to suit his new fantasy of the story - Cameron would never allow it.

Untouched classics.

Also will be going to a showing of T2 on the big screen soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

the_monkey wrote: »

Also will be going to a showing of T2 on the big screen soon :)

Who what where why when

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

py2006 wrote: »
    Who what where why when

Barcelona sorry

http://www.phenomena-experience.com/programacion.php?p=2

I assume this has been spoken about already, but how/why was Matt Smith cut from this?

Edit: Or was he???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

py2006 wrote: »
    I assume this has been spoken about already, but how/why was Matt Smith cut from this?

Edit: Or was he???

I don't think he was.

Seeing as the main trailer gave away such a "game-changing" spoiler, I imagine they've kept another twist up their sleeve, and I'm expecting it's to do with Matt's character.

Only a few more days until we find out.

I don't think he was.

Seeing as the main trailer gave away such a "game-changing" spoiler, I imagine they've kept another twist up their sleeve, and I'm expecting it's to do with Matt's character.

Oh I thought Matts character was
    Johns redheaded friend that was on bike with him and at the arcade at the start of T2.
    ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't think he was.

My mate, a movie reviewer, has seen this - so don't read if you don't want an answer to this:
    John Connor/Terminator thing is the twist in the movie, according to him. It is revealed late in the movie, and is the twist I feared it would be, so they ruined the movie with the trailer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I wish I could send a Terminator back to stop these crap sequels from being made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Okay. Just saw this. And I can't believe I'm about to say this but - it wasn't completely awful.

I mean, it wasn't very good. It had massive plot holes. Odd pacing. Dumb ideas.

But I enjoyed it. And the audience seemed to too.

Touches of humour. Decent effects. And a heart.

I'd even go so far to say that it was better than T3.

I'll probably never watch it again but it wasn't the complete car crash I was expecting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

doubledown wrote: »
    Okay. Just saw this. And I can't believe I'm about to say this but - it wasn't completely awful.

I mean, it wasn't very good. It had massive plot holes. Odd pacing. Dumb ideas.

But I enjoyed it. And the audience seemed to too.

Touches of humour. Decent effects. And a heart.

I'd even go so far to say that it was better than T3.

I'll probably never watch it again but it wasn't the complete car crash I was expecting.

Where did you see it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Where did you see it ?

The Savoy

Premiere / Multimedia / Press screening

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Very mneh. When arnie is heads above rest in the acting front you know it's bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭nix

doubledown wrote: »
    The Savoy

Premiere / Multimedia / Press screening

Just back from it too myself, but eh, it was a pretty crappy movie if im honest. Predictable and a horrible horrible cast for the main leads. Arnie was decent, but was mainly used as comedic relief. Emilia and Jai were cringe to watch, JK Simmons was great but not in it much, regarding
    Matt Smith, he is hardly in it either and plays the form of skynet

The cast was actually pretty good thinking of it bar the main leads, there was potential to make a great movie but they shit the bed with the story in my opinion. Its just a roller coaster of OTT cgi action and cheesey acting with a boring predictable story.

It may have been alot more enjoyable if the trailers didnt give away every single possible plot twist that may have made one go "auh cool"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lol so would you guys say they more than likely included those plot twists in the trailer as a desperate effort to interest people into seeing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Clarke is terrible in Game of Thrones. No surprise she can't do it on the big screen either.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Was at the screening earlier and it brings me no joy to say, I really hated it. The first 20 mins was solid nostalgia and threw out some fun new ideas, but that's were the fun ended for me. If I may be pedantic, there's something small that really annoyed me about the movie, it was Arnie's performance.

I have an odd loyalty to Schwarzenegger, I've seen all his movies, some many times, since childhood he's been a hero of mine, I've enjoyed all of them, for one reason or another, but this was just terrible, it would seem time has caught up with him.

For the first Terminator he spent a month at a shooting range, practicing weapons stripping and reassembly blindfolded until the motions were automatic. During filming he spent hours at a shooting range, practicing with different weapons without blinking or looking at them while reloading or cocking. If you watch the movie, it's clear this paid off, his actions are precise, machine-like.

His performance in this was abysmal, it really took me out of it, his fingers are always moving, his eyes are darting around, as silly as this sounds, there's no sense of stillness, his delivery of the dialogue is all over the place - at no point would you think he's attempting to play a robot..unfortunately now he just looks like a well built 50 something in cargo pants and a hoodie.

The rest of the movie is boring time travel mumbo jumbo, without a single stand-out action sequence. As a big terminator fan I really wanted to enjoy it, but it's just a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There's been a lot of back and forth here over the last few pages about whether this movie needs glorious ultra-violence to succeed...

If you're going to give me any kind of violence, make it movie-violence. That video is an audio-visual orgy of everything we can not expect from this Terminator, and I for one find that sad and depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Courtney is still bland, no surprises.
    Matt Smith is criminally underused, I think they missed one here.
    Emilia doesn't knock it out of the park, and she's not Linda Hamilton in terms of physique, but thought she was actually decent enough.
    Arnie & Jason are up the task.

So, it's all a bit silly. Lots of time-travel "what if's" and half developed "theoretically" moments.
    Action scenes are fine, none overly memorable but at the same time they're not bad, definitely not as bad as Salvation - Marcus & John getting thrown into brick walls again & again.
    It's got plenty of levity as well, something Salvation was missing to no end.
    Despite the plot contrivances (that tend to come with time travel), it's not too bad, and at least they tried to do something with the world.

I'd fairly low expectations, and I'd be happy enough to say it far exceeded them. This is the third best Terminator (it's up to you whether that classes as "good" or not).
    I'd rather see this again than sit through Age Of Ultron a second time.

One thing for those that saw it
    Did they forget to tell us who programmed Pops? Thought it was going to be explained after his arm got ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Haven't seen it yet.

But what stood out for me from the trailers is arnie telling the other one I've been waiting for you

Like these are machines. There is no need to be telling eachother stuff like this, it just tells me the writers have no clue about the terminator universe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Going Thursday evening. I'll post my thoughts afterward.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Haven't seen it yet.

But what stood out for me from the trailers is arnie telling the other one I've been waiting for you

Like these are machines. There is no need to be telling eachother stuff like this, it just tells me the writers have no clue about the terminator universe.

Theyre learning machines. Old Arnie will have been learning more human like behaviour all the time he was waiting for young Arnie to show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Theyre learning machines. Old Arnie will have been learning more human like behaviour all the time he was waiting for young Arnie to show up.

And the point of him telling the other one he's been waiting is what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So the stupid audience it's pandering to can understand it maybe? Audience are not terminators too so they won't have WiFi in their brains to understand the coding of what each terminator is saying to each other.

Just accept that this franchise is horrendous since 2001. It's not for the die-hard fans of the first two at all and sadly never will be. It's a 'summer blockbuster', just like Jurassic World was.

It's a real shame I know, but what can ya do when CGI explosions/terrible acting/bad story get a type of audience in seats.

So the stupid audience it's pandering to can understand it maybe? Audience are not terminators too so they won't have WiFi in their brains to understand the coding of what each terminator is saying to each other.

Just accept that this franchise is horrendous since 2001. It's not for the die-hard fans of the first two at all and sadly never will be. It's a 'summer blockbuster', just like Jurassic World was.

It's a real shame I know, but what can ya do when CGI explosions/terrible acting/bad story get a type of audience in seats.

If you watch the review I posted above, the reviewer states a big problem with movies now a days is people are just totally willing to except an ok movie that asks you to turn your brain off.

For something like Terminator we should expect more, not some lazy slapped together movie that's just simply ok.

"We can't keep saying movies are OK and that was better 'Oh it was just fine have fun with it' turn your brain off. That's why studios keep making movies that are just OK, or not that great because a lot of people keep saying 'Well it's fine you can have fun and turn your brain off'. The first 2 films were basically a sci-fi masterpieces, they really are, this movie should've been a lot better than turn your brain off type of movie"

• Advertisement

Why do you think he wouldnt say it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Why do you think he wouldnt say it?

I wouldn't expect 2 Terminators to converse at all. Just attack.

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Yeah, I don't think Terminators have ever spoken to each other, just attacked.

Oh I get you. Well I havent seen it yet so I dont know how they are playing Old Arnie.

ps3lover wrote: »
    If you watch the review I posted above, the reviewer states a big problem with movies now a days is people are just totally willing to except an ok movie that asks you to turn your brain off.

For something like Terminator we should expect more, not some lazy slapped together movie that's just simply ok.

"We can't keep saying movies are OK and that was better 'Oh it was just fine have fun with it' turn your brain off. That's why studios keep making movies that are just OK, or not that great because a lot of people keep saying 'Well it's fine you can have fun and turn your brain off'. The first 2 films were basically a sci-fi masterpieces, they really are, this movie should've been a lot better than turn your brain off type of movie"

Sorry, in work, can't watch it.

Yes we should expect much better from this franchise, but clearly it's not happening for whatever reason sadly.

But, its all about the $$$ and it will make a lot of money over the next week but will be widely panned next week. Nothing we can do about it.

Sure terminator has be dropped by so many studios over the past 6 years since salvation.

It just needs a real live director and proper actors and a solid story, its just effort that needs to be put into it.

I feel, if they just did a reboot, got rid of Arnold as the Terminator and got someone new to play it. He's just way too long in the tooth now anyway, and a bad actor over all anyway. Wasn't Christian Bale meant to be the new terminator in salvation? But his ego took over or something.

I'll just stick with the first 2 films, their great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nothing we can do about it.

There's plenty we can do. If people stop seeing films like this they'll stop getting made. I'm going to see it because it looks like it might be decent and, let's be honest, Salvation killed off any 5-Star aspects of the franchise a long time ago. I won't see the next Transformers, I skipped TMNT and Die Hard 5 but this I will see.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

There's plenty we can do. If people stop seeing films like this they'll stop getting made. I'm going to see it because it looks like it might be decent and, let's be honest, Salvation killed off any 5-Star aspects of the franchise a long time ago. I won't see the next Transformers, I skipped TMNT and Die Hard 5 but this I will see.

Ah yes, but in reality, you can't tell people not to go see it all over the world can you? It's up to each individual.

I'm gonna go see it, and from what I've read it's a terrible film. But I still wanna see it.

Ah yes, but in reality, you can't tell people not to go see it all over the world can you? It's up to each individual.

I'm gonna go see it, and from what I've read it's a terrible film. But I still wanna see it.

Then the market will respond and we'll see more of these things with more people moaning while still handing over their cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Haven't seen it yet.

By your logic there was no need for Arnie to announce "Hasta la vista baby" before shooting the T1000 in Terminator 2, yet this was that movie's stand out line? I haven't seen this yet but as a Terminator fan I'll most certainly give it a go. Whether I find it good, bad or any degree in between is not certain, though it does baffle me the amount of so called fans who are actively campaigning to hate this movie unseen, many using completely farcical reasons such as the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

I've just rewatched the original trailer and to be honest I think it's pretty good. It doesn't give much away only the fact that it's retreading some old ground and the timeline has been influenced at some point before 1984.

I really wish it was the only trailer I'd seen though as others are very spoliery.
    Even the director thinks so.

The idea is solid in my opinion but unfortunately the execution isn't great according to most reviews.

I'll go into this with an open mind but I'm guessing it's going to be OK at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

hmmm!?

EQ8pOZB.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What's this? They're casting a digital file of this onto a cinema screen or something?

From what I can tell, that was the screen you'd see in American movie theatres. I've never seen them here as much, but it would show various slideshows and, in this instance, the movie name. Given that it's still bright in the cinema, my assumption is that the pre-movie images were loaded on to a laptop, which was connected to the digital projector, and the projectionist had simply forgotten to plug it in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Guardian review gives it 2/5. He hits the nail on the head about the age rating. They don't even call the T-800 a Terminator anymore, he's a Guardian. Depressing.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/30/terminator-genisys-review-arnold-schwarzenegger

'Genisys – because of its 12A certification – lacks the first two chapters' wallop. Cameron's films were unusual for mainstream cinema in that they sutured violence to character to give it meaning. The Terminator was murderous without thought, but with cause. The gore – the body horror of the Terminator repairing an eye socket or flaying an arm to prove a point – was grounded in the story. The slaughter of humanity felt real. There's no fear here. No real sense of dread. The techno-paranoid get an Apple-ish operating system (the Genisys of the title) to worry about, but a tablet can't inspire terror. The CGI doesn't look to have evolved much from Judgement Day. The film feels soft and phoney. In the original Terminator Kyle Reese described how the humans could tell when the robots were trying to pass themselves off as alive: “They had rubber skin. We spotted them easy.” Watching Genisys, you can relate.'

They don't even call the T-800 a Terminator anymore, he's a Guardian. Depressing.

Oh sweet jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Skerries wrote: »
    hmmm!?

EQ8pOZB.jpg
    "You might want to plug in your PC."

2015 and operating systems have grown to be passive-aggressive. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

e_e wrote: »

Next, Skynet!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

e_e wrote: »
    "You might want to plug in your PC."

Skynet has become self aware!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The top comment for that image on Imgur: "GET TO THE CHARGAAAAAA"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Slightly off topic but there has been a lot of mentions here lately about how good T1 and T2 were. For me the original was the best. I loved T2 as well but my biggest problem with it was the T-1000. Dont get me wrong, Robert Patrick was a brilliant villain. I just never really enjoyed the idea of liquid metal terminators. I thought the whole concept was a bit silly! Maybe Im alone in this opinion!

Also was it even explained how the T-1000 and T-X could enter the time machines since they were liquid metal and were not covered in a living organism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Also was it even explained how the T-1000 and T-X could enter the time machines since they were liquid metal and were not covered in a living organism?

Hard to argue with that.

I'd say they just choose to ignore that for T2 or we have to assume it was a newer time machine.

Actually, why would Skynet design a time machine that only sends back living organisms in the first place when it intended on sending back machines.

Thanks, you just ruined the first 2 films for me. :pac:
    kidding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Hard to argue with that.

I'd say they just choose to ignore that for T2 or we have to assume it was a newer time machine.

Actually, why would Skynet design a time machine that only sends back living organisms in the first place when it intended on sending back machines.

Thanks, you just ruined the first 2 films for me. :pac:
    kidding

Van Ling (who worked on T2) said this about the T1000 time travel

"JCO: The T2 Extreme DVD text commentary cites flesh cocoon as one of the possibilities of how the T-1000 was able to get back through time without any live elements. The idea was floating around for many years before. Where did it originate from?

VL: That idea was one we had bandied about during preproduction, but it was something that we thought would be too confusing to show visually it would have been like when Brett finds the shed alien skin in Alien. I still think it's the most logical explanation, given we see a flesh "mold" in the teaser trailer already. The other possibilities are that 1) the T-1000 could mimic the field generated by a living organism or 2) Reese really does NOT know tech stuff and was mistaken in the interrogation scene in the first film. Note that the whole point there was to set it up so that there was a reason why no one brought weapons from the future through time. Note that several comics and other media later played off the idea of surgically embedding weapons into human carriers and ripping them out of them once they arrived."

From here http://www.jamescamerononline.com/VanLingQA.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Looper007 wrote: »
    No it doesn't need to be 18's Darko but it shouldn't be 12A either, For me a Terminator needs the violence and darkness that's what made the first two so great. Where the first two movies made for kid's? look at Mad Max Fury Road not as big a Franchise as Terminator's but it's by far the best film this year and made some decent money with a 15A cert. Imagine what a well written and violent Terminator film would make. It doesn't need to appeal to a kid audience though it would get a wider audience with teen's and adults if it was a great action film like MMFR. so I don't by what your saying Darko, a wider audience doesn't mean you take away everything that made it special In the first place.

I intend to go to see this over the weekend. Have heard mixed views on Terminator Genisys with some very positive and other very negative. The high point of this series was the second film which bettered the excellent original and turned Arnie's character from bad to good. The third film was decent too but the fourth, while not bad, was rather disappointing.

Mad Max Fury Road was excellent and recaptured the exact feel of the originals very well. I watched the original Mad Max, Terminator and other 18 rated films before I was that age. Sometimes, it is hard to know: Mad Max 1 and 2 were both rated 18 for example and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome & Fury Road are rated 15. Perhaps, the 2 rape scenes in the former 2 inspired this. But overall it is chases, shootouts, fights, explosions and the like all the way more than scenes of extreme torture. Likewise, the Terminator films went from 18 for the first to 15 in many places for the sequels. And then look at the bond films: often 12/PG. This is to attract adolescents: but if Casino Royale - which features a violent torture scene - was not in this franchise, it would be 15 (more if made in the 1980s). However, the 1989 Bond film Licence to Kill was 15 and as violent as Mad Max 2 or Terminator 1. Rating a film as 12, 15 or 18 depends on marketing I feel. You will see contradictions all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Obviously the movie was never going to be a patch on the first two but it's a decent movie none the less. It's certainly a lot better than the 2/5 the Guardian gave it. Decent action and the humour didn't seem as forced as T3. I'd argue that there was little need for over the top violence as it the character of the Terminators has already been established and everybody knows that the machines kill without thought, cannot be bargained with etc.

It's worth giving the original a watch before you go and see this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_genisys/

Only 26% on RT, think Ill save this one to pass a citylink journey sometime or something, not paying cinema prices for it.

Advertisement