Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Thargor wrote: »
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_genisys/

Only 26% on RT, think Ill save this one to pass a citylink journey sometime or something, not paying cinema prices for it.

Its only opening in the US today - youll notice there are no viewer ratings yet.

So the real figure wont be up for a couple of days yet.

It had a weird release schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its an amalgamated score of 87 reviews though, what do you expect them to pull out of the bag to reverse that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

doncarlos wrote: »
    Obviously the movie was never going to be a patch on the first two but it's a decent movie none the less. It's certainly a lot better than the 2/5 the Guardian gave it. Decent action and the humour didn't seem as forced as T3. I'd argue that there was little need for over the top violence as it the character of the Terminators has already been established and everybody knows that the machines kill without thought, cannot be bargained with etc.

It's worth giving the original a watch before you go and see this.

I really don't want to see too much humour in a Terminator film. I want to see them do what they were designed to do; kill.

What do they have in store for second and third films in this trilogy? I dread to think. They'll probably have them firing nerf guns at each other the way it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I had zero interest in this but the hammering it has gotten on Twitter really makes me want to see it. I feel like I'm missing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I had zero interest in this but the hammering it has gotten on Twitter really makes me want to see it. I feel like I'm missing out.

Seems like reverse psychology to me. You hear about how bad it is, but it only makes you want to see what all the fuss is about.

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote:
    Seems like reverse psychology to me. You hear about how bad it is, but it only makes you want to see what all the fuss is about.

That's exactly what it is. I also have so sentimental attachment to the originals so I can enjoy its ****ness in all its glory without taking it personally.

Its an amalgamated score of 87 reviews though, what do you expect them to pull out of the bag to reverse that?

An American audience?

MrWalsh wrote: »
    An American audience?

Take a look at the titles of all those reviewers, rogerebert.com, New York Times, LA times...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

If this movie bombs, will Darko still get paid for his shameless shilling?

ps3lover wrote: »
    If this movie bombs, will Darko still get paid for his shameless shilling?

Yes, because actually watching a film before judging it is obviously shilling. Non shills like yourself know that all you need to judge a film is the rating. After all, the important things aren't story or acting or cinematography or anything else that makes up the film, what really matters is what the US or Irish ratings board slaps on the film before the opening credits.

Anyone I know who has seen the film has enjoyed it, they all agree that it's not a patch on the first two but it remains a fun summer blockbuster that entertains and the lack of gratuitous violence and swearing isn't missed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Another bad review.

I can't think of any franchise were the 5th film is any good.

You could tell from the first trailer of Genisys just how bad it was going to be.

I think the only good thing about this film will be the Arnie vs Arnie fight.

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Another bad review.

Fast and Furious 5 is the best in the franchise and one of the best big budget blockbusters ever made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Fast and Furious 5 is the best in the franchise and one of the best big budget blockbusters ever made.

I've only seen the first Fast and Furious that was enough for me.

Another bad review.

You could tell from the first trailer of Genisys just how bad it was going to be.

God damn that review was harsh!

Even the kids where bored? I've a feeling this will bomb at the box office.

Take a look at the titles of all those reviewers, rogerebert.com, New York Times, LA times...

The humour was lost on you I see. Oh well.

I notice the audience score on RT is in the 70s since it opened in the US. So seems to be a crowd pleaser despite being panned by the critics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So was this really part of the T3 film? http://youtu.be/kayFrIR-Qfw or was it an extra on the DVD of T3 back in the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Another bad review.

A lot of that interview is spent talking about stuff that's not in the movie. The only decent criticism she gives is that some of the ideas are undeveloped, which is true. She also spends a minute talking about Jason Clarke's teeth.

Again, this is not a masterpiece, but some people are a little over eager to say how terrible it is when it really isn't. The more I think about it, the worse it makes Salvation look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I think lowering expectations is a good thing for me, as I'm gonna see this film regardless. I'm hoping it'll slot in above T3 & T4, and sure it was never gonna match T1 & T2. I'm also weary of clickbait senationalistic either-end-of-the-spectrum reviews that plague the internet. Here's hoping we're all pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So was this really part of the T3 film? http://youtu.be/kayFrIR-Qfw or was it an extra on the DVD of T3 back in the day?

Extra on the dvd. It was meant to show the human inspiration for why the terminator looks like it does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Daily Express review pans it.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/588073/Terminator-Genisys-review-Arnie-can-t-save-this-disaster

I don't get any satisfaction out of reading these bad reviews; Terminator was a big part of my childhood and it's sad to see it dying a slow death. Not long to wait for the Kermode review (the only one that really matters).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I think lowering expectations is a good thing for me, as I'm gonna see this film regardless. I'm hoping it'll slot in above T3 & T4, and sure it was never gonna match T1 & T2. I'm also weary of clickbait senationalistic either-end-of-the-spectrum reviews that plague the internet. Here's hoping we're all pleasantly surprised.

I watched the movie having not seen a trailer or read a review. Didn't even realise that Emilia Clarke was in it until her name came up at the start of the movie. A lot of the big moments like
    Arnie fighting Arnie
    were surprises to me so maybe I enjoyed the movie more than I should have, however I think a lot of the media reviews are comparing the movie to the first two hence the overcritical and harsh reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Hard to argue with that.

I'd say they just choose to ignore that for T2 or we have to assume it was a newer time machine.

Actually, why would Skynet design a time machine that only sends back living organisms in the first place when it intended on sending back machines.

Thanks, you just ruined the first 2 films for me. :pac:
    kidding

Something to do with the field being generated by a living organism ... I DIDN'T BUILD THE ****ING THING !!!

:p

I've a feeling this will be the last Terminator movie we get for a long time.

Wasn't this supposed to be a be trilogy? Sadly the movie makers don't listen to audience/critical reactions, but to overall performance at the box office. If they did, we realistically wouldn't have fast & furious after 2 or 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

They have 2 more planned and if enough people go see this, then those 2 will get made regardless of fan/critics reactions.

I certainly would not pay money to see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Ahhh, I would. I love Arnie.

They have 2 more planned and if enough people go see this, then those 2 will get made regardless of fan/critics reactions.

Early numbers are in for its opening day in America, it's fairly awful. Worse than the last 2 ( and they didn't have a 3D ticket price boost).
    At this point they should probably hope it does well internationally.

Maybe they shouldn't have given away the big twist in the marketing, at least given people something to talk about. A few reviews I've read said they probably would have enjoyed the movie more had they not known that going in.

Maybe they shouldn't have given away the big twist in the marketing, at least given people something to talk about. A few reviews I've read said they probably would have enjoyed the movie more had they not known that going in.

Only seen the trailer for the first time yesterday and it gives away loads of spoilers of the movie. I suppose bums on seats are more important than movie enjoyment for the studios.

Wasn't this supposed to be a be trilogy? Sadly the movie makers don't listen to audience/critical reactions, but to overall performance at the box office. If they did, we realistically wouldn't have fast & furious after 2 or 3.

During the credits there is a very short clip to suggest there will be another movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Going to endure this mess tomorrow. Not looking forward to it. Wasn't my choice to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

**** it. I'm off to see this tomorrow night with zero expectations. De den den de den.

doncarlos wrote: »
    During the credits there is a very short clip to suggest there will be another movie.

There was one of those at the end of Masters of the Universe too, and I am stilling waiting :pac:

There was one of those at the end of Masters of the Universe too, and I am stilling waiting :pac:

And Street Fighter, The Last Airbender, The Golden Compass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I never knew that.

I don't get any satisfaction out of reading these bad reviews; Terminator was a big part of my childhood and it's sad to see it dying a slow death. Not long to wait for the Kermode review (the only one that really matters).

Dying a slow death! Are you serious, the original 2 are still there and still great. There's no obligation for you to see Genysis or even acknowledge it. Die Hard 4 & 5 are not very good but Die Hard is still my favourite film because it stands on its own
    ps3lover wrote:

Don't the rights revert back to Cameron in 2019?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Re-watched Salvation last night in preparation of watching Genisys at the weekend.

It wasn't as bad as I originally thought, though I felt the final section with the T-800 was a bit confusing - one moment it has it's target dead to rights, next it throws said target against wall to once again pursue.

The whole storyline of the infiltration unit (Marcus) was going in the right direction however. Unfortunately, they too often steered from that direction and some of the action sequences were over the top.

But all in all, I kind of enjoyed it in sections.

Guess that's all I can hope for with Genisys too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Surprised by how much I enjoyed that. Went in with absolutely zero expectations but I thought the two hours flew by - I didn't look at my watch once.

It's got problems obviously but they didn't get in the way of my enjoyment of it.

Delighted I avoided all the trailers - watching them now and I can't believe how much they gave away.

It's a solid three star flick and I'm not in any particular hurry to watch it again - next viewing will be on a hungover Sunday on the couch way down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So i went to see terminator genisys today and even though i was sceptical having seen the trailer as we all know it had a huge spoiler.

But you know what it wasn't as bad as i though having seen the trailers.
    matt smith is in the film but barely and its as skynet. Or at least as a human form

The nods to the previous films were nice touches but werent over done.
    The action scenes were well done even if the CGI looked iffy in places with the t-1000.

Is it as good as the first two films ? Of course not and it was never going to be but its certainly not the worst of the five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Numbers are in and it did a disappointing $9.8m on Wednesday against a cost of $155.

Magic Mike 2 did $11.5m against a cost of $15m same night.

They'd predicted an opening five day weekend of $55m which isn't great for a tent pole movie anyway. It'll be lucky if it does $45m by Monday at this rate. It's open in 60% of territories with cams starting to appear online already.

Looks like the holiday weekend will belong to Jurassic World & Inside Out.

I'm predicting a flop.

OU812 wrote: »
    Numbers are in and it did a disappointing $9.8m on Wednesday against a cost of $155.

Magic Mike 2 did $11.5m against a cost of $15m same night.

They'd predicted an opening five day weekend of $55m which isn't great for a tent pole movie anyway. It'll be lucky if it does $45m by Monday at this rate. It's open in 60% of territories with cams starting to appear online already.

Looks like the holiday weekend will belong to Jurassic World & Inside Out.

I'm predicting a flop.

Those numbers are wrong, Terminator did $8.9 while Magic Mike did $9.3. That includes Tuesday's preview numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Dunno why so many people in this thread want to pan and knock this movie before they have even seen it!

Like the few people above that HAVE actually seen the move i really enjoyed it... i went in with middling expectations and came out pleasantly surprised.

Good action, unexpected plot twists, nice comedy moments and a set up for the trilogy... what else could anyone else want!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

geecee wrote: »
    Dunno why so many people in this thread want to pan and knock this movie before they have even seen it!

Like the few people above that HAVE actually seen the move i really enjoyed it... i went in with middling expectations and came out pleasantly surprised.

Good action, unexpected plot twists, nice comedy moments and a set up for the trilogy... what else could anyone else want!

I suppose like myself, many people who post on this thread would be very big fans of the first 2 movies. It's sad to see just how bad the quality of both story and acting has deteriorated over the past 2 movies, so why would we expect anything to change with this one?

I'm sure it may live up to some peoples expectations as a stand alone movie. The fact that you mention 'nice comedy moments' already tells me a lot about this latest offering. I remember very clearly the first time I saw Terminator 3 and Arnie first appears wearing stupid big glasses, my heart sank. I knew then I was in for one of the biggest disappointments ever in a movies, and I wasn't wrong.

The only way I can ever seeing the rot stopping is when Cameron gets the rights back in 2019. Please god he'll put all this right once and for all and end this madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

geecee wrote: »

To be fair, the movie is only JUST out. People have only had the trailers and early reviews to go by, and from that expectations are very low.

As rockatansky also said, T1 and T2 are iconic movies in cinema history and this looks like a cash-in designed to reach the widest audiences by reducing the violence/horror elements in favour of a Terminator called "Pops" and hitting a load of nostalgia beats (T-1000, Arnie vs Arnie, "come with me if you want to live", etc.) to lure in fans. You can see why fans would be skeptical.

Feck it, changed my mind, I'm going to go see it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm just back from this now. I am a huge Terminator fan, and the original is by far my favorite of the franchise, with T2 an excellent sequel and T3 an acceptable one in my eyes. Firstly, I can say that the film is a decent amount better than some of the trailers suggest it would be - but it's not without it's major flaws.

It has some nice action scenes, the portrayal of the war in the yet-to-be-determined future are strong, Emilia Clarke is actually nowhere near as bad as Sarah Connor as the trailer might suggest, and some of the subtle comedy is surprisingly good -and Arnold, it has to be said, still has the charm. Whether that charm belongs in a Terminator movie at this point is entirely subjective so I'm not even going to get into it, but it worked for me in this context.

In the opposite corner, a great deal of the humor is the furthest thing from subtle and rather cringe-inducingly forced like a square peg into a circular hole. Script is also cliche in spots, and I still just can't like the eternally generic Jai Courtney. It's not to say he's bad but it's just he's never more than that - competent but forgettable. He sure as hell is a long way down the ladder from Michael Biehn's Kyle Reese. Some of the action is just too over the top for the sake of satisfying the 'summer blockbuster' criteria. The menacing tone of the first movie is almost entirely absent, which I know is understandably a major focal point for some.

It's not an amazing film. But it's entertaining and a major improvement on Terminator Salvation. I would say it's reasonable to say that if you liked Terminator 3 for what it was, then you'll probably like this as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone creates a fan-edit in time that removes several select minutes of dialogue that would go a long way towards altering the overall tone of the film. But for what it is I found it an entertaining watch that I'd be content enough to see more of down the line. It may not be the Terminator we know and love but it's a competent enough continuation that does enough to justify it's existence - I'm not sure if I liked it more or less than T3 but the fact that I'm not sure is an argument I didn't think I'd be having with myself after seeing that first trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Surely this should have been called Terminator Megadrive in Europe.

I kinda liked the film but it often felt like an over the hill rock group playing their greatest hits on their second but definitely final farewell tour. Some of the nods to the older films were uninspired and just going through the motions of adding in Easter eggs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As long as you're not expecting anything of the same quality as the first 2 (or 3?) films then you'll find this to be perfectly serviceable popcorn fodder.

As with most Marvel films, there's an over-reliance on humour which is more miss than hit which just ends up killing off any tension or drama. Fortunately, the film seems to realise this and the humour is dumped about half way through and the latter half of the film is much stronger for it.

The whole film feels completely unnecessary as it merely digs up old ground while of adding very little that's new. There are a few nice ideas such as
    Kyle finding out that he's John's father and that he died in the original story
    but naturally such ideas are quickly mentioned and then promptly discarded.

The action scenes are the usual fare; CGI heavy and over the top. It's fine popcorn fodder as noted above as long as your expectations are suitable adjusted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Seen it yesterday, went in knowing a lot of the plot twists from the trailer, but was still enough in there to keep things interesting.

Jai Courtney, erm... he looks like he's a bit lost in the movie, wooden acting, a poor imitation of Michael Biehn.
    Emilia Clarke, completely unconvincing as Sarah Conor Warrior princess! Maybe her age, but she looks like she'd be more comfortable in some teen movie?
    Jason Clarke, yea grand, didn't make much of an impact in his character.
    J.K Simmons, not really given too much to do.

Thankfully good old Arnie was there to babysit the main characters through the movie and try keep them on track! :D

All in all, yea definitely go see it, but all the messing with the timeline, is just like how they scrambled up Star Trek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I find it sad from some people who already saw it that basically the vibe I'm getting is "It's so-so but go see it anyway cause you know it's a Terminator film", that's the problem with us cinema goers today, we're happy to accept any old rubbish they give us.

Looper007 wrote: »
    I find it sad from some people who already saw it that basically the vibe I'm getting is "It's so-so but go see it anyway cause you know it's a Terminator film", that's the problem with us cinema goers today, we're happy to accept any old rubbish they give us.

I agree with ya, vote with your wallet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement