Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Hah, that article thinks T2 was set in 1991 :p

Yup that's a pretty glaring error!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    One thing I realised this morning that I may have missed was did we find out who sent "pops" back?

A quick Google led me (Warning: massive spoilers) here which, in true form, just leaves even more questions!

Having read that, the whole thing is even more of a mess than I realised as I watched it

What was the post credits scene? I didn't stick around for it. (I hate when movies do that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

faceman wrote: »
    What was the post credits scene? I didn't stick around for it. (I hate when movies do that.)
    You didn't miss much, the camera just pans down through the wreckage of the cyberdyne complex to a glowing crystal that presumably houses a back up copy of Skynet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    One thing I realised this morning that I may have missed was did we find out who sent "pops" back?

A quick Google led me (Warning: massive spoilers) here which, in true form, just leaves even more questions!

Having read that, the whole thing is even more of a mess than I realised as I watched it

yeah, the extra terminators have absolutely no explanation in this movie - none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Emilia Clarke, completely unconvincing as Sarah Conor Warrior princess! Maybe her age, but she looks like she'd be more comfortable in some teen movie?

Not sure I see an age problem with Emilia Clarke being 28. That is exactly the same age Linda Hamilton was in the Terminator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

psinno wrote: »
    Not sure I see an age problem with Emilia Clarke being 28. That is exactly the same age Linda Hamilton was in the Terminator.

True but Linda Hamilton looked like a grown woman, Clarke looks about 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Future Primitive

Faith+1 wrote: »

Don't let that 80's haircut fool you. Hamilton looked very young back then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

seen it a few days ago and its a servicable enough actioner which has some lovely ideas in it and set peices.

the raid on the time machine for instance. it was actually nice to see more of the future skynet dominated world and i enjoyed how fast the HKs moved and to see how the war actually ended.

but its just got no soul to it. no REAL drama.

T2 is just after startin on channel four now and theres more emotional heft to the opening sequence of that than this whole film put together. theres nothing in this that requires you to pay attention where as 1 and 2 have plenty of bits in em where what someone says is heavily layden with suggestion

TBH The one thing i really did enjoy in genysis was JK simons doing a "jack mcgee" . dont get me wrong ive no problem with any of the other actors in this, they just had bugger all to do beyond shoot and run.

i enjoyed gensys better than 3 and salvation, mainly cause of the nods of the head to the first two which in places did bring a smile to the face (the punks at the beginnning for instance. gas to think that was actually fashionable at the time :) ) but i was just left with an oddly "meh" feeling leaving the cinema

its not jupiter ascending bad, but its not the fun jurassic world surprised me being either.

guess if someone asked me if they should go see it i'd describe it as a film to see if its raining out. ya wont hate it , but ya wont be pushed seeing it again.

5/10 from me.

and mainly for some of the neater ideas they played with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

You didn't miss much, the camera just pans down through the wreckage of the cyberdyne complex to a glowing crystal that presumably houses a back up copy of Skynet.

Great. Thanks for the spoiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Great. Thanks for the spoiler.

You only have yourself to blame. It was clear what the post was going to talk about, and you continued to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

You only have yourself to blame. It was clear what the post was going to talk about, and you continued to read it.

That's not how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Absolutely abysmal film, one of the worst films Ive ever gone to the cinema to see, really regretted giving them my money for this one. Too much stupidity to list. Worst thing is that just like Salvation it starts out promising then they yank the rug out. I cant even be bothered writing about it, read the wikipedia plot summary, it has about as much soul as watching the film. Emilia Clarke just cant act, at all, neither can Kyle Reese whatever his name was.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

This was pretty bad. I wasn't expecting a lot, just an enjoyable popcorn movie (I quite liked Salvation) but this was tough to sit through.

As a GoT fan I was curious about Emilia Clarke, I thought she was cringe inducing bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Looks like this has pretty much bombed in the states with a $28 million opening weekend and $44 million for the 5 days. That's well bellow the other sequels, and that's not even adjusting for inflation. Really bad for a major blockbuster opening on a holiday weekend.

It may get saved by international box office but I really don't see those sequels going ahead.

Why did this fall so badly? I'd probably blame poor marketing that decided to spoil the movies biggest twist, even the director voiced his displeasure at that.

ps3lover wrote: »
    Looks like this has pretty much bombed in the states with a $28 million opening weekend and $44 million for the 5 days. That's well bellow the other sequels, and that's not even adjusting for inflation. Really bad for a major blockbuster opening on a holiday weekend.

It may get saved by international box office but I really don't see those sequels going ahead.

Why did this fall so badly? I'd probably blame poor marketing that decided to spoil the movies biggest twist, even the director voiced his displeasure at that.

F**k thats pretty bleak, there was 20 people tops at the showing I went to in Dun Laoghaire(scr1), which was shocking even for a film that had such a bad buzz around it . I rationalised that nobody wanted to risk the Galactic 3D(whatever the **** that means) showing but maybe the 2D and Standard 3D showing were jammed. But if the above figures are correct maybe that sort of poor turnout is standard across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

F**k thats pretty bleak, there was 20 people tops at the showing I went to in Dun Laoghaire(scr1), which was shocking even for a film that had such a bad buzz around it . I rationalised that nobody wanted to risk the Galactic 3D(whatever the **** that means) showing but maybe the 2D and Standard 3D showing were jammed. But if the above figures are correct maybe that sort of poor turnout is standard across the board.

I went to see it in Cineworld on Friday and the cinema was completely full... but I guess that's the busiest time of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I went to see it in Cineworld on Friday and the cinema was completely full... but I guess that's the busiest time of the week.
    Busiest cinema in Ireland too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Baby faced Emilia Clarke, unconvincing as Sarah Connor. Hate the lack of darkness in the later incarnations. T2 was geniunely the best one by far.

Faith+1 wrote: »

Granted she is the height of a typical 14 year old but that didn't bother me. I only really thought about it in the one scene where they poked fun at it.*

* may not have been intentional by the film makers

• Advertisement

Did anybody see the bit where she says "Bite me" for no reason? And then "Pops" says "You are being very rude young lady" or something like that? It was unbelievable, who wrote this sh1te? All the comedy was making the 20 or so people in my screen groan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Went to see this on Saturday night - granted we went to see it at 11:15pm but there was only 4 other other people in the cinema.

I thought the film was watchable, good graphics and CGI and stuff but it was far too lovey dovey for the Terminator series - T2 was on a completely different planet compared to it.

The utter fear of T2 just wasn't there, they were almost walking through buildings when they were being chased chatting away to one another. The comedy element was just stupid (the smile) and this "pops" thing was just so out of place for the serious it was like they never sat down and viewed T1/2.

5/10 for me - beyond average, what pains me is with the amount of money and Arnie back they could have made this a brilliant film if they kept it darker and didn't have such an unbelievable story line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm a big fan of the first two. Granted the first one has aged pretty badly in places but the sense of foreboding and utter despair is still present. T2, for me, probably being the peak of Arnie's career, is one of my all time favourite flicks.

Having seen T2 in Savoy 1 back in 1991, I still remember the hype and the posters and seeing it in a packed cinema on a Saturday afternoon. There's certainly an element of nostalgia there. If they were to rerun T2 now, would you get the same crowds ? Of course not, but I'd still go :-)

I'm living in a sleepy town in the UK these days and any time I go to my local multiplex (VUE) which is a rarity, the cinema is never packed regardless of what movie it is. I quite like it that way. Anyway, went to see TG on Friday night with a mate, with may be 20 others there. I have to say I had zero expectations going to see it and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was.

It was great to see Arnie back in a mainstream movie. Yes, there were some parts that were daft; they could have cut out two of three smiles and the pops thing, no different to "Uncle Bob" to be fair. It didn't have much of a sense of doom like in T1 or T2 but it is what it is, Arnie is ~25 years older than he was when he did T2 so you have to take that on board. It was certainly streets ahead of Salvation and enjoyed it more than T3.

If you want a movie that comes close to T2, then you'd need Cameron, Arnie, Hamilton, Biehn, and Feidel but that's never going to happen. Cameron would want full control which he wouldn't have presently and that's if he'd even want to bother with it, Hamilton probably wouldn't be arsed with it due to past relationships with Cameron, Fiedel doesn't compose film score music any more and they're all too old. You can kind of get away with Arnie with working in the skin aging thing which I thought was a very clever approach.

I thought it was great and will look forward to watching it again on bluray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thargor wrote: »
    Did anybody see the bit where she says "Bite me" for no reason? And then "Pops" says "You are being very rude young lady" or something like that? It was unbelievable, who wrote this sh1te? All the comedy was making the 20 or so people in my screen groan.

There was one scene that did genuinely make me smile, the part where
    Kyle and Sarah discover the weapons cache Arnie has amassed while awaiting their return, Kyle asks something about the type of supplies and Arnie replies 'Yes....including pants, Kyle Reese'.

If the humor had to be there, it should have been more in-line with the above - not the cheesy crap like you've mentioned which admittedly was very awkward and entirely out of place - and come to think of it, the vast majority of the groan-inducing moments throughout the film were entirely attributable to the character of Kyle Reese. I think think another actor with the same lines would still have done a far better job than Jai Courtney. The acting itself was as much a problem as the delivery of the lines - whether that's a director or actor issue I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Humour is subjective, the spelling is not :)

Anyway the film is a flop in the USA but the studio will care little about that in this era of mindless movies for export. It'll turn a profit once all the markets are opened (curiously China does not have a date yet) but one suspects it won't make enough to encourage a 6th film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Anyway the film is a flop in the USA but the studio will care little about that in this era of mindless movies for export. It'll turn a profit once all the markets are opened (curiously China does not have a date yet) but one suspects it won't make enough to encourage a 6th film.

Can we consider it a flop already? Do the studios these days need it to near double its own budget before they'd consider it somewhat successful.

From wiki:
    Budget $155 million
    Box office $129.7 million

As of July 5, 2015, Terminator Genisys has grossed $44.2 million in North America and $85.5 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $129.7 million.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Can we consider it a flop already? Do the studios these days need it to near double its own budget before they'd consider it somewhat successful.

From wiki:
    Terminator Genisys has grossed $44.2 million in North America and $85.5 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $129.7 million.

Which backs my point - the drop off will be about 50% week on week so it'll be at around $65m next Monday and $80m the Monday after that and so on. Your standard wide release has three weeks to make its money in the States. Obviously overseas it takes longer as markets open at different points, some may take a while to be known.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Mr Freeze wrote: »

From wiki:

The problem is, the studio will probably only see about 50% of the domestic gross and 25% of the international gross, also Add approximately an extra $150 to the budget for the costs of marteting and releasing it both domestically and worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

ps3lover wrote: »
    The problem is, the studio will probably only see about 50% of the domestic gross and 25% of the international gross, also Add approximately an extra $150 to the budget for the costs of marteting and releasing it both domestically and worldwide.

They really should have put more than $150 into the marketing. Then maybe someone would have caught the glaring error of putting the film's main OMG twist into the trailer.

*takes smarty pants off, hands to Kyle Reese

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 beg0rrah

so not as good a t2 then.....

People complain about the acting in this but Edward furlong in T2 makes Jai look good. Watched it last night and his epiphany scene were he realises Sara is going after Dyson is one of the greatest examples of smell the fart acting I've ever seen. I'm convinced it was rewatching this performance and not the pressures of fame that drove Furlong into the bottom of a bottle. Its a testament to how iconic and well made the rest of the film is that he doesn't sink it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

"Smell of fart acting"

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

everybody is giving out how young Sarah looks, but she was supposed to be 19 in the film so it fits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

but its just got no soul to it. no REAL drama.

T2 is just after startin on channel four now and theres more emotional heft to the opening sequence of that than this whole film put together. theres nothing in this that requires you to pay attention where as 1 and 2 have plenty of bits in em where what someone says is heavily layden with suggestion

Yeah, it really gives off that impression from the trailers. Just another idiotic summer blockbuster, heavy on CGI, light on everything else. Im a big fan of the first two as well and Im always curious to see a new Terminator, but I wont pay in to see this.

I was looking at a documentary the other night about the making of the Godfather trilogy and it struck me that what most of these great films have in common is a very intelligent director who is more interested in the human drama than anything else. They are primarily concerned with and are experts at getting audiences to invest in characters, then they ratchet up the tension/drama. In the case of the Godfather all the mob violence and mafia romanticism played a poor second to making sure people could relate to the characters and care about them. In the case of Terminator 2, all the cool sci-fi and action is secondary to the Sarah/John/Arnie versus the T1000 dynamic.
    The problem with all these re-makes is they are simply cash grabs and the people directing them maybe don't have the skill and certainly don't have the inclination to make anything other a balls out action film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

Went to see it on a whim today. Have to be honest, I mostly enjoyed it. It's far better than the last one.

Didn't really warm to Kyle or John, am still confused about the explanation of "Pops" being there, liked the recreations from the original.

I think it tied together the first three films and the ride. Probably give it a 7/10.

Would much prefer to see less cgi though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

Bad writing, brutal jokes. Bad acting from Clarke and whoever was playing Reese. Say what you like about the last Terminator but at least Sam Worthington could act. No menace, silly pace. One to instantly forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I liked it a lot. Emilia Clarke isn't an action heroine though, she's baby faced as anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

cloud493 wrote: »
    I liked it a lot. Emilia Clarke isn't an action heroine though, she's baby faced as anything.

She looks like a confused duck and has no range. I thought she would be better.

The romance subplot was extremely cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

In the cinema now about to see T2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Went to see this with no real expectations. I was entertained for sure, thought the action was decent and Arnie was Arnie.

There is some dire acting in their for sure, and the genuine fear you got from the first 2 wasn't there, but it was never going to be either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I´m going to see this on Thursday, a cinema is doing a special, The Terminator followed by T Genisys..

The only way to see it really..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

The Red Letter Media review of this is great

"We've talked about this movie more than the writers did"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Not surprised to hear Emilia Clarke wasn't great, found her acting in GOT very one dimensional

Just after re-watching the start of the original & they did a great job recreating those scenes in the new version (they didn't have rights to re-use).

terminator-590x330.jpg

Short article

I would have liked to see the jump made to 1997 though & some better sort of explanation about pops travelling back

OU812 wrote: »
    I would have liked to see the jump made to 1997 though & some better sort of explanation about pops travelling back

They are (were?) planning two sequels so it wouldn't really make sense to explain that in the first movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭crushproof

T2 is still in my top 5 movies of all time, and I imagine it will always be there. I always have time for it when it's on TV. T1 has aged quite a bit, but still a brilliantly dark and despairing movie.

The other two recent ones are muck, so I won't bother about them.

Luckily I don't watch trailers these days, as most give away major plots.

So I went into this pretty much in the dark. The opening scenes were great, with Judgement Day and then the attack on the robots. However for a moment I then thought that it was a simple rehash of the original, just another remake. But of course, the alternative timeline was quickly introduced. The movie slid from here though,
    "oh look, it's John, never mind shape shifting Terminators, let's trust this guy straight away and hug him."

Too much heart in this, and I groaned when I saw it was a PG-13 movie. So I knew there wouldn't be the violence of old.
    I've no idea what the casting director was thinking, Sarah and Kyle were completely miscast. Sarah being the better of the two but clearly didn't have that battled hardened physique or attitude you'd expect from someone who's been building up to this since they were 9.
    Kyle was woeful, and didn't fit the character of a hardened veteran who would do anything for Sarah.

Surprised to see that the original Miles Dyson wasn't chosen. Would have added a bit more familiarity to movie.

And Arnie was Arnie, unfortunately with badly written humour.

I knew it wouldn't be good from early on - a minor thing - but the scene from the 1997 Judgement Day features Prius's and other modern cars, if they can't even get things like that right then there clearly isn't enough effort being made by all involved.

So I hope this is the kill off the series, the directors / Hollywood don't have the balls anymore to make one like T1 or T2.

4/ 10 - popcorn fodder.

crushproof wrote: »
    exploring forest near pick up truck in america.
    saw tornado plus chased, tornado was being escorted by a police car. fat farmer running towards us.
    our guardian gave out cos we went for so long
    What? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Went to Terminator yesterday. I hated it. One of the worst films I have ever seen. Such a shame when you consider how amazing the first few films were.

Actually, I've just thought of a huge paradox from this movie
    Reece & Sarah never get it on at the same time as the original, so now it's a different sperm that will impregnate her (assuming that they now don't write the future John Connor out), so she may now have twins or a girl or any other different kid who's now not capable for some reason of becoming John Connor

OU812 wrote: »
    Actually, I've just thought of a huge paradox from this movie

Pretty sure any film series about a man who was fathered by someone he sent back in time is going to have a few paradoxes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

People giving out about how POP's came to be there etc.
    As soon as Kyle got transported the timeline changed, which means anything could have happened in the new future which is why Judgement day didnt happen in 1997 anymore it instead happens with GENYSIS 20 years later. This is the brain child of the newly transformed John, who already knows whats going in with regards to Kyle etc so he sends a T1000 back even further to kill Sarah. Anyone in the new future timeline can now send a Terminator back to protect Sarah (Remeber Kyles "Dreams" well he was alive in the future after the T1000 was sent back so he could have sent back the terminator to save Sarah in the new timeline as he knows what way the world will end up.

I have to say I really enjoyed it overall :)

Advertisement