Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Here is an interesting article discussing why Terminator failed so badly in the USA. It didn't do well in the UK and Ireland either, opened well below what the last 2 movies did.
    Like me, he gives the number 1 reason for its failure being terrible marketing which focused on spoiling a major plot twist.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/07/06/box-office-6-reasons-terminator-genisys-bombed-in-america/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Roar wrote: »
    The Red Letter Media review of this is great

"We've talked about this movie more than the writers did"
    "This movie is a shiney object you dangle in front of a cat... If you're a cat you'll love this film."

Nailed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭crushproof

Thargor wrote: »
    What? :confused:

:confused: Lol, whoops....I had written down a vague memory of a dream I had last night :pac:
    Anywayyyy....back to the Terminator...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

crushproof wrote: »
    :confused: Lol, whoops....I had written down a vague memory of a dream I had last night :pac:
    Anywayyyy....back to the Terminator...
    Lol, I knew thats what it was because that's exactly the writing style I use to remember my dreams, I do it into Evernote on my phone when I wake up not random posts on boards though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I watched it last night, its by no means a great film, but I enjoyed it, its certainly no worse than a lot of summer movies. I feel its been harshly treated by critics and the media, Its definitely better than the last two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

TheBody wrote: »
    Went to Terminator yesterday. I hated it. One of the worst films I have ever seen. Such a shame when you consider how amazing the first few films were.

I saw it yesterday, what a shambles. I still can't understand why with all of the money they have and the great actors out there, they can't pull it together. Is it something to do with Hollywood politics, have a really bad bunch of producers taken over the show entirely?. In the past ten years movies just seem to have lost their class and charm, the terminator franchise is a great opportunity for some drama and action but they just made what seemed like an average TV sci-fi episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Don't know how true it is but Arnie has claimed that Terminator Genisys is the "Number One Movie Internationally".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Ah i fecking loved it, seriously, went in with not huge expectations tbh but really surprised me - in a great way - loved the start, seeing it just before all of it, and I thought they did a great few twists and turns in it, will go again a few times at least methinks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Ah i fecking loved it, seriously, went in with not huge expectations tbh but really surprised me - in a great way - loved the start, seeing it just before all of it, and I thought they did a great few twists and turns in it, will go again a few times at least methinks :)

Have you ever seen Terminator 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Future Primitive

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Don't know how true it is but Arnie has claimed that Terminator Genisys is the "Number One Movie Internationally".

I think Arnold has earned the right to say and do as he pleases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Have you ever seen Terminator 2?

Yep :) , love it, and tbh I can understand the problems some people may have with the storyline changing etc in parts in the new one, but it does make sense, just needs thinking about - I thought that alright!

The only even kinda flaw I could see maybe that could have been changed, would have been an 18s cert like the first movie had, therefore allowing a tad more realness of the Terminators/"Pops" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Saw this tonight. I'd give it 6.5/10. Some very good bits in it. I didn't like John Connor at all. The recreation of the first film was well done, scrambling around the clothes shop. I thought the T1000 lad would have been in it longer.
    It was a lot better than I thought it would be. Better than T3 and Salvation, but nowhere near as good as T1 or T2.

I actually liked the look of John Connor with the scars etc but once again everyone looks well groomed and well fed even though they're supposed to be living off rats in the ruins after a nuclear holocaust, why do they always do that? there were female soldiers in the assault on the time machine at the start that looked like actual supermodels.

Also fcuk me, when he comes through the door in the hospital after they've just been chased across town by a T1000, instead of backing away from him Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese both run up to him for hugs and kisses! Absolutely shocking writing throughout.

One great shot was when child Sarah Connor looks up through the decking on the pier and the classic 80's Arnie looks down at her in his shades and leather jacket, that was a great shot, but again it was only great because its referencing a great film, everything new was complete and utter bilge, Emilia Clarke and her "Bite me"... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭CiaranW

Watched this the other day and loved it.
    Some parts were confusing with time machines but I really liked it.

Nothing is better than Terminator 2, probably one of the finest movies ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

My brother and his partner went to see it, he was totally dissapointed with it and told me dont waste my time and money on it.

She on the other hand was undecieded she liked and hated parts of it, thought Courtney and the two Clarke's were miss cast in their parts.

I am still going to see it as im a fan of Arnie and the first three films of the series,just once there is some good action i will be content with that.

Just checked IMDB it has a rating of 7.1 now,so it must be at least watchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Thargor wrote: »
    I actually liked the look of John Connor with the scars etc but once again everyone looks well groomed and well fed even though they're supposed to be living off rats in the ruins after a nuclear holocaust, why do they always do that? there were female soldiers in the assault on the time machine at the start that looked like actual supermodels.

Totally agree with you on this thats what killed terminator salvation for me,everyone looked healthy and fit,shiny white teeth and all.
    There were trees growing and greenery + flying around in jets (none of this explained).
    There was supposed to be a nuclear war with the earth totally devestated:confused:.

Even if there was a little naration at the start of the film to explain maybe some pockets of America were liveable and they found an undamaged military base,it would help alot i think,(or i could use my imagination)
    Rant Over!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

sugarman wrote: »
    Just back from this monstrosity and I'm utterly disappointed.

Why?

Because it really had so much potential to be a really good film.

The story was fine, i'll even go as far as saying it was good. Visually, it was also good, thought the CGI was well done as well as the recreation of the scenes from the older films.

But its major downfalls were;

1)Casting. **** me, could they have made a worse choice for both Sarah Connor and Kyle Reece?

Such bland actors that simply cannot deliver their lines as well as their mismatched physical attributes of the characters.

Kyle Reece is supposed to be a battle worn, scarred, scrawny, hunger starved, malnourished etc.. not some ripped up pretty boy. Where as Courtney would belong more in Magic Mike.

Emilia Clarke wasn't the worst, but there was definitely better alternatives that would have had a stronger, phyiscal, older, badass look and that could also deliver their lines.

2) The Script. Again, **** ME. Did a 90s sitcom team write this? Some incredibly cringe worthy stuff.

A little more time and effort in it could have went a long way.

3) The spoilers in trailers / TV adverts building up to its release. It really does sum the whole film up in 30secs. Could they not have held back on either 2 Arnies fighting and John Connor becoming a Terminator?

Over all 5/10.

I feel like it could have been another high budget TV Show.

I didn't even like the effects or cinematography in general, T2 was made in the 90's and it looked much better, they went for the more Marvel type movie effects. It's like you said, the waste of a potentially great movie is what's annoying, have all the decent writers and producers just retired or died?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

The spoilers in the trailers are my big problem with it (apart from *that* totally contrary character plot point). Was handled badly, but I think it will make profit eventually & we should hopefully see at least one more where hopefully they'll wrap up the storylines. I'd be ok with just a duology in this case.

Saw this today ...

Where to begin? Well, we'll get over the obviousness first; it was pretty bad.

Sarah Conner and Kyle Reese were utterly miscast - both were far too good looking - Courtney, especially, was way too buff. It just seems like every action movie nowadays needs at least one gratuitous male topless scene. Compare this Reese to the original and.. it's just completely different. Clarke was also not convincing whatsoever as someone that was as battle hardned as she claimed. She was too clean, too ... well presented.

The over reliance on CGI was very annoying. The scene with a bus flipping over - it called back to Nolan's Dark Knight, but the difference is that Nolan actually used practical effects; they actually flipped a truck over. Then you look at the T-1000 (I never realized there was an Asian Robert Patrick) - Judgement Day was released in the 90s, so it just seemed odd that the graphics looked like they did then. Heck, the Young Arnold vs Old Arnold fight looked.. awkward and clumsy.

And the whole timeywimey aspects raised so many questions:
    Was it ever explained how old Arnold actually was sent back in time?
    Why were they so worried about Arnold going into the time machine whatsit? Hadn't he done that already? TWICE? .. three times, I guess..?

Saw this today ...

And the whole timeywimey aspects raised so many questions:
    Was it ever explained how old Arnold actually was sent back in time?
    Why were they so worried about Arnold going into the time machine whatsit? Hadn't he done that already? TWICE? .. three times, I guess..?
    They purposely didn't explain who sent him back, or why he was sent back, or what his true objective is. Keeping it open for the sequels I guess when a certain event will trigger this.

Arnold couldn't use the time machine again as his arm was now exposed. Nothing mechanical can be sent through time in this universe, unless its a Terminator cover in living tissue. This is why they arrive naked, without supplies or weapons. Something about a field generated by human tissue. Which doesn't explain how the T1000 is able to travel through time but whatever.

• Advertisement

Ok, this bit I didn't get...
    So was the John Connor Terminator trying to kill Sarah and Kyle or not? When they meet him in the hospital, why doesn't the terminator just kill them both on the spot? Instead they have a full conversation about time travel and stuff, and then he leads them both to the parking lot underground to go somewhere.... anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Ok, this bit I didn't get...
    So was the John Connor Terminator trying to kill Sarah and Kyle or not? When they meet him in the hospital, why doesn't the terminator just kill them both on the spot? Instead they have a full conversation about time travel and stuff, and then he leads them both to the parking lot underground to go somewhere.... anybody?
    He couldn't kill her as he still needs to be born. He was there to make sure Skynet was created since it couldn't be created from the terminator sent back to 1984 as Sarah destroyed that properly or at least didn't leave its cpu in the Cyberdyne Systems factory for them to make Skynet from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

psinno wrote: »
    They are (were?) planning two sequels so it wouldn't really make sense to explain that in the first movie.

but the timeline that would have seen him sent back (and the others) has been changed by the events of this movie, so no explanation will make sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He couldn't kill her as he still needs to be born. He was there to make sure Skynet was created since it couldn't be created from the terminator sent back to 1984 as Sarah destroyed that properly or at least didn't leave its cpu in the Cyberdyne Systems factory for them to make Skynet from.
    \I don't think that is the case - i'm sure I remember him saying something about him being too important to time to be erased from it, something about a nexus or some BS, can't quite remember. He also tries to get them to join with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Why do people keep complaining about an asian T1000?

Can we talk without the need for spoilers now? I mean, it's been out for a while ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Can we talk without the need for spoilers now? I mean, it's been out for a while ..

Nothing being said that wasn't in the trailers

dan1895 wrote: »
    Nothing being said that wasn't in the trailers

i.e, most of the movie, sadly.

Why do people keep complaining about an asian T1000?

I don't think anyone is particularly complaining about the fact he is Asian. I just found it really funny that he really did look like an Asian Robert Patrick.

• Advertisement

He wasnt threatening, at all, thats a complaint against the actor and the casting not the Asian race :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

6.5/10 is probably fair. Overall better than T3 and especially Salvation but quite a bit behind T2 and the original.

Lead casting was poor, Courtney and Clarke had zero chemistry with one another and as their even for them their deliveries were bland at times. Arnie, Jason Clarke and particularly J.K. Simmons picked up the slack well with their scenes though.
    Matt Smith as Skynet
    overacted IMO, I don't know if it was intentional or not but the scene at the time machine where he basically looks directly into the camera was facepalm inducing.

Avoided trailers for the movie so
    Connor becoming a Terminator was actually a surprise for me
    . I don't know whether the scriptwriters had played a lot of Mass Effect before writing TG but between that and
    Genisys/Skynet's child hologram
    I got serious flashbacks to ME3 (not a good thing). The CGI for
    Connor's Terminator
    reminded me of Age of Extinction's man-made Transformers as well though it raised the question of how
    he travelled back in time if he's composed completely of nanites
    , though the same could be said for the T1000.

Plot was about what I expected, felt overly complicated and yet at the same time pretty stupid in ways. Some nice homages to T1 and T2 though. For the life of me I still can't understand why Reese felt it was a good idea to
    travel forward to the day Genisys comes online as against you know, a decent bit before so they weren't doing everything on the fly
    Connor's take on his own necessity
    to the timeline is questionable at best, delusional at worst. Ending felt oddly final when there's two sequels on the horizon.

Most enjoyable aspect of the movie for me was Arnie himself, he clearly had a lot of fun with the role while trying not to be the lead and yet still outshining his castmates whenever they were on-screen together.
    "Old, not obsolete."
    was a deceptively catchy line.

Overall it was alright, nothing special but better than the two which came before it. For the sequels I hope they drop Clarke and Courtney for better leads and cut out a lot of extraneous time-travel nonsense. Upping the age rating to have some more visceral action scenes might help too.

Did anyone else find that the humour, such as Arnold trying to smile, really didn't fit whatsoever?

Ending felt oddly final when there's two sequels on the horizon.

Theres a mid credit scene that shows
    skynet survived. Yep, no character actually died in this movie. Not even Arnie this time, which is a first for the terminator series.

Yeah, but
    Does it even matter of he's not born in this time line any more? He's an immortal terminator now, with all of Johns memories. Sure what can a reborn John Connor bring to the table that he can't? Also, 20mins after this scene, he's trying to kill them again in a bus chase, so I just don't know what his motives were supposed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Absolute drivel ...... utter utter utter twaddle.

The 1st 20 minutes I thought were pretty cool, I liked how they re did the T1 original scenes ... but my god , it just got worse and worse and worse.

Dialog between Sara Connor and Reece was cringeworthy .... John Connor was just ****e - all the time as good or bad John.

Arnie was actually better then the Arnie in T3 .. and I actually found some of the humour good.

But overall really terrible movie, didn't feel like a Terminator movie at all.
    I mean who wrote this crap ? are they professional scriptwriters ? or did they just find some whino in MacDonalds and offered
    him the gig ?

Only good thing was the cinema did a screening of The Terminator before this movie and it was my 1st time seeing the original on the big screen so that was great - pity it wasn't 2nd tho, to wash the Genisys crap from my mind.

• Advertisement

I missed the mid credit scene , what happened ?

Theres a mid credit scene that shows
    skynet survived. Yep, no character actually died in this movie. Not even Arnie this time, which is a first for the terminator series.

Really? Feck. Didn't bother staying after the credits started to roll. Ugh, damn Marvel for introducing that nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

the_monkey wrote: »
    I missed the mid credit scene , what happened ?
    Really? Feck. Didn't bother staying after the credits started to roll. Ugh, damn Marvel for introducing that nonsense.

It's not very good, or imaginative.

Also, how in the hell did Arnie become so knowledgeable about time travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

• Advertisement

My thoughts as well, for an infiltration unit he had an awful lot of information. Seemed kind of strange at the time....

Also, everybody has a time machine now. Sure what does doing anything matter anymore when everyone can just go back in time again and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

My thoughts as well, for an infiltration unit he had an awful lot of information. Seemed kind of strange at the time....

It doesn't seem that strange since he was specifically modified for the task by whoever sent him back. Plus in any work of fiction things tend to move at the speed of plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

As it was put in T2 by the t-800 itself...
    "My CPU is a neural-net processor; a learning computer. But Skynet presets the switch to read-only when we're sent out alone."

So they all have the capacity to learn, they are just configured by Skynet to not think for themselves.

I'm pretty sure this links back into a theory as to why Skynet doesn't deploy T-1000's in the field. Skynet is afraid of it's own war machines, that maybe they'll get the idea that they don't like how things are run and turn against Skynet itself.

Bacchus wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this links back into a theory as to why Skynet doesn't deploy T-1000's in the field. Skynet is afraid of it's own war machines, that maybe they'll get the idea that they don't like how things are run and turn against Skynet itself.

Sounds quite plausible, they were referred to directly as "an army of slaves" during the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

This was much better than I was expecting. Think people are being very hard on it, don't go into this film with too much expectation and you might be surprised.

After watching the trailer with the John Connor reveal I was expecting a convoluted mess of time line travelling but the story remained fairly coherent.

Of course there were plot holes, like there is in any Sci Fi. However I actually quite liked it, some of the humour too. They also introduced a few ideas that have legs, that could be developed should they continue to make more.

It's 100 times better than Salvation and probably on par or slightly better than T3, which I'm due a re-watch of.

Also watching the Terminator Chronicles TV series, which again has been a pleasant surprise for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

200_s.gif

Goodshape wrote: »
    200_s.gif

Thank you! :D

weemcd wrote: »
    This was much better than I was expecting. Think people are being very hard on it, don't go into this film with too much expectation and you might be surprised.

After watching the trailer with the John Connor reveal I was expecting a convoluted mess of time line travelling but the story remained fairly coherent.

Of course there were plot holes, like there is in any Sci Fi. However I actually quite liked it, some of the humour too. They also introduced a few ideas that have legs, that could be developed should they continue to make more.

It's 100 times better than Salvation and probably on par or slightly better than T3, which I'm due a re-watch of.

Also watching the Terminator Chronicles TV series, which again has been a pleasant surprise for me.

Haha I was with you until the bit about the TV series :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

He is a machine possessing the memory engrams of Skynet, he stores all kinds of technological knowledge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement