Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Saw this earlier tonight. Personally I think it's better than Salvation but not as good as Terminator 3. Let's be honest it could never beat terminator 1 or 2 so it's fair to not even compare it to them.

Have to agree with others and say the first 30 minutes or so is really good. The
    1984 part
    was quite enjoyable. But personally I think when the film
    moves to 2017
    it drops.

One of the biggest stupid things was
    John Connor becoming a machine. It just doesn't make any sense what so ever. Almost like the writers said "wouldnt it be different if the main good guy of the series was actually bad?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Also, how in the hell did Arnie become so knowledgeable about time travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Jason Clarke is terrible. How did they think he'd be a good choice? And what the hell is going on with his teeth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Which backs my point - the drop off will be about 50% week on week so it'll be at around $65m next Monday and $80m the Monday after that and so on. Your standard wide release has three weeks to make its money in the States. Obviously overseas it takes longer as markets open at different points, some may take a while to be known.

Close enough to award myself a gold star! :)
    Terminator: Genisys Par. $13,700,000 -49.3% 3,783 +25 $3,621 $68,718,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Still torn on wether to go see this or not.

Absolute adore Terminator, love Arnie, but need to be selective with films I go to see. Something just screams wait for home viewing on this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

TheDoc wrote: »
    Still torn on wether to go see this or not.

Absolute adore Terminator, love Arnie, but need to be selective with films I go to see. Something just screams wait for home viewing on this :(

I think all the creative people unhappy with the state of film should go into film-making and try and reinstate the old values that have been lost. A lot easier said than done though :o.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

As an aside, how is it Arnie is able to build a time machine on his own in 1984 but John Connor with vast resources struggles to do the same in 2017?

IIRC they presented the T800 chip as the missing link in the 1984 machine, but that doesn't really make any sense either - they can build Skynet in 2017, you'd think they could build a CPU for the machine too...

Anyway, this movie was not very good at all. Frankly, it was dull and pretty much never felt like a Terminator movie to me. If I could bring myself to rewatch it again, I'd probably even rank Salvation above it. That was equally bland but it did occasionally feel like part of the series. Whoever said Genisys feels like a fan-fic was spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Just back from this, had its moments but definitely actor choice was poor. I got seriously bored midway with the dialogue between Sarah and Kyle.

Didn't help that the group of teens behind me couldn't stop talking. Seriously, people under 20 should not be allowed into a cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

As an aside, how is it
    Arnie is able to build a time machine on his own
    in 1984 but
    John Connor
    with vast resources struggles to do the same in 2017?

IIRC they presented the T800 chip as the missing link in the 1984 machine, but that doesn't really make any sense either - they can build Skynet in 2017, you'd think they could build a CPU for the machine too...

The most logical explanation for me was
    that Pops's home-made time machine would only work once before frying itself (and the CPU), hence why he had to take "the long way" instead of just waiting for his flesh to reseal and then making a second jump. He needed the T-800's CPU because processors of that era wouldn't have been strong enough to make the calculations, but also because we know from T2 Arnie/Pops himself that T-800s have at least some pre-programmed knowledge of temporal theory and mechanics.
    John Connor's
    /Skynet's time machine on the other hand has to make at least 7-10 jumps to various different time periods depending on how many timelines Genisys acknowledges, all within a very short space of time (only a few hours) and still be functional. Processor power or the calculations likely weren't a factor so much as sustainability was. I also got the feeling
    Connor
    had to pull his punches with regard to his "genius" or it may have aroused suspicion. It's clear he's seen as a Tony Stark-esque omnidisciplinary scientist already.

At least, that was the explanation that made sense in my head.

On a complete sidenote, I'm surprised most people are mentioning Pop's attempts to smile being so out of place, T2 Arnie does exactly the same thing with exactly as little success.
    I'd probably even rank Salvation above it.

Now let's not go crazy and say things we can't take back.

• Advertisement

Confession: I watched Salvation again recently and actually enjoyed it. I've never really understood why people didn't like it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Confession: I watched Salvation again recently and actually enjoyed it. I've never really understood why people didn't like it?

Don't forget your coat when you leave the internet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

It falls apart at the end but it's an enjoyable film...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

At least Salvation used a new point of view rather then trying a cheap imitation of the 1st 2 like T3.

as for the latest ... a total mess

It falls apart at the end but it's an enjoyable film...

Thank you! I mean after Rise of the Machines it was a good watch. Great set pieces, decent acting, pretty OK story, so I never really understood why people kept slating it. Yes, it fell apart at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It was slated because it was a fooking stupid insult to the first 2 films with giant robots with motorbikes in their legs. Good acting? Seriously? Also Kyle Reese and his cutesy little kid sidekick, pathetic.

• Advertisement

And Genisys and Rise of the Machines aren't huge slaps to the already rotting corpse of the Terminator franchise? I get what you're saying, but I don't personally believe that Salvation is anywhere near as as the previous two ones I've mentioned.

Also you can't really use Cinema Sins to back up your argument; they are known to nitpick absolutely everything and award "sins" for when a scene doesn't contain a lapdance. I mean, I like their videos, but it does get tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

And Genisys and Rise of the Machines aren't huge slaps to the already rotting corpse of the Terminator franchise? I get what you're saying, but I don't personally believe that Salvation is anywhere near as as the previous two ones I've mentioned.
    Yes they are equally sh1t in their own ways, did you think I was defending them or something?

That Cinema Sins video is an excellent summary of why Salvation is so bad, I dont care what CS do in other videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

They should have stuck with the R rated script for Salvation, it was a lot better than the final product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Also you can't really use Cinema Sins to back up your argument; they are known to nitpick absolutely everything and award "sins" for when a scene doesn't contain a lapdance. I mean, I like their videos, but it does get tedious.

To be fair Terminator 3 is a different league compared to Salvation. It's perfectly fine to like Salvation as a film either, personally I consider it easily the worst Terminator movie but in itself it's certainly watchable. However even critics who very much disliked Genisys considered it superior to Salvation; 'It's better than Salvation but that's not saying much' has appeared, give or take, in countless reviews. I would say you're in the minority to consider Salvation better than T3 or Genisys. T3 in particular has a fantastic and surprisingly bleak ending that really took me by surprise - in a sense it was a shame that a T4 didn't build from that.

It just seems that T3's only saving grace is its ending, but, tbh, I personally don't think it makes up for everything that came before it. Let's never forget it had Arnie say, "Talk to the hand" :pac:

But then again, debating Genysis, Salvation, or T3 is like asking, which is worse - genital herpes or arse warts?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

T3 is miles ahead of Salvation and is pretty underrated imo, it was a decent blockbuster with some good set pieces and got mainly good reviews when it came out too. It was too similar to what came before was the main issue I had with it, story wise it was just a rehash of T2 with a more bleak ending.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

It just seems that T3's only saving grace is its ending, but, tbh, I personally don't think it makes up for everything that came before it. Let's never forget it had Arnie say, "Talk to the hand" :pac:

But then again, debating Genysis, Salvation, or T3 is like asking, which is worse - genital herpes or arse warts?

What about Genital Warts or Arse Herpes? :P

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    T3 is miles ahead of Salvation and is pretty underrated imo, it was a decent blockbuster with some good set pieces and got mainly good reviews when it came out too. It was too similar to what came before was the main issue I had with it, story wise it was just a rehash of T2 with a more bleak ending.
    Main issue I had with it was;

1) Claire Danes Screaming is annoying as ****
    2) John Connor was badly cast

I agree with everything else. Was a good movie with some great action, and Arnie is the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Thargor wrote: »
    It was slated because it was a fooking stupid insult to the first 2 films with giant robots with motorbikes in their legs. Good acting? Seriously? Also Kyle Reese and his cutesy little kid sidekick, pathetic.

Had a look at that there. It's entertaining but it's soooo picky. Most the "sins" are just vaguely funny jokes they're trying to make and are not actually anything wrong with the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So finally got to see Terminator Genisis today and have to say it is a much better film than the last film which was just dreadful and dull. I think there is some plot holes in it but it was also funny in parts too. I do agree that the actress that plays Sarah O Conner is just too young looking and it should have been a different actress. As for T3 its a much better film than T4.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Haven't seen it yet but will this weekend to see Arnie doing probably his last Terminator movie. Not expecting too much, hopefully some good Arnie one-liners and some cool stunts.

I think people over analyse movies these days, movies like Terminator are not supposed to be taken too seriously.

Anyway, most franchises that are onto their fifth movie are well into the law of diminishing returns, so why the shock when it's not as good as the first one or two?

As Arnie says "I'll be back" when I've seen the movie !

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭PBWXFORD

Ive seen it and yes it is a good movie and worth going to see, but i would still prefer T1 or T2. Its a different type of movie to these 2 in that i think it is lighter and not as serious but that is mostly because of its 12A rating whereas the first and second were 15 and 18. This was the same with T3 being a 12A also. I would put it as the first 2 being adult movies and the latter being more family friendly fit for younger viewers but for me personally this kind of spoils it a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Just saw it, LOVED IT!

Don't know what you guys are moaning about. Was a great mix of T1, T2 and T3 with good story line, not great, but good!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm shocked to say I quite enjoyed this film. It could have done with less corny jokes. But all around a decent film.

Miles better than Salvation and possibly better that T3.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

The "pops" thing was just so fu****g stupid. A poor film, Jai Courtney wasn't great and neither was Sarah Connor. I wouldn't think the sequels will go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

T3 is aweful but Genisys worked out as an entertaining flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Should put a poll on this thread to see who enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Saw this last night and after hearing so much negativity my expectations were very low. I have to say i enjoyed it, typical popcorn flick and leave your brain at the door kind of thing but it was entertaining. Arnie was the star of the show IMO but the terminator series is definitely a state of diminishing returns at this stage. I'd give it 6.5/7 out of ten but doubt i'd be in a rush to watch it again. The start in 1984 was probably the best part of the film for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

jones wrote: »
    typical popcorn flick and leave your brain at the door kind of thing

I hate that description regardless of the movie.

I need my brain to be engaged on some level. It speaks volumes about the movie that people would say it's a good movie if you turn your brain off. Almost like they're embarrassed to say they liked it without this conditional statement.

If you liked the movie your brain was needed to come to that decision, same if you didn't like it.

I didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

pah wrote: »
    I hate that description regardless of the movie.

I need my brain to be engaged on some level. It speaks volumes about the movie that people would say it's a good movie if you turn your brain off. Almost like they're embarrassed to say they liked it without this conditional statement.

If you liked the movie your brain was needed to come to that decision, same if you didn't like it.

I didn't.

It's a term i use to describe something that doesn't require a lot of thought...like lets say transformers and the like. You go in for the spectacle not the thought provoking questions the film may pose.
    Definitely not embarrassed to say i liked it????

i wonder how many attempts at starting a new trilogy we're going to get with with franchise. Salvation failed, now this has failed.

ps3lover wrote: »
    i wonder how many attempts at starting a new trilogy we're going to get with with franchise. Salvation failed, now this has failed.

Wasn't this a box office success though?

Wasn't this a box office success though?

It's still a bit too early to tell but it's a disaster domestically, it's doing ok internationally but it's trailing Salvations numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Surprisingly enjoyed this. Easily better over all than the last two, and I thought Salvation actually had it's moments (wouldn't piss on three to put out a fire though).

The pacing seemed a bit slow in places but nothing else was as bad as I'd feared. I guess my low expectations might have helped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

jones wrote: »
    It's a term i use to describe something that doesn't require a lot of thought...like lets say transformers and the like. You go in for the spectacle not the thought provoking questions the film may pose.
    Definitely not embarrassed to say i liked it????

A film can require more or less thought and it can also be more or less good. The two shouldn't be conflated but they often are. This film has terrible acting and a terrible script. It's trash and totally forgetable. Mad Max was one big car chase and it was smarter and twenty times better. Best film of the year even. The Terminator franchise really coud be great but this film with Arnie included is a disaster so I think that's the end of it. I hope so anyway. Sure why can't we get a new killer robot movie altogether. That'd be best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Goodshape wrote: »
    Surprisingly enjoyed this. Easily better over all than the last two, and I thought Salvation actually had it's moments (wouldn't piss on three to put out a fire though).

That's about how I feel as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I actually loved this! I didn't expect to at all, and there were a couple of minor plot holes (but hey, temporal mechanics are confusing at the best of times) but I was entertained from start to finish and was happy to see
    a happy ending for once, that our fate is not sealed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I saw this in the Odeon in Blanchardstown and the picture quality was awful. It looked like it had been ripped from the internet! There was little detail in the image and frequently had orange/blue banding on faces and backgrounds. I would have complained, but nobody else seemed to be bothered by it. I've never seen a film in the cinema with such noticeably bad picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

ps3lover wrote: »

I've been reading up on the original films esp T2 to find out what's gone wrong with the subsequent releases and there seems to be a big gap in the hard work and creativity that was put into those original films and T3 onwards. I don't think the same time and effort is being taken nowadays which is a pity, I'd like to see a fresh start and for the project to be taken seriously to give the fans a worthy film.

www.jamescamerononline.com/T2Complexity.htm

www.animatormag.com/archive/issue-30/issue-30-page-14/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    I saw this in the Odeon in Blanchardstown and the picture quality was awful. It looked like it had been ripped from the internet! There was little detail in the image and frequently had orange/blue banding on faces and backgrounds. I would have complained, but nobody else seemed to be bothered by it. I've never seen a film in the cinema with such noticeably bad picture quality.

Sounds like you were watching the 3D version. Did everyone else have glasses on?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Sounds like you were watching the 3D version. Did everyone else have glasses on?

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I was somewhat distracted during the entire film as the actor playing John Connor pulled a face early in the film which may him look like Mario rosenstock with his vincent brown expression which i could not then unsee for the rest of the film.

On the plus side i got to see Vincent Brown fight Arnold Swneiogbwgebepowt

So -- how has this performed at the box office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

So -- how has this performed at the box office?

$280 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

No, definitely not (and stop laughing :D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement