Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

So -- how has this performed at the box office?

Article about the box office performance and chances of sequels,
    they're slim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

ps3lover wrote: »
    Article about the box office performance and chances of sequels,
    they're slim!

Really? I liked it for what it was. Jurassic World was one of the worst movies I have ever seen and that broke box office records!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

When did summer blockbusters become so divisive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

When instead of just poor sequels, and unnecessary prequels, Hollywood started "re-imagining" fondly remembered classics and then tried to "sell" these washed out, soul/humor-less shells to the same audience.

Genisys is just the latest example - see also: Total Recall (2012), RoboCop (2014), JJ's CGI Space War with Pretty People Star Trek etc

The Nolan Batman trilogy is probably the only successful recent attempt that comes to mind immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I was somewhat distracted during the entire film as the actor playing John Connor pulled a face early in the film which may him look like Mario rosenstock with his vincent brown expression which i could not then unsee for the rest of the film.
    With joke teeth.
    Anyone else a bit unnerved by his teeth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    With joke teeth.

They weren't the best but I don't think they're on the level of 'The big book of British smiles'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

This ain't a case of that, its just people expecting another T2, which was lightning in a bottle. This movie was perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    With joke teeth.

I could forgive the teeth, it's his acting and lack of presence that I have a problem with. I'm sure he's probably a decent guy, but he just doesn't have the right presence on screen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Does Anrie look this old in Genisys ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes? He's 67, what do you expect him to look like?

Yes? He's 67, what do you expect him to look like?

Stallone looks a lot better for his age.

Stallone has had a lot of work done. Both men are in good shape, but Arnold hasn't gone the whole facelift/botox/hair transplant route. Nothing wrong with that and he still looks good for 67.

Stallone has had a lot of work done. Both men are in good shape, but Arnold hasn't gone the whole facelift/botox/hair transplant route. Nothing wrong with that and he still looks good for 67.

Arnie did have plastic surgery.

That's something Arnie has always denied, and there's not really any obvious tell-tale signs either. Anything he had done would be nowhere near on the scale of Stallone. There's some scenes in Expendables he can barely make any facial expression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't get the hate this film is getting, i personally thought it was the best since T2, and better than T1 (so, T2>Genesys>T1>T3>Salvation). It's been a few weeks since i've seen it, but i remember coming out of the cinema extremely satisified and hugely surprised at how good it was. If anyone has been noticing, i prefer these kinds of films to most thought provoking and artsy stuff, and i think Genesys delivered.

I think i'll have to go see it again, but i'm going to stick with my opinion and say that it was extremely enjoyable. I don't think i got bored at any stage, and I suppose it helps that i think Emilia Clarke is smokin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Going again to see this with friend during the week but can't find anywhere (in Dublin) still showing it on a decent sized screen (Cineworld about the best).

Are all iSense and IMax screenings over now?

That's something Arnie has always denied, and there's not really any obvious tell-tale signs either. Anything he had done would be nowhere near on the scale of Stallone. There's some scenes in Expendables he can barely make any facial expression.

Its obvious Arnie had atleast one facelift.

You can tell he had work done inbetween The 6th Day and Collateral Damage.

Just look at how much smaller his lips are in Collateral Damage compared to what he looked like in The 6th Day and pervious films.

His skin is also alot tighter by the time he made Collateral Damage.

If thats not a facelift then I don't know what is ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Don't get the hate this film is getting, i personally thought it was the best since T2, and better than T1 (so, T2>Genesys>T1>T3>Salvation). It's been a few weeks since i've seen it, but i remember coming out of the cinema extremely satisified and hugely surprised at how good it was. If anyone has been noticing, i prefer these kinds of films to most thought provoking and artsy stuff, and i think Genesys delivered.

Better than T1? You do realise the first part of the movie is basically an homage to T1? That it's riding on the coattails of a film that was made for a fraction of the budget but is a totally superior film?

• Advertisement

• Watched this last night.....still don't know what to think....
    Need to have another watch before I make a final decision as there was some plot points I missed
    PG13 action annoys me, I wish there were more shoot outs etc...some of the dialogue was drawn out and over-explained

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

I finally got to see this and overall it was ok with some good ideas, and while the action scenes were good it was let down by some of the actors.

Arnie was Arnie, JK Simmons (though a small part) was fine but the rest of the main cast didn't work the two Clarke's and Courtney,they just didn't do it for me.

There was no chemistry between them and a lot of their scenes looked forced and fake.Also this film was crying out to be rated 18's.

If there is to be a follow up to this i would consider not seeing it if the main actors excluding Arnie are involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

I watched it in the cinema with my brother last week and really enjoyed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Thought this Terminator was rubbish. Silliest storyline yet, awful dialogue, lousy acting, mediocre action scenes. FWIW I thought the second sequel was watchable and the Christian Bale movie was serviceable but I had checked out by then so I was expecting this new one to be poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Sometime in the 1980s. Probably with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

zeffabelli wrote:
    Can you tell her you appreciate this is a priority for her but you don't mind if it gets a little messy and that you both need more social inputs.

Really enjoyed this movie arnie was fantastic in it.the action scenes were brilliant and would definitely watch a second time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I watched it at the weekend and actually thought it was grand. I suppose you'll alwasy be surprised when your expectations are at rock bottom, but I'd watch it again. I actually liked the way it tied into the first film, but some of the stuff didnt make much sense - namely Kyle reese having 2 sets of memories as a result of the terminators actions as he was about to be sent back in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

- watched the film
    - liked it
    - went on to watch Arnies other recent (very violent) film Sabotage
    - liked it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Enjoyed this infinitely more than T4 which was one of the very worst blockbusters Ive ever seen.

Id rate them as follows, strongest to weakest:

T2
    A tie between T5 and T3
    The first one
    And T4

The first film was a great watch the first time around but I never loved repeat viewings of it. I realise that isnt a popular opnion but I also see Im not the first on this thread to think T3 was a better film

It helped that Emilia Clarke was smoking hot in this, much moreso than she is in Game Of Thrones.

10385806-large.jpg

All in all probably the best popcorn Action film Ive seen since Edge Of Tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I am appauled by the film. I love the Terminator series and I actually thought that the premise of this film was quite decent (bar one or two parts) but there was way too much CGI in it and the action scenes were too over the top.

Having looked at the budget of the film, it looks like it was just made on the cheap. Google/Skynet is telling me that the Budget for this was €155 million. Ok, that is a lot of money but when you look back to T2 in 1992, the budget was 100 million and T3 was 187 million. 100 million back in 1992 was an obcene amount of money but it was worth it. The major scenes with the chase in T2 were filmed properly and looked realistic because it was what they actually filmed.

The great thing about T1 and T2 (and even T3) was that despite the fact that its a Sci-Fi film, the scenes in the films were realistic. And James Cameron actually shot the scenes, which were incredibly ambitious to do. I was watching the big scenes in this movie and thinking, meh. Its was done via some guy on a computer.

I'm not asking them to do the big scenes in the film as in real life. I just thought if they scaled down the big action scenes and did them properly rather than on a computer.

I'm not a hater of CGI but it doesnt work for Terminator. I know Terminator needs CGI with the Terminators morphing and melting etc but not for the big action scenes. It just look like another one of those copious amount of Super Hero films.

Im very sad and disappointed. Terminator deserves better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Terminator (I'm sure most people here who saw Terminator are well over 30 now) and the follow up films have an adult audience an so should carry an adult rating, this is what really is lacking in this film a ten year old could watch this and not be traumatised.

Honestly there is a Terminator chasing you I'm sure you won't be saying dam or heck. I honestly can't remember if there was a scene with really bad language or even blood, i honestly can't.

Give this film back to us Adults and give it a proper script writer, give us actors who can act and we can sympathise with and hopefully get Cameron back on board.

Its just too nice, the studios are trying to pander to all ages and this is where a lot of films including this are lost or let down.

As was said in other posts CGI for me is the new lazy man's director way out of doing things, and the majority of directors just couldn't be bothered or are just to lazy to direct live action scenes.

CGI has its place and brings us wonderful visual experiences but you can't beat something physically been filmed imo.

I loved the first two films the best in the series,T3 was ok but after that you could see the franchise was slipping rapidly into the abyss.

Like i said Genisys has some good points but for me its just too childish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

A mess. Mediocre action and special effects, cringy dialogue and woeful acting from Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney (bloody hell he has zero charisma of any sort). Also managed to utterly waste JK Simmons, Matt Smith AND Jason Clarke.

I lasted about 30 mins then it had to be switched off. Arnie was almost doing a parody of himself. Awfully fake and forced from what I saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It is amazing that they could kill off versions of the enemy from the first two films in 20 minutes ! How stupid. There was no sense of danger whatsoever.

Must be the first time I saw a trailer of a film that shows how the main enemy dies as well.

Nobody was looking for another T1 or T2, but surely they could have thought up something better than a poor mans rehash ?

The fact that the whole of this film was up on youtube says it all.

Cameron gets the rights back that he sold for $1 in 2019, so maybe we might get a decent version by 2020.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/james-cameron-sold-rights-to-terminator-for-1-2015-7?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Seanachai wrote: »
    Cameron gets the rights back that he sold for $1 in 2019, so maybe we might get a decent version by 2020.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/james-cameron-sold-rights-to-terminator-for-1-2015-7?r=US&IR=T

From the article
    It has been 24 years since "Terminator 2: Judgment Day," but fans could see Cameron's fingerprints on the beloved franchise again very soon.

Pretty sure Cameron said around the time of T3's release, that as far as he was concerned the story ended with T2. I would be very surprised to see him make another Terminator film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah Camerons off exploring/pushin the envelope/raking in the billions now, I dont see him wasting 2 years bringing an 80s action flick to screen these days, especially with every studio demanding 12a mush for this kind of thing.

Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah Camerons off exploring/pushin the envelope/raking in the billions now, I dont see him wasting 2 years bringing an 80s action flick to screen these days, especially with every studio demanding 12a mush for this kind of thing.

But James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is James Cameron! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

With the current mob holding the rights, we'll end up getting Terminator 6: Skynet Vs The Avengers. Featuring Ben Afflecks Batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

With the current mob holding the rights, we'll end up getting Terminator 6: Skynet Vs The Avengers. Featuring Ben Afflecks Batman.

It could'nt be any worse than T5 bud.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

that would be awesome!

Going to watch this tonight so will report back..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rating classifications or, to be more accurate, the push to water every big budget movie down to 12-A are killing films.

that would be awesome!

Going to watch this tonight so will report back..

Too late, it's gone from theatres over here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Bebopclown

This movie is pretty awful. The biggest problem stems from the 12A rating. The entire movie feels toned down and childish. The action is by the numbers and generic as hell, nothing has any weight to it. You never feel like the characters are ever in danger. I don't understand this obsession to tone everything down. We already have a bunch of 12A rated franchises like The Fast And The Furious and most Marvel movies so why does everything need to be toned down?
    I know it may sound cynical but I think it's time to start avoiding movies that should be higher rated but aren't, they are never any good. Sure the studios make money but it seems the auidence are the ones that get screwed over.
    This whole movie feels like it was constructed within the 12A boundarys and it severely suffers for it.
    Another big issued with this movie is spoilers, there should have been a massive surprise in this film but the advertisements made sure to ruin that for you. Why? This another ploy to gain money? This whole movie feels like a product, not a film.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ps3lover wrote: »
    Too late, it's gone from theatres over here.

I never said i was going to the cinema..

quite enjoyable imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Started all right. I thought it was going in the direction of Back To The Future II which would have been a pretty good way to tie it to the originals. If they'd maintained that approach it could have been an interesting attempt, I was thinking "ok, this could be good...". But then unfortunately it goes off the rails about 30 minutes in and turns into standard 12a action fare. As attractive as Clarke is, she's not a very good actor and Jai Courtney, as others here have said, is a charisma vacuum. Jason Clarke was utterly wasted and his character's storyline was ridiculous. Arnie looked like he had great fun though, and there were some good ideas about alternate timelines and so on which were, sadly, badly handled and just didn't really come off.

I think it's important to remember that Linda Hamilton wasn't the best actor either and a lot of the original movies' charm and effectiveness was due to them being well written and directed, and being fresh and original concepts. Plus Edward and Michael Biehn were great in their roles, something that can't be said of Jai Courtne (how is he working??) At this point the Terminator 'franchise' is overcooked - we're all familiar with it and the freshness that the first two movies had is gone. It's telling that the most interesting parts of Genesys were when the characters were revisiting moments from the first two movies.

6.5/10 would be generous, but it was an enjoyable enough couple of hours tainted by a hackneyed storyline, sub par acting, and some missed opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I thought Emilia Clarke was good as Sarah Connor. Much better than Cersei anyway, who always seemed much too delicate both in manner and physique. Also EC was surpisingly not annoying at all. Daenerys is very annoying.

Enjoyable film.

@pinksoir "I think it's important to remember that Linda Hamilton wasn't the best actor either"

She hasn't been prolific but I'd still rate her as an actor, more so than Clarke. She was also believable as a bad-ass whereas Clarke wasn't at all. She's like a cuddly ewok or something.

Looks like this one is going to be the lowest grossing of the series in America. Pretty bad when you consider is had the 3D, IMAX and PG13 boost.

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Bet it would have made more if they went for a higher rating. In fact I'd go back and see it again if they released a re-cut with more violence

Advertisement