Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Finally the doctor who terminator crossover I always wanted

Why did doctor who turn John Connor into a darlik again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Sega genesis caused judgement day is all I got from this movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

150m in 2003 is now worth 202m!? WTF!?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Faith+1 wrote: »
    150m in 2003 is now worth 202m!? WTF!?

Inflation. Just blame it on th Celtic tiger, banks and politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Doing well in China since it opened.

Sequel won't be cancelled at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I rather enjoyed it. I thought it was more entertaining than 3 or 4, but no where near the levels of one and two. I would like to see a sequel if only to see where they go from here with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

it was only ok, in the right hands it could easily be rescued by a sequel, they kinda left it open to go a lot of ways,

i was really interested in this cause of the director alan taylor, who did thor 2 which i really liked, and it was a big improvement on the first, and he also done a few game of thrones episodes so i thought his relationship with clarke would get a good performance outta her, and i thought her acting and all was completely fine, it was just she lacks physical presence and thats why it was very hard to buy her a sarah connor, jai courtney was another bad choice, clarke like i said just didnt tick that physicaility trait you expect from sarah connor, but courtney just cant act at all, i really dunno how he keeps getting work, his presence in any film just lowers my expectations,

but outside of everything it was just terribly executed, there is a good story in there, i think if you just take the original idea and run with it, if you have any bit of a decent imagination you should easily be able to get 8-10 films out of the idea, so many aspects that can constantly evolve, im not very creative but even i could probably pump out a good terminator script if given 6 months to do so, as could anyone here on the forum id say, itd make you wonder how some of these people keep getting work, its sad that a film made 20 years ago is still a leading example of how to make a great action film,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

ps3lover wrote: »
    Looks like this one is going to be the lowest grossing of the series in America. Pretty bad when you consider is had the 3D, IMAX and PG13 boost.

image.jpg

$353.1m worldwide as of this morning according to the Hollywood reporter. Could end up being the highest grossing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

don ramo wrote: »
    it was only ok, in the right hands it could easily be rescued by a sequel, they kinda left it open to go a lot of ways,

rescued by a sequel ?

I'm always interested in this, you hear it more these days - how can a sequel rescue its predecessor ?

People say the same about Prometheus and it seems bull**** to be honest.
    If a film has flaws it has flaws, sure a sequel might cover any plotholes, but a film should always be able to standalone.

Did Terminator 2 make The Terminator any better ?

the_monkey wrote: »
    rescued by a sequel ?

I'm always interested in this, you hear it more these days - how can a sequel rescue its predecessor ?

People say the same about Prometheus and it seems bull**** to be honest.
    If a film has flaws it has flaws, sure a sequel might cover any plotholes, but a film should always be able to standalone.

Did Terminator 2 make The Terminator any better ?

well terminator 2 was much better than terminator 1, now while terminator 1 wasnt bad, 2 improved massively on what was done in part 1, like aliens is better than alien, its rare for a sequel to outperform the original but it does happen, you can look back and see what didnt work, and you can then improve upon it, i think it should really happen more often that a sequel is better, but in hollywood they move forward with the philosophy that if it works then do more of it,

noting will make the original any better than it already is, but it doesnt mean some things didnt work in the original, genysis had its problems alright, but like i said with what theyve done in it, it leave the franchise open to go in multiple directions,

the film struggled at the box office, but it seems to have done just enough that green-lighting a sequel is a viable option,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

At least two more Terminator films are coming before 2019 anyway, right? At least, that's what they have planned. In 2019, the rights return to James Cameron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Has Cameron indicated that he wants anything to do with Terminator again. Hopefully he does a wipes clear the mediocre attempts that were 3,4 and 5.

Aenaes wrote: »
    At least two more Terminator films are coming before 2019 anyway, right? At least, that's what they have planned. In 2019, the rights return to James Cameron.
    well they have been announced, but with genysis not doing as well as expected their reconsidering, id say theyll go ahead though,

id say cameron is itching to get his hands back on the rights, and im sure he'll be done with avatar 2, 3 and 4 by then, and he said before that it was ones of his biggest mistakes giving away the rights in the first place, he sold them for a dollar cause he wanted to direct, and they wouldnt let him direct it cause they didnt think he had the experience, so he gave up the rights to show how much he wanted to direct,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

well terminator 2 was much better than terminator 1, now while terminator 1 wasnt bad, 2 improved massively on what was done in part 1, like aliens is better than alien, its rare for a sequel to outperform the original but it does happen, you can look back and see what didnt work, and you can then improve upon it, i think it should really happen more often that a sequel is better, but in hollywood they move forward with the philosophy that if it works then do more of it,

noting will make the original any better than it already is, but it doesnt mean some things didnt work in the original, genysis had its problems alright, but like i said with what theyve done in it, it leave the franchise open to go in multiple directions,

the film struggled at the box office, but it seems to have done just enough that green-lighting a sequel is a viable option,

I agree with that, but no matter how good Prometheus II and Terminator Genisys II are (let's imagine they are going to be great :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)

The predecessors are still going to be shyte in my mind..

the_monkey wrote: »
    I agree with that, but no matter how good Prometheus II and Terminator Genisys II are (let's imagine they are going to be great :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)

The predecessors are still going to be shyte in my mind..
    yeah of course they will be, how could they improve, but im just saying just cause one film of a franchise is sh1t doesnt mean the franchise is sh1t, im just saying genisys done enough that the over franchise could still be saved

i have no faith in hollywood to actually be able to make a film that makes no sense, but then have a follow up film that make you see the first in a completely different way, best they can do is something like fight club or the usual suspects, where you watch the film for the first time, and then when you rewatch it its like a completely different film,

if they could do something like that with, say a trilogy of films, i would be completely blown away,

€27m on opening day in China & expected to do €200m by end of run.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/08/24/so-i-guess-terminator-genisys-isnt-a-flop-anymore/

Sequel guaranteed.

OU812 wrote: »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/08/24/so-i-guess-terminator-genisys-isnt-a-flop-anymore/

Sequel guaranteed.

Yea, F*ck the Chinese. We came so close to this just being let go. Has Fantastic Four been released there yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm pretty happy with that, as I had my fingers crossed for further sequels, having enjoyed the movie despite obvious shortcomings. This has been a close call, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the studio will re-evaluate at this point as to how they can direct the franchise in a better direction. Good news all around as far as I'm concerned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Sequel with at least one act set in China guaranteed.

FTFY

and it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the studio will re-evaluate at this point as to how they can direct the franchise in a better direction. Good news all around as far as I'm concerned.

I think you are given studio far more credit than they deserve here, they will most likely fix nothing in my opinion and churn out more of the same, except this time at a lower cost to themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I think you are given studio far more credit than they deserve here, they will most likely fix nothing in my opinion and churn out more of the same, except this time at a lower cost to themselves.

Possibly, I think film and music is only as good as the culture that exists in the industry at any given time. All of the great albums and movies had great teams of committed people driving them, I think that's been taken over by very technically gifted people but maybe they're lacking in storytelling skills. It's a sign of the times though I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Eagerly awaiting <place that shall not be named> or quick Br release. Skipped it in the cinema, felt guilty about it, but with such a spoiler in the trailer I had nothing but bad feelings about it. Big Terminator fan, feel guilty for missing.

By all accounts if its better then 3 as many are saying, that's a relative success imo, cause I didn't think 3 was all that terrible(only after additional viewings)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

well terminator 2 was much better than terminator 1, now while terminator 1 wasnt bad, 2 improved massively on what was done in part 1, like aliens is better than alien,

Alien is far better than Aliens

Tigger wrote: »
    Alien is far better than Aliens
    not in my opinion, but to each their own,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

completely different films imo

One is a tense taut thriller with basically no action. The other is a gung ho fcuk yeah space marine shoot first ask questions later flick

Both great, but different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

18 years today at 2.14 Eastern time.

Sequel guaranteed.

$110 million so far & still performing well in China.

MI5 just opened & is expected to slow down T5, but it could still hit $150m giving a global gross of over half a billion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

watched it on the plane the other day and while it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be it was still very poor and eminently forgettable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Real chance to make a great film here and they blew it. First half hour I was really into it then they sacked the writer and hired the writer of Twilight and turned it into some cringey contrived love story. It really could've been so so good. Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Watched this recently.

Pops? Really?

That's all I've really taken away from this.

Genuinely baffled that a film as banal and familiar as Age of Ultron can be Universally celebrated while Terminator Genisys receives nothing but disdain and outright hatred. While Genisys may pale in comparison to the first two films in the franchise, it at the least tries to do something interesting and looks great doing so whereas AoU went through the motions in such a formulaic and bland manner that I had forgotten most of it by the time the end credits started to roll, and don't get me started on the flat mid 9i0s TV like look of the whole thing.

There's nothing in Genisys that is likely to blow anyone away and it's never going to be anyone's favourite film in the franchise but for a big budget summer blockbuster it's far better than it has any right to be. Arnie is on top form and obviously having fun, he plays the role just right and it's easy to believe that a machine can grow to love. The whole "Pops" thing seems to have offended a lot of people but it makes perfect sense within the contest it's used. It's a term of affection that Sarah has for the machine who is her father, her protector. One of the big aspects of the films has been the machines ability to learn and the manner in which Arnie adapts in the film is well done. It's just a shame that Emilie Clarke is so flat as Sarah, at times she looks uncannily like Linda Hamilton but she never quite captures the essence of what made Sarah Connor so ferocious and bad ass.

Jai Courtney isn't half bad here and shows some of that talent that he rarely gets a chance to, but he's a little underserved by the script aswell as viewers nostalgic memories of Michael Biehn. It's Jason Clarke and J.K. Simmons who have the most fun, they ham it up just enough that it never feels as if they're treating the material with contempt. It's their scenes alongside Arnie's where the film really shines and if the sequel involved Simmons and Arnie teaming up well I'd be first in line.

The story here is a little on the ridiculous side, with the film trying to pay homage to the original film as it strives to tell a new story. There's nothing inherently wrong with the story being told, it's just a little muddled and could do with another 10 to 20 minutes runtime. That one of the films most important moments occurs mid credits is unfortunate as most will miss it. The action, while shot with a PG13 rating in mind is rather well done. The set pieces are all rather spectacular and while there's no blood or gore to speak of the film never feels like it needs either. Sure an R rated Genisys could have been far better but added violence does not equate to more adult.

For the fifth entry in a franchise, Genisys is rather good fun and is leagues ahead of tedious fare such as Age of Ultron. It's never going to be remembered as fondly as the first two films but it's perfect for a lazy afternoon watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Genuinely baffled that a film as banal and familiar as Age of Ultron can be Universally celebrated while Terminator Genisys receives nothing but disdain and outright hatred. While Genisys may pale in comparison to the first two films in the franchise, it at the least tries to do something interesting and looks great doing so whereas AoU went through the motions in such a formulaic and bland manner that I had forgotten most of it by the time the end credits started to roll, and don't get me started on the flat mid 9i0s TV like look of the whole thing.

There's nothing in Genisys that is likely to blow anyone away and it's never going to be anyone's favourite film in the franchise but for a big budget summer blockbuster it's far better than it has any right to be. Arnie is on top form and obviously having fun, he plays the role just right and it's easy to believe that a machine can grow to love. The whole "Pops" thing seems to have offended a lot of people but it makes perfect sense within the contest it's used. It's a term of affection that Sarah has for the machine who is her father, her protector. One of the big aspects of the films has been the machines ability to learn and the manner in which Arnie adapts in the film is well done. It's just a shame that Emilie Clarke is so flat as Sarah, at times she looks uncannily like Linda Hamilton but she never quite captures the essence of what made Sarah Connor so ferocious and bad ass.

Jai Courtney isn't half bad here and shows some of that talent that he rarely gets a chance to, but he's a little underserved by the script aswell as viewers nostalgic memories of Michael Biehn. It's Jason Clarke and J.K. Simmons who have the most fun, they ham it up just enough that it never feels as if they're treating the material with contempt. It's their scenes alongside Arnie's where the film really shines and if the sequel involved Simmons and Arnie teaming up well I'd be first in line.

The story here is a little on the ridiculous side, with the film trying to pay homage to the original film as it strives to tell a new story. There's nothing inherently wrong with the story being told, it's just a little muddled and could do with another 10 to 20 minutes runtime. That one of the films most important moments occurs mid credits is unfortunate as most will miss it. The action, while shot with a PG13 rating in mind is rather well done. The set pieces are all rather spectacular and while there's no blood or gore to speak of the film never feels like it needs either. Sure an R rated Genisys could have been far better but added violence does not equate to more adult.

For the fifth entry in a franchise, Genisys is rather good fun and is leagues ahead of tedious fare such as Age of Ultron. It's never going to be remembered as fondly as the first two films but it's perfect for a lazy afternoon watch.

Finally! Well said! I really enjoyed it in the cinema.

Well can only speak for myself but AoU was garbage as well. They are both equally garbage.

Edit: Actually AoU was much worse. They killed Ultron with a fecking Care Bear Stare. smh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Joshua J wrote: »
    Real chance to make a great film here and they blew it. First half hour I was really into it then they sacked the writer and hired the writer of Twilight and turned it into some cringey contrived love story. It really could've been so so good. Pity.

The first half hour is actually very good in my opinion. In fact i'd go as far as to say it is excellent.

I agree completely with you. The film seems to fall off a cliff after that and become pretty awful which is even more disappointing after such a good start.

I didn't know they changed the writer! Makes sense now.

The first half hour is actually very good in my opinion. In fact i'd go as far as to say it is excellent.

I agree completely with you. The film seems to fall off a cliff after that and become pretty awful which is even more disappointing after such a good start.

I didn't know they changed the writer! Makes sense now.

They didnt sack the writer I was just giving out like it's what they did. The first half hour and the rest are like two different films to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

watched this he other day. not half as bad as other seem to make out, way better than AoU and some others this summer. Is it the best in the franchise, no but third best maybe..

Arnie was having a blast with the material and bringing back his staple formula. The remake of the 1984 sections was brilliantly well done. I was looking at a frame by frame comparison and was very impressed with the dedication go into this. Sure the actors were different but not having the original film the directors hands were forced. Final 3rd of the film turned into a CGI fest but sod it, its summer and thats part of what i wanted.

AoU and this are both crap.

Its just not nice to see Terminator going from bad (T3) to worse after such an amazing 2 films.

All the marvel stuff is the same, witty back and fourth between heroes, then have a crappy villain and his easily dispatched army of minion attack a city, and then get really easily defeated & CGI everywhere. ( Gaurdians was great tho).

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

AoU and this are both crap.

Its just not nice to see Terminator going from bad (T3) to worse after such an amazing 2 films.

All the marvel stuff is the same, witty back and fourth between heroes, then have a crappy villain and his easily dispatched army of minion attack a city, and then get really easily defeated & CGI everywhere. ( Gaurdians was great tho).

Seriously though, how many movies can you really do about time travelling robots who go back in time to alter/save history/future?

The second Terminator movie worked because it ran basically the same story in reverse where all characters were 'opposites' of the previous movie.

They really should have left it at two movies, we're now at scraping the barrel sequels like the 4th and 5th of the original Planet of the Apes movies from the '70's.

Wedwood wrote: »
    we're now at scraping the barrel sequels like the 4th and 5th of the original Planet of the Apes movies from the '70's.

I disagree. The only POTA movies in the original quintet that doesn't fit is number 2. It starts out ok & then goes off in a mess.

Numbers 3, 4 & 5 bring us back to the start of 1. It's a perfect circle which tell us that without Taylor etc going to the future, the future would not have happened. Taylor's ship enabled Cornelious & Zira to travel back in time which in turn meant their son Milo/Ceaser became the leader of the uprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Wedwood wrote: »
    Seriously though, how many movies can you really do about time travelling robots who go back in time to alter/save history/future?

As many as it takes! We will get our future war Terminator movie some day. First 20mins of this movie was ****ing awesome, I would love a whole movie of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

But you just described Guardians perfectly there. :confused:

I know this isn't the thread for it but I'm always baffled by people calling Guardians a great breath of fresh air for Marvel just because it has a talking raccoon and a tree in it. Has all of the same issues as Avengers but it's especially disappointing because of how much it promises to be different but falls drastically short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

e_e wrote: »
    But you just described Guardians perfectly there. :confused:

I know this isn't the thread for it but I'm always baffled by people calling Guardians a great breath of fresh air for Marvel just because it has a talking raccoon and a tree in it. Has all of the same issues as Avengers but it's especially disappointing because of how much it promises to be different but falls drastically short.

I think what also helps GOTG is that the lead isn't a jerk!
    In the first Iron Man it was refreshing to see a narcissistic hero but it gets more tiresome and forced in each movie.
    Tone is a lot more consistent in GOTG as well, I find it's jarring in AoU between severity and forced humour, I don't remember it being this obvious in Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Looks like the sequels and TV series have been put on hold indefinitely.

http://comicbook.com/2015/10/01/terminator-franchise-reportedly-on-hold-indefinitely/

Well that sucks. I was hoping for at least one more to wrap it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It made $440 million against a $150 million budget despite the overwhelmingly negative reviews. Even taking marketing into account, it still made money and it's clear that interest in a good terminator film is there. Those reports of the whole thing being put on hold are just vague 'a source says' type stories. I'd be very surprised if we didn't see another movie.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see another movie.

I'd be surprised too, they know they make any old muck, stick Terminator on it, release it in China and it will most likely turn a profit despite how it performs else where in the world or what the critical reaction is.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

The 150 million budget is only the production cost. Does not include marketing and many other costs. There also the issue of the rights returning to Cameron in 2018. If they start working on the next one in 2016 for 2017 is it really worth pumping more money into it and hope it does will just to hand the rights back to Cameron? who been very clear that his putting Terminator away for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Also it had one of the highest opening days of all time in China and then proceeded to drop like a rock. That would tell them the movie wasn't well received over there and a sequel might not even open well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Thank god. Genisys was a steaming pile whose only saving grace was Arnie.

The new actors were atrocious. The script was dire, the effects were nothing to write home about.

Just muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Let me make sure I have this right here.

Terminator 1+2 happened.

Terminator 3 happened.

Sarah Connor chronicles happened which meant terminator 3 didn't happen (in that timeline)

Terminator salvation happened which meant Sarah Connor chronicles didn't happen.

Terminator genisys happened which meant salvation didn't happen.

Now genisys cancelled and in 2018 Cameron gets the rights back and possibly makes a new terminator which means genisys didn't happen and we're just supposed to forget most of the above.

Coming 2018....... Terminator Alzheimer chronicles :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement