Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

It's time travel... whatever happened happened... or didn't according to the point of view.

Personally, 1,2,3 & 5 happened, Chronicles happened in an alternate timeline & 4 never happened at all... Now I only need one to fit in before this where we see who sent hime back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I watched this last night and my god it was atrocious. I honestly couldn't care about what was going to happen at the end. Couldn't take to a single character/actor, even Arnie was turned into this comedy act. The whole thing was just campy start to finish.

The plot was ridiculous and the actor playing John was really poor I felt. I read they want to hold the sequels to gauge feedback on this one from audiences, they will be along time going through that.

Definitely the worst movie I have watched this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

rob316 wrote: »
    I watched this last night and my god it was atrocious. I honestly couldn't care about what was going to happen at the end. Couldn't take to a single character/actor, even Arnie was turned into this comedy act. The whole thing was just campy start to finish.

The plot was ridiculous and the actor playing John was really poor I felt. I read they want to hold the sequels to gauge feedback on this one from audiences, they will be along time going through that.

Definitely the worst movie I have watched this year.

In fairness it is very campy and light in places.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 OtisPeabody

Mediocre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Seanachai wrote: »
    In fairness it is very campy and light in places.

Is that supposed to be a positive comment... about a Terminator movie.

I watched this recently too. The opening future stuff was decent enough, I liked seeing the events that led to the original Terminator. However, everything from the moment they started showing the funky flashbacks as Kyle was going back in time was total pants. The Arnie vs Arnie fight was interesting for all of 10 seconds. I did actually like the T-1000 in this, the effects were cool and it genuinely created a sense of imminent threat to Sarah & Kyle. However, they dispatched it fairly quickly and we're left with the ridiculous twist of John Connor being a Terminator now who was sent back in time to destroy Apple and Google. Speaking of ridiculous... the same company making evil Android/evil-er iOS is also working on it's own time machine... cool side project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bacchus wrote: »

I watched this recently too. The opening future stuff was decent enough, I liked seeing the events that led to the original Terminator. However, everything from the moment they started showing the funky flashbacks as Kyle was going back in time was total pants. The Arnie vs Arnie fight was interesting for all of 10 seconds. I did actually like the T-1000 in this, the effects were cool and it genuinely created a sense of imminent threat to Sarah & Kyle. However, they dispatched it fairly quickly and we're left with the ridiculous twist of John Connor being a Terminator now who was sent back in time to destroy Apple and Google. Speaking of ridiculous... the same company making evil Android/evil-er iOS is also working on it's own time machine... cool side project.
    A cool side project literally down the hall, such a stupid film. Ill never forget when they were being stalked by a T1000, John Connor comes to visit them in hospital and instead of instantly thinking its a terminator they run up to him for hugs and kisses, same when Arnie shoots him in the car park downstairs, they turn their backs on it and start screaming at him that he's a murderer who had killed poor John! Just an abysmal film :D

My biggest gripe with the movie was the stupidity of the John Connor twist. This is a guy built up since the start as the saviour of the human race, protect is mother Sarah at all costs, the prophet that will fight Skynet and bring it down but no..... lets turn him into a terminator. :mad:

It's a story about killer robots and time travel, how can you **** it up so badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

they tried to shove a whole load of "philosophy" into that one scene of them standing in carpark, there was no way yerman would suddenly join the machines...

Bacchus wrote: »

No that was not a positive comment, my use of the colloquialism 'in fairness' is probably confusing. I was agreeing with the other poster about it being camp, which the more I think about it, it really was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I'm one of the few who loved this film. Easily my favourite "Summer blockbuster" from this year.

I actually re-watched the first four films, one a night, starting last Wednesday, finishing with Genisys yesterday.

T1 was even better than I remembered. Iconic film. There was no change to my opinion of T2, I have seen it so many times. Best of the series.

T3 was a lot better than I remembered, I had only seen it once or twice previously and that was years ago.

Salvation...well, it's the "gritty" war film fans wanted for years, but it's just too different from the other three films. I know there's people who prefer T4 to T3, but T3 is just a much more fun film to watch. If I was ever doing a re-watch of the series again, I would not look forward to watching Salvation again.

Genisys, while not perfect, is so much better than T3 and T4, obviously not up there with the original two, but still an improvement over the last two sequels. I have no problem with people hating the film, but the terrible reviews, low ratings on places like Rotten Tomatoes, and its IMDB board filled with negativity, sucks any enthusiasm for discussing the film online out of me. I like what Mark Hughes of Forbes said, calling many of the negative reviews a result of "cynical nostalgia" that "distrusts change and anticipates failure", and branding the low ratings at aggregate websites as "ridiculously and undeservedly low". "Distrusts change and anticipates failure", seems to be the internet's reaction to any reboot/remake.

T2 didn't "need" any sequels, I didn't want sequels with Nick Stahl, and I didn't want sequels with Christian Bale and McG, but I do hope to see sequels to Genisys.

I'm one of the few who loved this film. Easily my favourite "Summer blockbuster" from this year.

I actually re-watched the first four films, one a night, starting last Wednesday, finishing with Genisys yesterday.

T1 was even better than I remembered. Iconic film. There was no change to my opinion of T2, I have seen it so many times. Best of the series.

T3 was a lot better than I remembered, I had only seen it once or twice previously and that was years ago.

Salvation...well, it's the "gritty" war film fans wanted for years, but it's just too different from the other three films. I know there's people who prefer T4 to T3, but T3 is just a much more fun film to watch. If I was ever doing a re-watch of the series again, I would not look forward to watching Salvation again.

Genisys, while not perfect, is so much better than T3 and T4, obviously not up there with the original two, but still an improvement over the last two sequels. I have no problem with people hating the film, but the terrible reviews, low ratings on places like Rotten Tomatoes, and its IMDB board filled with negativity, sucks any enthusiasm for discussing the film online out of me. I like what Mark Hughes of Forbes said, calling many of the negative reviews a result of "cynical nostalgia" that "distrusts change and anticipates failure", and branding the low ratings at aggregate websites as "ridiculously and undeservedly low". "Distrusts change and anticipates failure", seems to be the internet's reaction to any reboot/remake.

T2 didn't "need" any sequels, I didn't want sequels with Nick Stahl, and I didn't want sequels with Christian Bale and McG, but I do hope to see sequels to Genisys.

I couldn't disagree with that Hughes guy more, it's accusing people who have a valid critique of the movie of being some sort of Luddites. A change in style is inevitable but it has to be done properly, in this case it really wasn't. It's like somebody promising you a home cooked top notch dinner at their house and then just sticking a ready meal in the microwave and sprinkling some herbs on it before you arrive. It looks like something that was slapped together with little or no care, it's just shows the general decline in quality in popular cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Just watched the movie tonight and based on the reviews here I was expecting a stinker of a movie. However, this movie was actually very entertaining and I would argue far better than The last three Terminator movies. I'd add that in my view it's actually the best/ most entertaining movie release so far this year

It was a great return to form for Swarzenegger, Emilia Clarke was terrific as Sarah Connor and the rest of the cast were pretty good.

I can only think that the people who hated this movie are miserable gits who wouldn't know a good time if it hit them.

Terminator Genysis is a terrific movie that has been spoiled by the cynical trolls who now inhabit the Internet, which in its own way is ironic given the movie's themes about technology ruining our way of life.

Edit: just to add, I liked Terminator Genysis getting all the pieces from the first two movies, shuffling them around and coming up with an original take on the story. It's a very clever sequel/reboot that's both thrilling and humorous which also doesn't take itself too serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Facekicking 2 The Future

Easily my favourite "Summer blockbuster" from this year.
    Wedwood wrote: »

I can only think that the people who hated this movie are miserable gits who wouldn't know a good time if it hit them.

Terminator Genysis is a terrific movie

Jesus, I know taste is subjective, but this is bad, real bad. T1 and T2 made me grow to love science fiction and maybe film in general, hell T1 made me pick up keyboard just to learn the love theme from the 1st film.

There was no damn humanity, beauty in this "film" and I'm a person that strained to enjoy everything about T3 and T4.

The only thing that was close in quality to the original 2 was the brilliant short lived tv series and that went off the air because people wanted to the served the same ****ing thing from the 1st two movies watered down/diluted and not watch an actual science fiction story.

Hell Genysis copied the tv series and the couldn't do anything but to what it and not do it even half as well.

The series is dead and nothing short of total reenvision from the ground up with the rights in Cameron hands producing, written and directed by some ambitious filmmaker and a story and nothing to do with what has come before in terms of well.... everything. No Connors, no nuclear war even, that's where it'll have to go

Jesus, I know taste is subjective, but this is bad, real bad. T1 and T2 made me grow to love science fiction and maybe film in general, hell T1 made me pick up keyboard just to learn the love theme from the 1st film.

There was no damn humanity, beauty in this "film" and I'm a person that strained to enjoy everything about T3 and T4.

The only thing that was close in quality to the original 2 was the brilliant short lived tv series and that went off the air because people wanted to be served the same ****ing thing from the 1st two movies watered down/diluted and not watch an actual science fiction story.

Hell Genysis copied the tv series and the couldn't do anything but to what it and not do it even half as well.

The series is dead and nothing short of total ( highly unlikely) reenvision from the ground up with the rights in Cameron hands producing, written and directed by some ambitious filmmaker and a story and nothing to do with what has come before in terms of well.... everything. No Connors, no nuclear war even, that's where it'll have to go.

The only thing that was close in quality to the original 2 was the brilliant short lived tv series and that went off the air because people wanted to be served the same ****ing thing from the 1st two movies watered down/diluted and not watch an actual science fiction story.

Hell Genysis copied the tv series and the couldn't do anything but do what it did and not do it even half as well.

The series is dead and nothing short of total ( highly unlikely) reenvision from the ground up with the rights in Cameron hands producing, written and directed by some ambitious filmmaker and a story and nothing to do with what has come before in terms of well.... everything. No Connors, no nuclear war even, that's where it'll have to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Just watched the movie tonight and based on the reviews here I was expecting a stinker of a movie. However, this movie was actually very entertaining and I would argue far better than The last three Terminator movies. I'd add that in my view it's actually the best/ most entertaining movie release so far this year

It was a great return to form for Swarzenegger, Emilia Clarke was terrific as Sarah Connor and the rest of the cast were pretty good.

Terminator Genysis is a terrific movie that has been spoiled by the cynical trolls who now inhabit the Internet, which in its own way is ironic given the movie's themes about technology ruining our way of life.

Edit: just to add, I liked Terminator Genysis getting all the pieces from the first two movies, shuffling them around and coming up with an original take on the story. It's a very clever sequel/reboot that's both thrilling and humorous which also doesn't take itself too serious.

Given that this was the 5th instalment, are you seriously trying to claim in the bolded that this rated above T2, and in fact was only surpassed by the original?! I've gotta get me some of whatever you were smoking when you watched it if so, as it would probably make nearly every film better! :D

Jaysus I'd hate to see what you consider a bad movie.

Taste really is subjective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm loathe to remind people that this movie exists, but this Honest Trailers had me in absolute bits.

I lost it at
    'Stop trying to make Jai Courtney happen. It's not going to happen.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I'm kind of over the whole "Honest Trailer" thing. They're all the damn same, I mean, it doesn't take a great level of intelligence to make fun of Hollywood action movies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Just watched Genisys. It's not even as good as Terminator 3 IMO.

• Advertisement

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Just watched Genisys. It's not even as good as Terminator 3 IMO.

Almost as bad as the latest Star Wars film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Almost as bad as the latest Star Wars film

373003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Looks like the sequels have been officially pulled from release. I wonder if we'll get another attempt at a trilogy in about 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

ps3lover wrote: »
    Looks like the sequels have been officially pulled from release. I wonder if we'll get another attempt at a trilogy in about 8 years.

A good decision by the studio (for a change). :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

Hopefully only if Cameron gets the rights back. But if he does get them and just decides to say every movie after 2 is irrelevant and sucks and let's the franchise rest then I'd be happy too.

Somebody needs to drive out to the suburbs in LA and find the people that used to make decent special effects and write good stories and give them the money instead of the twats they seem to be hiring in the last ten years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Isn't Cameron only making Avatar movies from now on? I mean he supposedly has 4 sequels already in the pipeline. The first of which is still probably 3-4 years away. That ties him up until say 2024. And he takes 10-12 year breaks between projects. At that point he'll be 80 and probably won't want to waste another decade making a sequel to a film which even he didn't think needed a sequel. Maybe he'll oversee a "proper" sequel, but does anyone want that?

Isn't Cameron only making Avatar movies from now on? I mean he supposedly has 4 sequels already in the pipeline. The first of which is still probably 3-4 years away. That ties him up until say 2024. And he takes 10-12 year breaks between projects. At that point he'll be 80 and probably won't want to waste another decade making a sequel to a film which even he didn't think needed a sequel. Maybe he'll oversee a "proper" sequel, but does anyone want that?

I know I don't want any more Avatar movies, that's for sure :o.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's come up before, and I simply don't buy the notion of James Cameron as the great redeemer of the franchise; we've seen three successively, and progressively, poor sequels & personally I hope we never see another Terminator film again. Seriously, it's done. It was a short story and the tale is told.

There were two fantastic, sort-of standalone films that will live on as classic in their genres, but if we put down the nostalgia goggles for a minute we should accept that you simply can't go back to the well a 6th time and seriously believe the magic can still be as strong as ever; particularly when the driving force behind the franchise isn't a young maverick director anymore, but a bunch of stakeholders and marketing departments. Terminator was a low-budget, hard edged thriller that didn't care about focus groups or China. It was a slummy little winner from the 1980s. Terminator 2 was made in an era when you still produce successful, R-rated blockbusters. Neither conditions exist anymore.

As for Cameron, well, the man's making Avatar films now and for better or worse that's clearly where his heart lies. He seems to have a core set of passions and thinking he could be persuaded to go back to the beginning of his career feels like a bit of a non-starter. Heck, he was happy enough to shill Terminator Genisys & talk about how Terminator had 'been reinvigorated, like this [was] a renaissance' too so it's not as if the clues are there that he holds the franchise particularly close to this chest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

But what can James Cameron actually do?
    Terminator 3 extended the story line and said Judgement Day is inevitable. Salvation set itself during the war and Genysis changed the timeline. What is there left to do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Genisys really did mess the whole lot up didn't it?

Isn't even Judgement Day gone now, or still an unknown as Genisys survives down a well or something so they can't even do a immediate post Judgement Day film, they can't to a just before Reece travels back in time film, you can't even have another Terminator 3 film (where a robot travels back to kill Sarah or John Connor).

Unless you ignore Genisys completely it's ruined the lot lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

Enjoyable in a mad sort of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

All the fans ever wanted was a movie with the future war that was touched on in t1 and t2.

But for whatever reason nobody was listening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

I know I don't want any more Avatar movies, that's for sure :o.

I'm actually looking forward to them purely for the visual aspects, the first one was one of the most impressive looking movies to date and it's still the best example of how 3D movies should be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

JustTheOne wrote: »
    All the fans ever wanted was a movie with the future war that was touched on in t1 and t2.

But for whatever reason nobody was listening.

Isn't that what Terminator 4 was about?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Ascendant wrote: »

Needed more laser-guns & full metal robots squishing skulls beneath their feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Ascendant wrote: »

God no.

It resembled nothing like the future war yo seen in t1 and t2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I sure did back when it was posted last year :D
    I'm loathe to remind people that this movie exists, but this Honest Trailers had me in absolute bits.

I lost it at
    'Stop trying to make Jai Courtney happen. It's not going to happen.'

• Advertisement

I know it's a film but yesterday was August 29th which in terminator 2 was the date of the future judgement day.

I've decided I wanted to confuse myself with that oh so simple terminator timeline.

So terminator genysis pushes the timeline back to 1973 when skynet and the resistance sends two terminators back to kill Sarah Connor but good T800 kills the bad skynet terminator and Sarah isn't killed and lives.

The alternate 1984 happens but original terminator 1 1984 is still happening and they cross over. Sarah and Kyle don't have sex in genysis 1984 and so John Connor won't be born in 1985 and then skynet won't send back the T-1000 to kill John Connor as he doesn't exist in genysis 1990s LA.

But without John Connor existing then 2029 won't happen and judgement day doesn't happen at all as no chip and arm exist for cyber dyne to reverse engineer the technology to build skynet. But yet in genysis present day myles dyson is alive and building genysis with the help of John Connor who somehow exists in genysis present day despite him not being conceived in 1984 genysis.

Basically lads my question is does terminator genysis erase the original terminator timeline ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Arnie explained in T2 and in a lot of the books that Judgement Day is inevitable whatever they do.

Thargor wrote: »
    Arnie explained in T2 and in a lot of the books that Judgement Day is inevitable whatever they do.
    He said it in T3 aswell after John Connor said that they stopped judgement day and he said judgement day is inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Each Terminator film creates a new timeline hence why the sequels are shit/of diminishing returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Terminator universe is

Terminator

T2 Judgement Day

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I wonder if they'll reboot this again, this reboot will start a new trilogy, for reals this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought Terminator: Genisys was rather decent, however I fully recognise that a gritty, hard-as-nails reboot that captures the absolute dread of the first film would be incredible. Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy to Burton's batman, for example. Terminator wasn't just sci-fi - it was a brooding horror with a sci-fi theme. I do miss that from the original. Arguably, T2 was also lacking in that, despite being an almost flawless sci-fi action blockbuster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I thought Terminator: Genisys was rather decent, however I fully recognise that a gritty, hard-as-nails reboot that captures the absolute dread of the first film would be incredible. Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy to Burton's batman, for example. Terminator wasn't just sci-fi - it was a brooding horror with a sci-fi theme. I do miss that from the original. Arguably, T2 was also lacking in that, despite being an almost flawless sci-fi action blockbuster.

T1 was far surperior to T2. I acknowledge that T2 is a fantastic movie with a great villian but it just feels too hollywood and lacks the dark gritty tone of the first one. Plus Edward Furlong was completely miscast and his acting was complete garbage and annoying at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I love T2 but I always thought the first film was far superior, even if it lacks the mass-appeal that T2 has. Judgement Day ticks virtually every box possible in terms of mass-market appeal.

For me, the funny thing is that a spiritual re-boot or sequel to the first film wouldn't even require mega-bucks at all, and could even be a low-budget affair if a studio so wished.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the totally under-rated Death Machine is a another prime example of low budget but effective and broody, sci-fi horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Terminator universe is

Terminator

T2 Judgement Day

That is all.

No love for the Sarah Connor Chronicles TV series? I thought it was quite good what I saw of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement