Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Also confused as to the time line and where it did in with the first 2...

Looks a bit rubbish to be honest. :( Like a homage to the first 2 movies. Kyle in the dept. store, "come with me if you want to live", chase with the armoured vehicle...

Emilia Clarke hasn't delivered her lines well.

It's like a Terminator movie for the sake of it.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Best as I could make out from it...

In the future the Resistance captures the time travel facility just after Skynet sent the original Arnie Terminator back to kill Sarah Connor (this is consistent with T1)

They then send Kyle back to stop him and protect her (again consistent with T1)

THIS time though, Kyle shows up is chased by the police (just as in T1 and presumably also in 1984 based on the cop car) but at that point the changed timeline is shown when Sarah bursts through the store in the truck - about 1:10 in the trailer

Turns out at some point another Arnie Terminator was sent back to some point before 1984 (guessing when Sarah was a kid (1:50)) to protect her and they then take down the original T800 thus altering the T1 timeline

(I watch too much Star Trek/Stargate really so this all makes sense to me :p)

But..

- New Sarah is bloody awful
    - The new T1000 looks awful compared to the original T2 version
    - The whole thing has an ultra-clean sanitised look/feel about it and these new young actors remind me of the Stargate 200th episode skit where they recast with "younger, edgier versions"

I don't have high hopes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Best as I could make out from it...

In the future the Resistance captures the time travel facility just after Skynet sent the original Arnie Terminator back to kill Sarah Connor (this is consistent with T1)

They then send Kyle back to stop him and protect her (again consistent with T1)

THIS time though, Kyle shows up is chased by the police (just as in T1 and presumably also in 1984 based on the cop car) but at that point the changed timeline is shown when Sarah bursts through the store in the truck - about 1:10 in the trailer

Turns out at some point another Arnie Terminator was sent back to some point before 1984 (guessing when Sarah was a kid (1:50)) to protect her and they then take down the original T800 thus altering the T1 timeline

(I watch too much Star Trek/Stargate really so this all makes sense to me :p)

But..

- New Sarah is bloody awful
    - The new T1000 looks awful compared to the original T2 version
    - The whole thing has an ultra-clean sanitised look/feel about it

I don't have high hopes :(

And Jai Courtney appears awfully wooden.

OK, that makes sense. Seems a pretty decent premise and puts the trailer into context.

What a bad trailer in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Producer Megan Ellison (Zero Dark Thirty, The Master, Her, True Grit) who bought and brought the franchise rights to Liongate in the hope that she would be able to return the series to its low key horror sci-fi roots and tried to get serious talent on board, Director Kathyrn Bigelow (James Cameron's former wife oddly enough) was reportedly in talks and a few others. Nobody was biting.

Megan got pissed and sold it her brothers company and that he went for the cheap and fast retread route which is what we see today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

so its a re-boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And Jai Courtney appears awfully wooden.

That'll be explained by trying to recapture Robert Patrick's performance as the mostly silent T1000 no doubt
    What a bad trailer in that case.

Agreed.. having watched it again it seems the first minute covers the bits we never saw but which were referenced in T1, and continues up to Kyle's arrival in 1984 and being chased by the cops into the store

From 1:10 the timeline changes kick in and Sarah bursts in a poor version of Arnie's scene in T2 when he breaks them out of Cyberdyne

The rest then seems to be a mash of T1/T2 rehashed and rebooted at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Looks pretty terrible.
    @ 0:24 on the trailer - why does the terminators have such white teeth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Icaras wrote: »
    Looks pretty terrible.
    @ 0:24 on the trailer - why does the terminators have such white teeth?

Skynet have an excellent dental plan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Good lord that's an awful trailer.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Skynet have an excellent dental plan.

Lisa needs braces

Sorry force of habit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Interesting trailer.........

4DRqu6D.jpg

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think it's looks awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I won't lie.. I watched that with a couple of buddies and we cheered at several points. Loved it. Will be first in line to see it on release.

I'll be back *straight up head butts a helicopter**

Epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Why can't they just make good movies these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That'll be explained by trying to recapture Robert Patrick's performance as the mostly silent T1000 no doubt

But Jai is playing Kyle. He doesn't look a good fit.

That trailer has done nothing to convince me that this is anything but a lazy cash in targeted at teens. Pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

EH Interstellar ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Why do they need to give away the entire plot of the film in the trailer?

It looks like someone threw the first three films in a blender with some ****e and this is the result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Because studios have people throw their money at them for rehashes and sequels like this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Adamantium wrote: »
    Producer Megan Ellison (Zero Dark Thirty, The Master, Her, True Grit) who bought and brought the franchise rights to Liongate in the hope that she would be able to return the series to its low key horror sci-fi roots and tried to get serious talent on board, Director Kathyrn Bigelow (James Cameron's former wife oddly enough) was reportedly in talks and a few others. Nobody was biting.

Megan got pissed and sold it her brothers company and that he went for the cheap and fast retread route which is what we see today.

Thing is, if that's true that was never going to happen: the franchise is too big, too marketable (spit) and no studio was ever going to touch a script, particularly one needing a sizable budget, that couldn't be edited into PG-13 suitability. It's kinda the same story with the recent Robocop remake: both franchises started (relatively) small as R-rated cult classics, indie B-movies in fact, yet once they became popular morphed into studio flicks that desperately tried to copy or recreate the energy, without every properly understanding why the originals worked so well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Bacchus wrote: »
    But Jai is playing Kyle. He doesn't look a good fit.

That trailer has done nothing to convince me that this is anything but a lazy cash in targeted at teens. Pass.

To be honest, this trailer epitomises almost everything wrong with Hollywood. An absence of anything resembling a story, CG you might expect to see on a budget TV serial, fan service, tired tropes and remakes noone asked for. All we need is Uwe Boll or perhaps Michael Bay at the helm and we'd have the complete set.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

The sad thing is, It looked pretty intriguing and good,if not great until Emilia Clarke showed up. It is utterly bizarre, surreal and wrong to see scenes from the T1 remixed in this way.

A bad sequel that becomes a prequel in a way that it erases the masterpieces that were the original films? I'm NOT ok with that.

Alan Taylor, the director of this, did some of the very best episodes of Game of Thrones and were very cinema like. Thor 2 on the other hand was one of the flat looking films I have ever seen. This looks the same.

I for one really love T3, and feel it returned to the bleak fatalistic tone (and people think it's a parody movie:rolleyes:) of the original Terminator and felt like more of a sequel thematically to it than T2. It returns the story to being a hopeful tragedy in fact I would have been happy with that filmas the final capstone of the series. T2 is an excellent film but the whole "no fate but what we make", meant that Judgement Day could be postponed indefinitely (and ironically made the rise of the machines of T3 even more tragic and devasting). James Cameron's ideas for T3 were remarkably similar to what the eventual T3 ended up being in the end. The story in T3 goes full circle where it needed to go and Nick Stahl was the best John Connor portrayal psycholgically, he looked like the spitting image of a would be son of Michael Biehn and Linda Hamilton (likeable as hell too)

I would have loved to seen a future war trilogy with Stahl and Claire Danes. They were so close

Haunting and one of the best scenes in the entire series. Locked in a Cold war bunker and waiting out the nuclear firestorm, helpless, even contemplating ending it all (who wouldn't) just after it dawns that they're in the right place (but the wrong place to do anything about Skynet) and what kind of future they now have to face.

After Transformers, I've decided that I'm not paying to see this visual diarrhoea anymore. Moaning about it is ultimately pointless if you're giving them your cash at the same time. I passed on Turtles and I'll damn well pass on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Jai Courtney looks like he got some lessons on acting from Joey Tribiani, 'smell the fart acting' all over that trailer.

Looks dissapointing, yer one playing Sarah just doesn't look right, not battle hardened enough.

I cringed hard at the start when Reece says "let me save her". As if he knew her or something, ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I really don't like the way so many movies look these days. Far too sterile looking and don't feel cinematic anymore, CGI really stands out now.

This below looks like it came from a Youtube fan film it's that green screened / CG'd ta fúck.
    c5Mwdtc.png?1

As for the trailer, I just felt "meh" towards it. Plotwise I don't mind it, T1 + T2 will always be untouchable so I don't care how they fiddle with the timeline, though I do like the idea of them going on a seperate timeline by stopping T1.........if it's done right and not just a loose plot held together with frequent nods and nudges to T1 + T2.

Jai Courtney is just beefcake actor no. 318, my shoe has more expressive range than him yet he keeps landing all these high profile gigs.

Also, anyone think of The Dark Knight with that school bus? I imagine someone said "I want a flip like The Dark Knight.............except HIGHER!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

Mackman wrote: »
    Jai Courtney looks like he got some lessons on acting from Joey Tribiani, 'smell the fart acting' all over that trailer.

Looks dissapointing, yer one playing Sarah just doesn't look right, not battle hardened enough.

I cringed hard at the start when Reece says "let me save her". As if he knew her or something, ugh.

Are you ****ing serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

pah wrote: »
    Are you ****ing serious?

Oh yeah, hang on, he had a picture of her in T1, nevermind!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If some films are known for having a great 2/3s only to f*ck it up with a poor final act, Terminator 3 did the opposite. It had a really wavering tone, some misplaced attempts at humour and its set pieces aped T2 way too much (hardly the first time that happens), but damn it had an utterly effective gut-punch for an ending. No heroic moment, just a resigned deflation about the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Personally I think it just comes down to Hollywood wanting to appeal to the broader audience.
    Back in the 80s and 90s an adult action movie was an adult action movie. It was written and created for the over 18s but now you have movies rebooted/remade with PG13's in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Personally I think it just comes down to Hollywood wanting to appeal to the broader audience.

Ah, come on, if they wanted to appeal to the broader audience then they would have included an Asian T-1000................

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

This is going to bomb worse than the last one.

• Advertisement

You know even for that aborted ending, at least TSCC tried to do new and interesting things with the franchise. Pockets of Resistance already working in the present, showing John become the leader he was destined to be, divergent futures due to changes in the past, Skynet doing operations in the past to give itself advantages in the future, Terminators going after people other than John thus giving the sense that the humans are fighting a war that hinges on more than one man. Hell, the show had more future war stuff than any of the movies and people looked like they were starving and filthy and you could feel the desperation. Lena Headey was kickass and wiry,mature, badass in the same way Linda Hamilton showing signs of PTSD and bi-polarism (naturally enough). John saw her weaknesses and had to face up to a life without her.

Any of that is better than just revisiting the original movies

The writers room had an empty chair that was supposed to remind them of who wasn't there, James Cameron. It was made by people who loved the original movies. It was T2 levels of good and a genuine somber, thoughtful sci-fi show on par with BSG. I'd sacrifice this movie for another season, TSCC looked much more expensive than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Jai is too large as Reese for me, the fact in the original movies he was smaller & more wiry made the terminator much more physically threatening.

This Reese is probably as big as Arnie, he'd be better cast as a terminator than a resistance fighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I liked t3 , I did think they spoiled it a bit with the humour but overall I was happy enough, terminator salvation left me feeling empty tho . I'm. Not looking forward to any more films now .

After all these years ,and I'm 39 , I still rate t1/2 in my top 20 films of my time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Looks like an abomination. Clearly highlights all the problems with movies made today.

I rented T1 on my Xbox the other night and it still holds up. T2 was my fave but I've seen it too many times. T3 had too many flaws but at least it tried. T4 didn't really fit in at all. Didnt feel like a terminator movie but it was ok.

T5 looks like that badly teleported beasty from Galaxy Quest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Does Jai Courtney only appear in embarrassing, last gasp, fifth installments of 80's franchises?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Hang on a sec. If the 1984 timeline has now changed then the chances of Reese and Connor hooking up at the same time as the original timeline is slim. Which means its highly unlikely that the same individual sperm fertilizes the egg which means the John Connor we know doesn't exist and is actually someone else.
    Or maybe it explains why the John Connor character has been played by more actors than Bond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Does this mean Bill Paxton gets to live? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Terminator 3 was not too bad I thought, obviously not a patch on the first two but watchable nonetheless.

The 4th was poor enough and judging by what I have seen of the 5th the wheel is still turning but the hamster is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ebbsy wrote: »
    Terminator 3 was not too bad I thought

Really? I thought it was a terrible film and a complete waste of my time. The way she could remotely control cars was just lazy and stupid.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Hang on a sec. If the 1984 timeline has now changed then the chances of Reese and Connor hooking up at the same time as the original timeline is slim. Which means its highly unlikely that the same individual sperm fertilizes the egg which means the John Connor we know doesn't exist and is actually someone else.
    Or maybe it explains why the John Connor character has been played by more actors than Bond.

Sarah Connor probably has to bring it up at some point with him... there's an awkward conversation... "so yeah, you're John's Dad..... your move"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You know what? I don't mind reboots and resets. There's a 12 year old inside me who says that things were perfect the way they were and shouldn't be touched.

But then JJ Abrahms came along and did Star Trek. And proved that not only could you reboot, but you could actually do it in a way that wasn't remaking or altering the originals.

So, in principle I don't have a problem with them using time travel to change timelines. That was the very basis of T2. And of the other Terminator movies.

On the face of it, an altered timeline where Sarah Connor is now aware of what's happening, hey that's a nice idea. Emilia Clarke? Great! Jai Courtney? Yeah, way too buff. A massive part of the original Terminator was the David and Goliath struggle that Reese had. As you would expect of someone who grew up in a permanent war zone, he was slight and wiry, versus the Terminator's huge frame. Cyborg or not, he was no physical match for the Terminator, it was all about brains and tactics.
    But now Hollywood insists that every leading man sports an extra 50kg of pure muscle steroids, and it destroys the telling of the story.

I do also have an issue with this insistence on using Arnie for every movie. They haven't brought back Robert Patrick to do a T1000. So why do they need Arnie to be a T-800? In fact, if we're to talk about Kyle Reese's description of the T800 in the original movie, it wouldn't make sense that all T800s would look the same. They're supposed to be covert infiltration units; making them all look the same is a big giveaway.
    No doubt they're going to explain away the aging with some nonsense about a failed power cell meaning that his fake skin degrades, or that it's intentional to allow him to blend in. Which is just stupid.

They could have actually have stuck to what appears to be the same storyline, but removed Arnie completely from the equation. So the resistance are aware that Skynet is going to send a Terminator back to kill Sarah in 1984, and Connor is also aware that sending Reese back to 1984 will not end the war, it's the whole storyline all over again.
    So instead Reese gets sent back to 1964 with instructions to train Sarah and prepare to completely destroy the T800 when it appears. And then it's 1984, and who destroys the T800 only Emilia Clarke and Michael ****ing Biehn. Because Reese is now old.

And then you throw spanners and plot devices in like the fact that Reese now sees Connor more as a child than a lover, and has already fallen in love with someone else. So in the realisation that John Connor will never exist, they work to ensure that Cyberdyne and Skynet can never exist.

Skynet of course knows about the various changes in timelines and has sent back the T1000 to finish the job. It's Michael Biehn against a T1000. Let's up the stakes here.

Seems like a more believable story to me than trying to shoehorn a 60-something Arnie into the storyline.

seamus wrote: »
    You know what? I don't mind reboots and resets. There's a 12 year old inside me who says that things were perfect the way they were and shouldn't be touched.

74257d1366600534-lots-leftovers-near-boston-archer-phrasing2-300x225-jpg

seamus wrote: »
    So, in principle I don't have a problem with them using time travel to change timelines. That was the very basis of T2. And of the other Terminator movies.

On the face of it, an altered timeline where Sarah Connor is now aware of what's happening, hey that's a nice idea.

Agreed. The premise linking it to the original is a neat enough idea. The execution looks terrible from that trailer though. Too much lip service to the originals, it looks like sterile, generic PG cr*p and the "old Arnie Terminator" idea is corny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Rumours have it the film will take place in the 1940s with Sarahs parents the focus, no just no, all us terminator fans want is to see the future war that Cameron showed glimpses of in the first 2 films, with hks and tanks and terminators hunting humans who are hiding from the ashes of the nuclear war, just give us this film god dammit, no more terminators been sent back in time its been done to death!

As far as I was concerned this was the only way forward after Terminator 2.

Show us the GODDAMN WAR! No more time travel. No more "come with me if you want to live". Have it as a prequel if you like, or sequel if you don't. Either way the thing should end with Kyle and Arnie being sent back in time. That would have given a nice elegance to the thing. It needn't have been predictable either as the details about the war were so sketchy.

So... I mourn the war of man vs robots that I wished would have been made but never was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I like the nod to Spartacus with that handshake lol

nzoknmq9gtimsoewbzob.jpg

exzc4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cant believe the amount of people defending Terminator 3 in this thread, it was a moronic disaster of a film when it could have been the chance to create one of the greatest trilogies ever made.

The people making these films need to stop with the stupid cartoon robots aswell like the Iron Giant nonsense with the motorbikes in its legs in salvation and that thing in the video up there^, what made Skynet such a disturbing enemy was the inhuman unstoppable army of T800s and a couple of other models marching along slowly that we saw at the start of T2, not stupid Disney looking robots jumping around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Thargor wrote: »
    Cant believe the amount of people defending Terminator 3 in this thread, it was a moronic disaster of a film when it could have been the chance to create one of the greatest trilogies ever made.

The people making these films need to stop with the stupid cartoon robots aswell like the Iron Giant nonsense with the motorbikes in its legs in salvation and that thing in the video up there^, what made Skynet such a disturbing enemy was the inhuman unstoppable army of T800s and a couple of other models marching along slowly that we saw at the start of T2, not stupid Disney looking robots jumping around the place.

Moto-terminators!!!!!

Still gives me shudders....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I never said T3 was a classic, but it was a solid enough film. Plus it led nicely into the war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

This movie looks like a cash grab...

A guy jumping out of a chopper and skydiving down only to take out another chopper with his face.....I mean, is this a parody?

It's gonna be buried next year with all the quality movies releasing...

Advertisement