Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Cain Velasquez, UFC heavyweight champion, would have made an awesome terminator, well a t-800. He has the look, size, and the cold dead eyes of a stone cold killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Terminator has been leave your brain at home locked in a safe since the third one.

It has. Therein lies all it's problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

This is obviously going to be a steaming pile.

I'm just waiting for Terminator 27; Ed Furlong sits smoking cigarettes, eating cheese burgers, all the while directing the war with the machines from his command post.
    Budget: $450 million dollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Roar wrote: »
    Cain Velasquez, UFC heavyweight champion, would have made an awesome terminator, well a t-800. He has the look, size, and the cold dead eyes of a stone cold killer.

The rock!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

New Kyle Reese doesn't look anything what you would expect. He looks like a male model, not a battle hardened combat veteran like Michael Biehn portrayed.

Of course i've already heard the criticisms of Emily Clarke as Sarah Connor. So I'm sure, i'm not the only one criticizing the casting decisions.
    I'm just waiting for Terminator 27; Ed Furlong sits smoking cigarettes, eating cheese burgers, all the while directing the war with the machines from his command post.
    Budget: $450 million dollars.

What you described makes me think of some fat nerd sitting in his mothers basement playing World of Warcraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Roar wrote: »

I think Stone Cold Steve Austin would make a terrific Terminator, Size, Build, and Eyes that would bore a hole straight through ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Agricola wrote: »

*oh and lifting well known references, set-pieces and dialogue from the originals? GTFO!

I know, cringeworthy "Come with me if you wanna live" ... f*ck off!!!!!

Who is this one from Game Of Thrones anyway ? is she accomplished apart from that pile of ****e series GoT ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

the_monkey wrote: »
    I know, cringeworthy "Come with me if you wanna live" ... f*ck off!!!!!

Who is this one from Game Of Thrones anyway ? is she accomplished apart from that pile of ****e series GoT ?

Hah, good one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

As a big fan of The Terminator movies, this just nearly drove me deranged. The part where he jumps from the helicopter, wearing Pat Kenny's wig just did it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah GoT is such a pile of sh1te alright, glad it was such a flop.

Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah GoT is such a pile of sh1te alright, glad it was such a flop.

Haha for sure, can't believe one of the biggest networks in America would waste $60,000,000 annually for the past 4 years on such an unpopular, badly made show

Do they really think anyone wants to watch silly stuff like this, that you'd see in blockbuster movies, on your big screen TV at home every week?

original.gif

At least nobody pirated it or bought the books.

Yeah. Anyway, I'm off to watch this compelling and amazingly acted drama called Fair City, I think if HBO took some pointers from RTE they'd be a lot better off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Game of Thrones has its flaws, it ain't the perfect show, though I'd stop short of calling it sh*te that's just looking for attention; I gave up on it after season 3 'cos it just felt dreary and repetitive, but in my mind one of its weak links has always been Emilia Clarke as Danny. Her line reading always came off as just a little 'off', and going by this trailer it's the same deal here.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Game of Thrones has its flaws, it ain't the perfect show, though I'd stop short of calling it sh*te that's just looking for attention; I gave up on it after season 3 'cos it just felt dreary and repetitive, but in my mind one of its weak links has always been Emilia Clarke as Danny. Her line reading always came off as just a little 'off', and going by this trailer it's the same deal here.

Oh man, do yourself a favour and rewatch season 3, so you remember what's going on, and then watch season 4. Seriously, if you still feel the same after 4 (you won't) then fair enough. I agree about Emilia Clarke, though. She's a tendency to over act her part a lot of the time or something and it can get annoying but it's bearable because of all the better characters played by better actors that make up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh man, do yourself a favour and rewatch season 3, so you remember what's going on, and then watch season 4. Seriously, if you still feel the same after 4 (you won't) then fair enough. I agree about Emilia Clarke, though. She's a tendency to over act her part a lot of the time or something and it can get annoying but it's bearable because of all the better characters played by better actors that make up for it.

I remember season 3 well enough, and kept half an eye on season 4 feedback in case I heard of a change in direction (I usually do that with most shows I stop watching: case in point, Agents of SHIELD is apparently now watchable. Who knew!) and nothing I've heard makes me think I'll enjoy GoT more than I was.

Fair enough if people are still loving the show, but I just grew exhausted by its relentless grim, downbeat cynicism. I'd expand on that because it actually p*sses me off from a narrative point of view, but this isn't really the thread :D

Can't fault the production values mind you, but GoT just isn't for me. And Emilia Clarke didn't help either haha :)

I remember season 3 well enough, and kept half an eye on season 4 feedback in case I heard of a change in direction (I usually do that with most shows I stop watching: case in point, Agents of SHIELD is apparently now watchable. Who knew!) and nothing I've heard makes me think I'll enjoy GoT more than I was.

Fair enough if people are still loving the show, but I just grew exhausted by its relentless grim, downbeat cynicism. I'd expand on that because it actually p*sses me off from a narrative point of view, but this isn't really the thread :D

Can't fault the production values mind you, but GoT just isn't for me. And Emilia Clarke didn't help either haha :)

Don't want to say too much, but there is a massive battle and lots of great fights this past season. If you don't like LoTR style battles then yeah, it mightn't be for you. My brother was the same and never watched past episode 3 in season 1 because he thought it was another boring drama when he expected it to be like LoTR from the get-go but after having to sit through lunch with colleagues constantly praising and spoiling it he started again and finished the whole thing in about a week and has since rewatched it twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Sorry I started a discussion about GoT - it's a well made show, well acted and can understand why people like it - but it's just not my cup of tea.

And choosing an actress based on a series is a bad idea, I think an actor needs to be more proven to take a big role like Sara Conor - anyway lets get back to discussing how shít this new Terminator will be.

Did he really jump face first into a helicopters rotors ?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Maybe itll turn out to be part of a dream sequence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

"You're going to need to find some pants" hahaha

"But when do I get to become John's dad?"
    "Dude, stop trying to have sex with me!"

That video needs more views

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Corvo wrote: »
    "You're going to need to find some pants" hahaha

I know you can do it because you already have.

I wish we could send you back with pants, but the technology just isn't there yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Is the terminator genisys gender?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

KEgSwRe.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I honestly can't believe they came up with a plot or concept as bad as this for the Terminator reboot.

Its like bad fan fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Emilia Clarke is a terrible actor. Now what would be interesting is if they got the lad that plays The Hound to be a Terminator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sorry I started a discussion about GoT - it's a well made show, well acted and can understand why people like it - but it's just not my cup of tea.

And choosing an actress based on a series is a bad idea, I think an actor needs to be more proven to take a big role like Sara Conor - anyway lets get back to discussing how shít this new Terminator will be.

Most of the best actors are dabbling in tv these days, that McConaughey bloke has done ok recently...

Also how much of GoT did you watch before deciding it's not your cup of tea? I don't particularly like it because the books are far superior but as a standalone show even I can admit it's very good.

Shame they picked one of the worst lead actors on the show for this but I guess she is the most recognisable. And hawwt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Granolite

The Trailer for this latest Terminator release was shown ahead of the screening of the uncut edition of Blade Runner last Sunday night in the IFI. Cue a mass outbreak of laughter at the fade out on the trailer...it was that bad. I smiled, it was comforting to know I was one of many in the audience in utter disbelief at this blatant insult to anyone who could appreciate the original film.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Advertisement

In fairness, it is like a parody of itself since T3, Salvation took itself way too seriously.

But this Genisys film really does look it came from the people behind Scary Movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Granolite

I actually hadn't seen either the 3rd or 4th movies in the Terminator series..call that being pre-emptive but review 's of the 3rd movie I'd read wouldn't see me cross the road to watch it. I had to Google the 4th movie as it just bypassed me completely I didn't realise there had been one made. I still like to catch the original Terminator now and then when I see it show up in the TV listings, it was written and produced with such authenticity and still impresses upon you today even with repeated viewings.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I really have my doubts about this. It just looks like a remake of Terminator 2. Arnie is too old for this. What are your thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Apparently, it looks like they've decided that the fight between old and young Arnie wasn't good enough so they're adding to it but instead of using Arnie for reshoots they're going to CGI him for the fight:

Source
    Apparently production company Skydance is unhappy with the initial shoot for this battle royale, but instead of flying Arnold & co. in for expensive reshoots at Griffith Observatory they are utilizing TWO computer generated Arnold’s to create new shots that will make the fight “more brutal.”

“The battle will be better then the T-800 and T-1000 from T2. The ground will break on the wrestling fight,” says their anonymous production source.

I'm guessing reactions to the trailer must have stirred them a bit about how this will be received on release.

The battle will be better then the T-800 and T-1000 from T2.

I find that very hard to believe.

CGI 'reshoots' sound like a terrible idea; I've no idea what the timescale is with this film, but I can only imagine rejigging a whole set-piece will seriously stretch people's capabilities and runs the risk of the whole fight looking shoddy and fake. Then of course there's the perennial problem where physical FX work outstrips the rubbery, overblown showiness of CGI.

Reshoots aren't automatically a bad thing: Mad Max's were supposedly down to the studio absolutely loving what George Miller had so far produced and threw money after the project; this feels like ... panicky tinkering.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I always thought the best fights were between the humans and the Terminator and not the Terminator and another Terminator.

Actually the fight scenes between Terminators are usually boring.

Two CGIs fighting.

There is nothing I hate more in a film.

Robert Patrick and Arnie hammering the **** out of each other wasn't boring! Those were some of the best fight scenes from the golden age of action movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Robert Patrick and Arnie hammering the **** out of each other wasn't boring!

Two CGIs?

• Advertisement

Robert Patrick and Arnie hammering the **** out of each other wasn't boring! Those were some of the best fight scenes from the golden age of action movies.

Nobody is disputing that.

But two computer generating Terminators or two Arnies fighting sounds terrible. That up there (or down there) with two transformers fighting.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Nobody is disputing that.

But two computer generating Terminators or two Arnies fighting sounds terrible. That up there (or down there) with two transformers fighting.
    I was replying to him:
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    I always thought the best fights were between the humans and the Terminator and not the Terminator and another Terminator.

Actually the fight scenes between Terminators are usually boring.
    Yes the CGI fight will be a disaster, on a par with trying to get away with a CGI fight in a Rocky sequel or something like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Two CGIs fighting.

There is nothing I hate more in a film.

Unless it's Ben Richards vs Captain Freedom in The Running Man of course! :)

But everything I hear about this new Terminator film just makes it sounds awful! No chance will it match the T800 vs T1000 fights in T2 either.

I was replying to him:

Yes the CGI fight will be a disaster, on a par with trying to get away with a CGI fight in a Rocky sequel or something like that...

I'd actually echo what I think are CatFromHue's sentiments; while yes the T-1000 / T-800 smackdown was brilliantly staged, violent and impactful in a way that I guarantee this reshoot won't be, imo the more thrilling or nerve-wrecking fights involved the humans going up against the robots. It's David v. Goliath 101 for sure, but I think the action resonates more if you get a sense of the desperate odds and disparity between the two fighters, where all you can do is run - or stall for time. Perhaps that's when the Terminator films truly work best: when they work within the format of being glorified chase movies, with a near-unstoppable, inevitable force constantly behind the protagonists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Shhhh... Don't say that too loudly. You'll give them ideas.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It's David v. Goliath 101 for sure, but I think the action resonates more if you get a sense of the desperate odds and disparity between the two fighters

We had that with T-800 vs T-1000 in the refinery too though. The T-800 did the best he could do, put up a good fight, and was crushed – literally. A deus ex machina was basically the only thing to bring him back. That was bloody exciting stuff.

Whereas two CGI T-800's... the "anonymous production source" actually goes so far as to call it a "wrestling fight" themselves, and I'm going to go ahead and assume that's more WWE than olympic sport – so, pre-determined, inauthentic, laboured, showboating, fan-service nonsense.

I'll be amazed if we see a good Terminator "reboot", or anything else in the franchise, until the filmmakers realise the story is worth more than a cheesy old 80s action hero spitting out tired one-liners.

• Advertisement

Whats the betting they'll just be throwing each other at walls doing no damage aswell? That really pissed me off watching Terminator Salvation along with a million other things, how many times did a Terminator get its hands on John Connor only to throw him away again instead of just crushing his skull?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'm guessing reactions to the trailer must have stirred them a bit about how this will be received on release.

Do film companies seek feedback from trailers? Is it not too late at that stage?

I wonder are they even aware of the negative response.

py2006 wrote: »
    Do film companies seek feedback from trailers? Is it not too late at that stage?

I would be inclined to agree with this.

It would want to be an extremely negative reaction to a trailer, but even then I would think it would be too late to change it.

Don't they have test audiences for that type of feedback much earlier in the process.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

py2006 wrote: »

Depending on the amount of content, the film can be edited to make a fair difference AFAIK. Music and other effects can be altered. Here though, the foundation and the majority of the trailer are what people are irritated with. This is a remake noone asked for with nothing new brought to the table. There's too much to change so I'd say they'll just release it to cut their losses.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

It will probably do well regardless. I think we are all just wishing for too much to have another T1 or T2. They were once off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement