Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going rate for babysitter

Options
  • 28-06-2013 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Just a query I have on the going rate for a babysitter. Heading out tonight with the other half. Just going to a show so it will be early out and early home (No drink to be consumed, mores the pity). We have employed the services of a local girl to babysit our three kids from 6pm to about 10.30pm. Kids all usually in bed for about 8.30pm so she will have to get them ready and read stories etc. What would be the going rate given that we would be transporting her home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

dunno really but €30 would sound about right to me?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

40 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Well if you're bringing her home I'd expect it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

30euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

well shes going to raid your fridge so give her a lump of ham as payment or maybe 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Speaking from a persons partner who does childminding a few factors you should consider.
    If they have proper knowledge of college training etc should always pay them more.
    If your going to arrive home any later you should always pay them more as very rarely are people back when they say they are.
    Also do you think 4.5 hours for €30 on a Friday night is fair to mind 3 kids?
    I don't.
    At least €40 stil not even €10 an hour.
    If you were child minding would you do it for €30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Twenty quid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Speaking from a persons partner who does childminding a few factors you should consider.
    If they have proper knowledge of college training etc should always pay them more.
    If your going to arrive home any later you should always pay them more as very rarely are people back when they say they are.
    Also do you think 4.5 hours for €30 on a Friday night is fair to mind 3 kids?
    I don't.
    At least €40 stil not even €10 an hour.
    If you were child minding would you do it for €30?

Childminding and babysitting are different.
    A childminder would get paid 40 euro (1child)for a 10 hour day but it is 5 days a week,a babysitter gets paid a lot more per hour but is is occasional work.
    A babysitters earnings are not normally subject to tax either.
    If she is childcare qualified or an older lady i would pay her slightly more but 30-40 euro is perfect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Immolation

Ours would be in bed normally so she only covers emergencies.
    We pay €5 an hour with free fridge & wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Immolation wrote: »
    Ours would be in bed normally so she only covers emergencies.
    We pay €5 an hour with free fridge & wifi.

how many do you have your self immolation?
    seems low enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

*Taking that comment out as just realised this is now in parenting not after hours - in which case it was inappropriate*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

I think OP we can say that 30- 40 is what the vast majority are saying. Personally I'd be heading for the higher end myself as (a) there are three young kids (b) they all need to be actively mimded for two hours, fed I presume and prepared for bed . (c) the early start - this is actually more discomoding than a late finish, more of her day is taken up.
    Personally I'd agree 35 and if you come home and things are neat and tidy (clothes bathroom etc) I'd point this out and give a fiver tip ( make it 40) .Good babysitters are hard to find and need to be rewarded . For everyone's peace of mind the mother should drive the sitter home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

It's cash in hand, 30 is plenty.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I think I used to get thirty euro when I did it for neighbours, and that was a good few years ago! Was brill. I'd let the kids stay up until we saw the headlights in the garden and they'd go running to bed. We'd raid the fridge and watch cartoons all night. Sometimes if the parents were drunk they'd pay too much. Best job I ever had :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

desbrook wrote: »
    For everyone's peace of mind the mother should drive the sitter home.

Is that really what things have come to. :(

I'd have said €30 was a fair amount if you have easy going kids. If you're kids are a nightmare then I don't think you could pay me enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Is that really what things have come to. :(

I know some people who get a taxi home after a night out. Taxi then takes babysitter home, one parent has to accompany babysitter on journey home. Then taxi returns parent home .

Soft money for taxi driver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jiggers77

I reckon the general consensus then is about the 30-40 quid mark. Im a generous sole but the wifes a bit mean with the cash so she will prob go for 30 and I will be pushing 40. Might have to meet in the middle at 35 quid. Thanks for all the feedback

Advertisement