Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking issues: problematic shared folders

Options
  • 28-06-2013 10:56am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hye guys, I'm hoping someone can help with some issues I'm having. My main pc is windows 8. Inside My Documents I have some folders which I share over the network. I want my other XP laptop (or any other computers on the network) to be able to view files and and stream movies etc. It's been problematic recently. I changed to a different laptop and it picks up one of the shared directories but not the others. I cannot work out why. I try going into sharing on the other folders and sharing with everyone on the network, but nothing.

Can anyone suggest how I can start again? I just want easy sharing of some/all all the folders in My Documents to the other computers connected to the wireless network.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

I cant remember the exact settings, maybe someone else will.

In Windows XP; the security/authentication settings need to be changed from 'always' to 'if server agrees'

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

whizbang wrote: »
    I cant remember the exact settings, maybe someone else will.

In Windows XP; the security/authentication settings need to be changed from 'always' to 'if server agrees'

Thanks, any idea where I find this setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

Apologies:
    1st : have you disabled simple file sharing. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874.
    If not, do it now, and set separate sharing and security permissions. If you are using common logins across all machines, just add Authenticated Users in security settings.

If all else fails then try this:
    I dont know if this applies to win8. but defo Win7.
    On your win 8 machine, goto
    Group policy editor,Computer Configuration,Windows Settings,Security Settings,LocalPolicies,Security Options: Microsoft Network Client: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always); Set this to disabled.
    Also same for Microsoft Network Server

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrECameraman

Falling that, you can try use process monitor on both machines to see what's being accessed or wireshark to see the network traffic. One or both will show your what is failing, then the why is easier

• Advertisement
Advertisement