Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are families of those in prison treated fairly? ?when they visit?

• 28-06-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Read a report that shows family members are treated like they are the guilty party. Seems unfair.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Care to post a link? Aside from giving them access to see their family member and not spitting on them, I'm not sure what kind of "fair treatment" these people are looking for?

It's a prison, not a restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Anne Allan wrote: »
    Read a report that shows family members are treated like they are the guilty party. Seems unfair.

Security is fairly tight, it is a prison!

In fact I'd argue the opposite, many of the drugs issues could be resolved by not allowing physical contact but this is not a policy that's ever been implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Read a report that shows family members are treated like they are the guilty party.
    The guilty parties can't leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I have visited my cousin countless times in Port Laoise since 2008 and never had a bad experience with the POs etc. In fairness that's probably because I'm not abusive to them, bringing in contraband every time etc. If you have a bit of cop on and prepare properly you'll be ok. It is a prison, just keep that in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Would disagree with this. They are strict on security checks but they treat family and professional visits the same in terms of getting in. It's not a nice environment but people like the SVP have done great work, particularly in Midlands, to make the waiting area family friendly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

How is this whole thread started by an article that only the OP has read?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

How is this whole thread started by an article that only the OP has read?

I don't know! Maybe there is no article and the OP is just worried but I just joined in as I have to go in the course of my work, and while it's not something you hear about or discuss, I have the greatest admiration for the SVP (and possibly others?) who have dedicated so much time and resources to making the experience for families of prisoners better.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Supersiderman

Depends what prison, republican prison - visitors are treated different to that of a criminal prison. There is no dog when getting searched, private rooms, nearly two hours for each visits. Tea/coffee etc. Two visits a day. The list goes on compared to next door in the midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are remand prisoners visitors treated the same?
    I worked with a lad who later spent 7 months in custody in the joy before he was acquitted
    harsh on the family of an innocent man, let alone on the innocent man locked up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

My family were always treated with respect when they came to visit me, Manners goes a long way with prison staff, Some of the staff would have known members of my family through sport and work anyway..

I visited a mate in prison several times and was treated well by the staff, Had no problems..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Are remand prisoners visitors treated the same?
    I worked with a lad who later spent 7 months in custody in the joy before he was acquitted
    harsh on the family of an innocent man, let alone on the innocent man locked up

A remand prisoner can receive a visit everyday and a sentenced prisoner can get two visits a week, Unless that has changed in the time since I done a stretch over ten years ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

a lot of families feel illtreated because their bags may be checked for contraband when entering the prison.

Advertisement