Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs at home all day...

• 28-06-2013 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of an issue at the moment..

I live in a detached house with a large enough and secure garden. I have two dogs (both taken in as rescues - one approx 3 and the other approx 4 years ago). I have spent a lot of time training the dogs, working with them, playing with them, exercising them etc.

When the dogs came into my life I was in a relationship and my girlfriend was living with me - she was in college and so was at home a lot of the time. Since then, the relationship has broken up and she has moved out - the end result is that there is no longer anyone at home during the day with the dogs.

To add to this, I have had to work much longer hours lately with the result that I am sometimes gone from 8am until 10:30 or 11pm. It is not something I do every day, and about half of the time I get home to the dogs at lunch time to feed them - though admittedly I don't manage to get home every day.

Net result, the dogs can be alone for anything from 9 to 14 hours reasonably routinely.

Obviously, I'm not happy with this, and feel bad about it but unfortunately I don't really have any other option in terms of my working hours at the moment.

I have looked at getting a dog-sitter or dog-walker but there are none around me or anything else I can think of to do.

As you would imagine, I'm not happy about this situation and would prefer not to be working as I currently have to, or indeed be leaving the dogs as I am but am coming to a realisation that I might have to give the dogs in to a rescue or give them away.

I'll be devastated, but don't really see any other alternatives.

Can anyone please give their opinions? I'm out of ideas.. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    I have looked at getting a dog-sitter or dog-walker but there are none around me or anything else I can think of to do.

Could you let us know where you live if possible. Dog walking/sitting has taken off in a big way in Ireland so someone here might know of someone in your locality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

anniehoo wrote: »
    Could you let us know where you live if possible. Dog walking/sitting has taken off in a big way in Ireland so someone here might know of someone in your locality.

+ 1 or even doggy day care a couple of days a week, don't give up hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

I'm based in Thurles in Tipperary.

Thanks for the replies.. I'm not loving the idea of what I'm doing to the dogs tbh, but almost feel worse about giving them up if that makes sense.. it would be great if someone is around to help out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Have you any retired neighbours who might take the dogs out when they go for their walk. Or any ladies who go walking during the day to keep fit ? They might be delighted to have access to dogs who would 'force' them to get out every day for a walk. You would be surprised how many people are out there who would like access to a dog without the responsibility of caring for it full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

OP while its not ideal, you sound like you love your dogs and being honest, they could certainly be in worse situations and they have each other for company so I woudnt jump to give them up. Things will not always be as they are now.

If you're struggling to find a dog walker, why not put up an advert yourself in the local supermarket or local newspaper?

Ps. Also make sure they have a good supply of water and food while you're at work and if they're kept indoors consider installing a dog flap so they can get out to the loo.

• Advertisement

Layinghen wrote: »
    Have you any retired neighbours who might take the dogs out when they go for their walk. Or any ladies who go walking during the day to keep fit ? They might be delighted to have access to dogs who would 'force' them to get out every day for a walk. You would be surprised how many people are out there who would like access to a dog without the responsibility of caring for it full time.

I thought of that - but all of my neighbours are gone for most of the day... the estate is like a ghost town during the day!
    I don't know a huge number of people around teh area so can't ask around if someone wants to take the dogs for walks etc... I've checked local newspapers and in community leaflets about anyone who does dog walking/sitting but haven't found anyone... feeling a bit stumped!

OP while its not ideal, you sound like you love your dogs and being honest, they could certainly be in worse situations and they have each other for company so I woudnt jump to give them up. Things will not always be as they are now.

I actually spoke to a woman who is involved with a rescue and she pretty much echoed that comment.. I do take some comfort from that but at the same time it doesn't stop me from feeling bad about it!

The dogs are actually OK these days as they are outside a lot of the time and have plenty of food and water etc as well as shelter and warmth etc but I wasn't working like this last winter so it wasn't so bad.. I don't fancy leaving them out over the winter time so want to ensure that I have things sorted before then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Contact your local vet to ask if he knows anyone? Also ask any animal groomers etc in the area?
    I would definately be more proactive - put an ad in the local free paper & in the local supermarket - I bet there are lot of walkers out there who would bring a dog with them when walking, for a small cash incentive?
    The kids are on holidays now, maybe a teenager that might be trustworthy - again for a bit of pocket money?
    Im with the previous poster who said that they are better off with you, who obviously cares for them, than to be given up to a rescue AGAIN! And while NOT ideal, at least they have each other, and you do get home at lunch times when you can.
    I feel sorry for you. But if the dogs seem happy enough with the situation, hang in there, especially as these very long working hours are not a permanent thing -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

As it is summer-time, I'd definitely consider putting an ad in a few local newspapers and shops. A lot of teenagers and young adults are finished school and college now, and would probably be absolutely thrilled to be getting a few extra quid to spend a few hours playing with dogs!
    Believe it or not it's something I tried to look into doing here, but many don't want someone else walking their dogs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ruthy_2504

Hi OP,

I ended up in a similar situation to yourself for a year or two and it isn't easy. The idea of giving them up is a very permanent solution to what is likely a short to medium term problem. For me, I let the dogs be my guide. Both were doing well, no pining, eating well and always full of fun. Doesn't sound like dogs that weren't having their needs catered to!

Try to make your time with them count, walks and cuddles and they will do just fine. Hope your situation improves, mine has and I'd be devastated if I didn't have my babies at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

http://www.rathealypetlodge.com/delivery-day-care.html

Maybe these guys could help in some way. I know nothing about them but they do say the collect in Thurles area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    I thought of that - but all of my neighbours are gone for most of the day... the estate is like a ghost town during the day!
    I don't know a huge number of people around teh area so can't ask around if someone wants to take the dogs for walks etc... I've checked local newspapers and in community leaflets about anyone who does dog walking/sitting but haven't found anyone... feeling a bit stumped!

May be try posting an advert or leaflet yourself, you may find a neighbour willing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cocobubbles

www.petsittersireland.com they're a nationwide pet sitting service and have cover in most counties

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mentalist101

Put up ads on free websites and in shops and stores and you will be sure to get someone to look after them. I am currently pet sitting for a family that are going on holidays as I wanted to spend the summer with a pet as well as to get me out walking and keeping fit. There should be lots of teenagers or college age kids who would like to look after them for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP it's far from ideal, but as other have said - giving them up is a very long term solution. Do you manage to walk them and spend time with them on the days you're gone up to 14 hours? How do they seem in themselves?

Have a look for interactive toys and spend as much time as you can with them. I'd nearly be inclined to have them sleep in the room with me if I was gone for so long, although I know this isn't to everyones tastes. On the days you're gone for hours try your best to not only walk them but to play some games and do some training with them. This will mentally knacker them so they should sleep soundly even if they'd spent a good chunk of the day resting.

On the weekends get them out somewhere new, a good long hike in the mountains is great for all of you and you will get a lot of satisfaction from watching your dogs happily doing doggy things.

I honestly think that a dog who spends a lot of the day alone but gets proper stimulating interaction from their owner in the evenings and weekend is better off than a dog who is about the house with people all the time but who is ignored besides their one, same, 30 min walk every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NewStart!

OP I have pmd you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

http://www.petsadviser.com/behaviors/keep-dog-entertained-while-at-work/

Maybe some of these ideas could help while you try find a solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

I know how you feel, I was like that a few years ago living alone and gone all day, I used to feel so guilty. As it turned out a friend of my sister wanted to get a dog like I had so they took mine and she was a very pampered pet.

The fact that you have two dogs makes a huge difference and the fact that they have already being rescued I think you should persevere, have you posted in the regions section here? Other suggestions would be on magic mum .ie or . Rollercoaster.ie they have good local sections. There may be women who don't want the responsibility of owning a dog but would be walking everyday and would combine their daily walk with earning a few quid.

Also if ye have a local radio station they might announce it?

You'll definitely find someone to walk your dogs, look harder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Do you live in Thurles town? I might be able to sort something for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

bump. op im wondering hows things are working out for you? its looking like im heading for a change of circumstances. at the moment, i get home at lunch but im going to be changing jobs and its likely ill be away from 7.30 am to 6pm.

my plan is to take mine for a walk in the morning before i go and then a longer walk in the evening. they will be indoors and will be able to go in and out to the back garden via a dog flap.

my hubbie says they'll be fine but im worried about them. im not going to be able to afford a dogsitter or walker.

have to say at the moment they barely look at me at lunchtime, they're usually asleep when i come in and dont get up! they might take a wander out to the kitchen when im making my lunch to see if theyre going to get anything. other than that, they head out for a pee and then back to the sofa and back asleep.

im hoping they'll be ok.

Advertisement