Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name the Field Marshal........

Options
  • 28-06-2013 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of Friday trivia while finishing off a peice on this chap.....here he is in his early days in the Freikorps......

kolanel%20ALEXANDER.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

Top of my head...He looks like Von Rundstedt but I wouldn't like to stake my house on it :D.

I was looking at this again and can I have a second guess, cos it could be Keitel, they both looked similar, again I'm not putting my house on it !

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Harold Alexander, taken after World War 1, when he was fighting for the Baltic German Landeswehr in the Latvian War of Independence
    Also he was never in the Freikorps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Alexander it is.

The photo credit suggests it was taken following his capture by the Bolsheviks, but I can't find any other reference to such an incident.

I thought it might be a photo taken by a Russian, but at the peace talks.

@franklyon - sorry, you're right - he wasn't in the Freikorps, but it seems a lot of his men, when he took over, were Freikorps volunteers from Germany.

The uniform has the Landswehr rosette on the cap.

A better photo.....

260396.jpg

Advertisement