Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Ireland and need a bank account

Options
  • 28-06-2013 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hello,

I am moving back to Ireland after a number of years and have no former bank accounts.

Will it be possible to open an account with a UK address until I get settled?

Also, if I apply for a regular savings account rather than a current account are there any bank charges on the account? I am not used to paying for my banking and want to avoid any costs.

I have an Irish passport, PPSN and UK driving licence for ID purposes. I can get a letter from a UK bank verifying my current UK address, if required.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

JayBee66 wrote: »
    Hello,

I am moving back to Ireland after a number of years and have no former bank accounts.

Also, if I apply for a regular savings account rather than a current account are there any bank charges on the account? I am not used to paying for my banking and want to avoid any costs.

I have an Irish passport, PPSN and UK driving licence for ID purposes. I can get a letter from a UK bank verifying my current UK address, if required.

Thanks for any help.
    It will be possible to open an account with some banks (including BoI if you want to pay fees that you could more easily avoid elsewhere) using UK proof of address. I recently opened a BoI account (before the fee change announcement I might add) with my German paperwork, so UK stuff should be no trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

JayBee66 wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks for any help.

Hi JayBee66,

Thanks for getting in touch.

There shouldn't be any issue with opening an account with your UK address and then updating it when you are settled however, this is at the branches discretion. You can find more information on our Current Accounts here.

With a Demand Deposit Account it is not possible to have a debit card, direct debits or standing orders so it would really depend what facilities you will need from your account. We have more information on this account type here.

For proof of address we can accept a bank statement from another financial institution, a utility bill or any government document showing your name and address and any of these would need to have been issued within the last three months.

Best of luck with the move,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭JayBee66

Hi JayBee66,

Thanks for getting in touch.

There shouldn't be any issue with opening an account with your UK address and then updating it when you are settled however, this is at the branches discretion. You can find more information on our Current Accounts here.

With a Demand Deposit Account it is not possible to have a debit card, direct debits or standing orders so it would really depend what facilities you will need from your account. We have more information on this account type here.

For proof of address we can accept a bank statement from another financial institution, a utility bill or any government document showing your name and address and any of these would need to have been issued within the last three months.

Best of luck with the move,
    Tara

Thanks for the reply. I don't want any fancy banking. I just want to pay wages in via BACS and then withdraw some cash each week for food. There will be no other bills so I don't need direct debit or anything else.

However, in the UK I use paperless banking and don't have any statements from the past 3 months. I don't own or rent a house either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula H

Hi JayBee66

We would advise you to contact a Bank of Ireland branch who can assist with alternatives for account opening verification to those listed here

They will be able to guide you regarding what documents will be acceptable to accommodate you opening an account. Please be advised however, that as Tara mentioned above,  that it is at the branch's discretion. You can find branch details here 

Thank you for posting. 

Paula H

Advertisement