Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday in Clare with kids

• 28-06-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hello Clare people

I have booked a weeks holiday in Doonbeg with my hubby and 3 kids ages 4,3 and 1. Really looking forward to it as I have never really explored this beautiful county. I am heading first week of August and I am sure the sun will be splitting the stones for me. I was just looking tips of things to do with my little ones I know Doonbeg is a seaside town was just wondering is there good kiddies swimming pools or monkey mazes just in case our Irish weather fails us ;-)

Also I have read something about a steam train ? I think my kids and the big kids would get a kick out of that is it something you can take a spin on or do you just go and look at it.

Really any advice about things to do in this area would be greatly appreciated we don't mind a but of driving

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Theres a swimming pool in Kilkee with waterslides, bouncy castle and other bits n pieces. Avoid it like the plague on the August bank holiday weekend as the people who live in caravans invade the town and go into the pool for a wash and whatever day you are going there get there when it opens as it gets mobbed every day.

White strand is a safe beach near Doonbeg, as you said the sun will be splitting the rocks, and then parking will be chaos, so go early if the sun is shining.

The steam train is in Moyasta, just turn up and go for a spin. There used be a train thing pulled by a tractor in Kilkee, ran along the seafront, not sure if its still running.

Loop head lighthouse is also worth a drive.

There was kayak trips in Doonbeg last summer where he will bring ye down the river and into the bay. Not sure if its running this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Emcm wrote: »
    I have read something about a steam train ? I think my kids and the big kids would get a kick out of that is it something you can take a spin on or do you just go and look at it.

I take my six year old to the West Clare Railway in Moyasta (it's not far from Doonbeg) and it's always a great day out.
    West Clare Railway - Opening Times (April - September 2013).

The Sliabh Callan leaving the platform

Tuesday to Saturday: 1:00pm – 4:00pm (Diesel Train)

Sunday & Monday: 1:00pm – 4:00pm (Steam Engine *)

* Steam engine operates weekends June 2013 - Sept. 2013

Steam engine runs outside these times for pre booked tours

Other times by appointment

These times may be subject to change

Guided Tour of Museum, Film and train trip takes 1 hour (approx.)
    Train journey takes 15 minutes

http://www.westclarerailway.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Any idea of the price for the train trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

deelite wrote: »
    Any idea of the price for the train trip
    Fares - Guided Tour of Museum, Film and train trip takes 1 hour (approx)
    Train journey takes 15 minutes

Adults:- € 8.00
    Children:- € 4.00
    Children under 3 years free
    Group discounts available

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

+1 for the west clare railway. Great day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

relaxed wrote: »
    The steam train is in Moyasta, just turn up and go for a spin. There used be a train thing pulled by a tractor in Kilkee, ran along the seafront, not sure if its still running.

Yes, the "train thing" in Kilkee is running, watched it this Sunday just gone.

Advertisement