Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ragworm

Options
  • 28-06-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Hi all, when fishing I like use an assortment of baits, mack strips sandeel and rag/lugworm, I'm just wonderin what is the best storage method for any rag/lug that I have left over??

I've tried in wet paper in the fridge and a small plastic box, with holes and damp gritty sand, all with no survivors!! Gettin a bit pi§§ed with having to throw out a good bait all the time!!

Any and all advice welcomed!! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

You should be able to keep them alive for a few days in a fridge if you keep them in a tray with some sea water (separate trays for both worms obviously). Change the water very second day, remove the dead ones. I’ve managed to keep them this way for a few days, would still suffer a fair few losses tho.
    I’ve never actually done it myself, but I’ve seen setups where people use a small tank filled with sea water and a small aerator to keep the water oxygenated, seems to keep ragworm going for a while this way, not sure about lugworm. I'm sure you'd get sorted out at a pet store or come across something second hand easily enough for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭con___manx1

damp sea weed wrapped in newspaper keep in the fridge. just remove dead ones and keep changing the newspaper. last a few days then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I keep my rag in damp sea peat and have had them alive for over 2 weeks. I put about 10-12 in an uncovered tupperware box with just enough peat to cover them and leave them in the fridge. Every 2 days i turn the box over onto a larger tray and remove any dead or broken worms. Over a week i might only loose 1 or 2. When i want to use them i transfer them into dried peat thats also kept in the fridge. I never have any issues untill at 9/10 days and have had them for as long as 14/15 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

.red. wrote: »
    I keep my rag in damp sea peat and have had them alive for over 2 weeks. I put about 10-12 in an uncovered tupperware box with just enough peat to cover them and leave them in the fridge. Every 2 days i turn the box over onto a larger tray and remove any dead or broken worms. Over a week i might only loose 1 or 2. When i want to use them i transfer them into dried peat thats also kept in the fridge. I never have any issues untill at 9/10 days and have had them for as long as 14/15 days.

Must admit I've never heard of sea peat (or maybe I have and just never knew that's what I was looking at). What is it or where can one get it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Its pretty much just peat that comes from the sea. The spot i dig it from gets smashed up during big storms and the sand washes away exposing the big lumps of peat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement