Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeding a New Aquarium.

Options
  • 28-06-2013 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

So, I recently purchased a new 120L aquarium and set it up a few days ago in my utility room to check for leaks etc.

My first query is that the water is cloudy in the tank. From reading various internet articles, I believe that this is nothing to worry about and is quite common, as it relates to dust from my sand, even though I did rinse it thoroughly before putting it into the aquarium. I found some sand like scum on the surface of the water yesterday to back this up.

I have a 60L aquarium up and running for the past few months and with a few gold, cherry barbs and amano shrimp. I have been reading up on seeding my new aquarium but I still have a few questions.

So, I am going to do a water change today, to help remove that excess sand dust from the tank and then add the water from my 60L filter, it is due a clean today, and one or two of the plants from that cycled tank. I am going to continue throwing in some food every second day to kick off the cycle in the new tank. From reading about seeding, cycling should be far quicker than usual but will the ammonia and nitrite still peak? Also, given that I have no fish in the new tank and the plants I will be adding are the fake ones, will I need light in the new aquarium?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭eg6 vtec

have you a filter running in the new tank? my water was cloudy at 1st with i set up a new tank i left the filter on over night and it cleared up by the next morning

when i set up a new tank a few weeks back and i did the following to speed up the cycle

filled the tank up 70% with new treated water let it settle over night with the filter running, i added water from my old tank to top it all off and added filter media from old filter to the new filter ran that for a bit, did my water tests and all where spot on, then added my fish and did a 20% water change every 2 days and tested just before every change, my tank cycled more or less after a day and all tests are spot on

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Yeah, I had a filter running in it.

Anyway, I transferred the filter media, a portion of the substrate, the rocks, driftwood, plants and 50% of the water from my cycled tank into the new one. Tested the water and all was fine. So I put in the fish. It has been running for 3 days now, no ammonia, 0,15 ppm of nitrite and nitrates are 5 ppm. The water is no longer cloudy.

Advertisement