Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really good red lipstick?

• 28-06-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭

*pokes hivemind*

I'm looking for a really good red lipstick. I have a really nice 50s dress that I'm wearing to the races at Sandown next weekend and I want a strong red lipstick to wear with it. I'm quite pale (Porcelain in Bobbi Brown foundation, between NC10 and NC15 in MAC), natural honey-strawberry blonde hair and I usually keep my eyes fairly natural (using the shades from the Benefit She's So Jetset kit). Usually just wear pink lip glosses so I'm a bit lost here.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

RK I bought this a few months ago for a 40's style outfit.

http://www.feelunique.com/p/Maybelline-New-York-Superstay-24hr-Lipcolor

I picked the Red Passion colour - it's not a shocking or bright red, but against my pale skin it was bright enough (if that makes any sense). It stayed on quite well too, I only touched it up once during the evening/night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Kate Moss for Rimmel has really nice red if you don't want to splurge too much. Otherwise "Burnt red" in Bobbi Brown is one of my favourites and I have similar colouring to you. I have a couple of ancient lipsticks from Chanel that are really nice. "Dubonnet" from Mac is another contender but you may find it a bit dark (allegedly it's one of Gwen Stefani's favourites).

Most brands have good reds, to give good staying power I'll make sure my lips are nice and smooth before (I'll wear a lipbalm the night before) and usually I'll layer the lipstick over a base of lipliner or a lipstain to make sure it lasts longer. I find that with a strong red lip you need to be more precise with the application by using a brush for defined lines rather than a gloss. If you get it wrong you could look like the Joker from Batman. :(

Have fun trying them, I find that I prefer slightly blue-toned reds, you'll know when you find the right one as you'll look amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

+1 for Kate moss..excellent quality for price paid

http://www.boots.com/en/Rimmel-Kate-Lasting-Finish-Lipstick_1230439/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I second the recommendation for Maybelline Superstay 24h. It doesn't budge until you need it to and doesn't dry like a lot of long-wearing lipsticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

You'd probably have to try a few on tbh. The different tones in red lipsticks suit different complexions. Some people love a blue-red, others prefer true red. If you pop into a counter (MAC, Bobbi Brown etc) they'd help you find a suitable shade.

MAC Russian Red, Ruby Woo, and Lady Danger are much loved reds (Lady Danger has a slight orange undertone).

Rimmel Kate Moss lipsticks are brilliant. I personally love the Matte 107 but it's definitely a darker red/burgundy. The Rimmel Apocalips in Big Bang might also be worth a look, but it is a lip lacquer so it has more of a glossy finish than a lipstick (but still all of the pigmentation).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm a pale strawberry blonded lady too and I love Russian Red from MAC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Another +1 for the Kate Moss lipstick in 01, it's a lovely true red and I think it makes my teeth look a little whiter too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

another +1 for kate moss rimmel lipsticks! I also like Revlon's lipsticks they have one of two nice reds!

Advertisement