Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prisioner with Wexford address wants his false teeth returned to him

Options
  • 28-06-2013 1:21pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I heard this on the news this morning. I said to my self only in this Country

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/prisoner-brings-action-in-bid-to-have-false-teeth-returned-to-him-1.1446182

A remand prisoner at Cloverhill Prison has brought a High Court action aimed at having his false teeth returned to him.

Boguslaw Jakubiec (53), a native of Poland with an address at Carcur Cottages, Wexford, has great difficulty eating food in the prison because he does not have his dentures and has lost a significant amount of weight, causing concern for his health, the court heard.

Efforts to resolve the matter had been unsuccessful, the court was told.

Last month, following his arrest by gardaí investigating break-ins in the Dublin area, Mr Jakubiec was brought before Dublin District Court and remanded in custody to Cloverhill.

Ms Justice Mary Laffoy yesterday granted Mr Jakubiec’s counsel permission to serve short notice of the proceedings on the governor of Cloverhill Prison.

The court heard the action was being brought on grounds Mr Jakubiec’s treatment is inhumane and degrading and is a breach of his rights under Article 3 of the European Convention of Human Rights.

The judge returned the matter to Tuesday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

He is a remand prisoner which means he is has not been convicted and, as such, is presumed innocent. As a mod I would have thought boards would have provided direction regarding matters that are sub judice.

If he requires dentures they should be provided to him, whether or not he is guilty and whether or not he is Polish. If the state takes away someones liberty it has an obligation to feed, cloth, and look after them. (And I'm fairly right wing when it comes to these things)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Who has his teeth and why, did he bite somebody? If the State has them there must be a reason, if not, just give him the damn teeth or make him another set. What gob****e decided this should go before the Courts?
    Love his Christian name BTW, very apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I would not want to be the only guy on the landing with no teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ah herrreeee gimme me flamin' teeth will yis........

FlexibleFace.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

"I know what a Remand prisoner means. And i wouldn't class my opinions as sub judice."

I'm not sure you do. Earlier you had him convicted of robbing houses (on your own authority). He has been arrested in connection with a series of break-ins, however you decided "he ended up robbing houses here" before he has even been to court. Nice of you to save the judge and jury the trouble of deciding whether or not he is guilty.

And I'm not saying I have any sympathy with him or even that I'd be surprised if he was found guilty, but publicly declaring someone a criminal before conviction is not only commenting on a matter that is very much sub judice, but also meets the legal definition of defamation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Below are extracts from newspapers relating to this matter.

http://www.herald.ie/news/father-and-son-accused-of-series-of-house-robberies-29296221.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/three-charged-in-connection-with-twoyear-spree-of-100-burglaries-29294412.html

Three charged in connection with two-year spree 'of 100 burglaries

Gardai had carried out searches at homes in Courtown and Wexford Town on Thursday (MAY 23) morning and recovered house breaking implements, suspected stolen items including jewellery and watches, locksmiths tools, car key grabbers and foreign currency.

Directions from the DPP have to be obtained and it has not been stated in the proceedings whether or not further charges are to be brought against the three men.

While efforts had been made to resolve the matter, his client had had to bring High Court proceedings in an attempt to get his dentures, counsel said.

The judge returned the matter to Tuesday

I seem to be the 1 on trial now for expressing my feelings on our laws and judicial system.
    Anyhow we will let the courts decide his faith and the faith of his False teeth.

So guys in fairness what i will do is remove all my comments in posts just in case it causes trouble for boards.ie and I apologize if what i said relating to this case has offended some people.

Advertisement