Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which boxed chocolates do you buy for special occasions?

Options
  • 28-06-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My boyfriend came home last night with my favourite, Dairybox, and although I was disappointed that there's 6 almond ones in the box of 22, I still think they're lovely creamy chocolates.

What do you pick up for special occasions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I adore Butlers' chocolates, only occasionally mind as they're quite pricey!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I loved the old Dairy Box - the new ones aren't nearly as nice. I prefer Thornton's, although lately my favourite are Black Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Yeah they have changed Dairybox--too many almond ones and not enough orangey/raspberry ones..only one raspberry.

I love Butler's too and Thornton's Classic Collection.

I know there are probably far superior ones out there but I'm not really a choccie connoisseur :o

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Leonidas, especially the coffee ones

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Leonidas, especially the coffee ones
    Never had the coffee ones. I do get leonidas though, selected by myself, I wouldn't get the premade boxes. Its part of what I like about them, no duds or half-wanted ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

rubadub wrote: »
    Never had the coffee ones. I do get leonidas though, selected by myself, I wouldn't get the premade boxes. Its part of what I like about them, no duds or half-wanted ones.

I always select my own too. The hazelnut praline ones are lovely too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

rubadub wrote: »
    That's why you never had the coffee (by far the nicest) ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Black magic, but the classic selection! Not those new ones where they're all square and no cream ones.

Although I'd never say no to some butlers... thorntons... leonidas... quality street... roses... oh how the list goes on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

Leonidas every time - if I'm up grafton street direction and passing I'll often buy two strawberry ones to snack on.
    When I'm buying a box I'll always select them too.

Best Christmas tin to get is quality street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Lily O'Briens dessert collection (The one that has lemon meringue in it).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Leonidas every time - if I'm up grafton street direction and passing I'll often buy two strawberry ones to snack on.
    When I'm buying a box I'll always select them too.

Best Christmas tin to get is quality street

Oh yuck no!! Any time I get Leonidas, I specifically ask for none of the fruity ones. And I normally like strawberry chocolates.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

Faith wrote: »
    Oh yuck no!! Any time I get Leonidas, I specifically ask for none of the fruity ones. And I normally like strawberry chocolates.

A friend in work saves all her strawberry and orange quality street sweets for me (she hates them) - she gave me a bag when we came back to work after Christmas.

I gave her two milk chocolate oranges in return (not my favourite) and then we wowed to start a diet the very next Monday - of course it didn't happen !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

fussyonion wrote: »
    My boyfriend came home last night with my favourite, Dairybox, and although I was disappointed that there's 6 almond ones in the box of 22, I still think they're lovely creamy chocolates.

What do you pick up for special occasions?

Tube of smarties, no need to go over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I'm never inviting you round for dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Milk Tray

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Lindt. The Red or Gold box. Love 'em. If not those then Galaxy boxs of chocs

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Phoebas wrote: »
    That's why you never had the coffee (by far the nicest) ones.
    I would usually be getting them for my parents, and know some eating them do not like coffees, so never get them, I do like coffee things myself.
    I'm surprised quality street and roses got a mention. The price of them these days makes them less "special". I get them instead of bars as they are cheaper per gram. Had tins for kids as they were far cheaper than jellies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Roses are pure mank in recent years as well, apparently they are soy based and not proper chocolate, which explains why I feel sick after eating two of them!

Lindt truffles for me. Drool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭corklad12

Lily O'Briens dessert collection...

Box of caramel Freddos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Box of caramel Freddos.

Yep, just give me proper Cadbury's chocolate any day... The foil wrapped dairymilk.. plastic wrapped bars are the evil soya imposter.

No interest in big fancy boxes of chocolates.. I'll usually root out the hard toffee ones and the rest are left there..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I usually head into Butlers and get a box there. If I'm not near Butlers, I tend to get a box of Lindor.

I associate Roses and Quality Street with Christmas. Plus, in addition to that, the quality of them has disimproved so much over the last number of years that I don't even find them enjoyable to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Butlers and the Lily O Brien chocolates are my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,600 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I would say Lily O'Briens dessert collection but Thornton's can often be brilliant value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

A custom box. Just Thorntons sicillian lemon, or just leonidas coffee mousse ones.

I do sortof like roses as well, the orange and strawberry ones. The rest I can leave. The coffee one used to be my favourite by a long shot, but I think they discontinued it. Boo.

Depends on the person!

If I don't know exactly what they like, then leonidas, but there's one person I buy thorntons mint collection for. My dad likes Lindt dark chocolate thins or Lindt dessert selection. Another likes Black Magic and my mammy likes dairybox or all gold!

My preference would be leonidas or ferrero rocher please and thank you :D

Hotel Chocolat

Wish they had a shop in Dublin!

pwurple wrote: »
    A custom box. Just Thorntons sicillian lemon, or just leonidas coffee mousse ones.

I do sortof like roses as well, the orange and strawberry ones. The rest I can leave. The coffee one used to be my favourite by a long shot, but I think they discontinued it. Boo.

They're the worst ones, IMO. The coffee ones were lovely but they've been gone for at least a decade. Roses went to the dogs several years ago. All the nice - aka the truffle and praline types - were taken out and replaced with cheap and crap creme-filled sweets (see the orange and strawberry previously mentioned). Although I'm good with caramel.

My favourites are Hotel Chocolat or Butler's. Or any "gourmet" chocolate selection really, as long as truffle and praline (actual chocolatey chocolates rather gooey fruity crap) make up the bulk of the selection.

Wish they had a shop in Dublin!
    I used to have one literally next door to my office. Then I emigrated :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

They're the worst ones, IMO.

We should get a box together. :) I'll take all the ones you hate. I like all kinds of orange chocolate, raspberry chocolate, lemon chocolate. Fruit and chocolate I think is the bees knees!

The caramel ones are all fused together in my brain into one bunch of meh...

Just had a look at the hotel chocolat webpage. Summer sleekster looks almost entirely fruit based, with a coffee one thrown in! http://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/shop/gift-ideas/summer/summer-chocolates

Wowsa. If anyone wants to post that to me, feel free. :D

Advertisement