Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you support the reintroduction of the death penalty?

• 28-06-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I would but only in circumstances where it would be appropriate and if the sentence was carried out quickly (within 12 months). I think the death penalty for some crimes is necessary, eg, premeditated murder, serial rape, child abuse. Who agrees with me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No.

Death is too kind for some crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Yes but only in extreme cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I could not disagree more strongly. It should never be re-introduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Seems a good way to cull the human population....I'm in!

I don't think there is a better punishment for murder, rape or child abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I used to think the death penalty was a good idea, until it occurred to me that an even better punishment is forcible removal from society in such a way that the convict is fully aware of it for as long as possible. That is, maximum security solitary, for life. Meaning "life".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No. Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

SV wrote: »
    Yes but only in extreme cases.

I Honestly think anyone who commits crimes such as the Jill Meagher,Nicola Furlong cases deserves to die,Locking them up for 40 years is not enough punishment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

And what about those who are innocent? There have been many cases where everything proved they were guilty only for years later to be found innocent.
    At least if they're alive, they can get some thing of their life back.

Also death penalty mostly punishes family of the criminal. Death is merely and end,.. not a punishment. They should be worked, and hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Only for people who try skipping their Round

21/25

jimgoose wrote: »
    I used to think the death penalty was a good idea, until it occurred to me that an even better punishment is forcible removal from society in such a way that the convict is fully aware of it for as long as possible. That is, maximum security solitary, for life. Meaning "life".

It's been proven that even short term solitary will make people insane, meaning which, they no longer feel the "loss". They just become totally crazy/insensible. Not really the way to go with things either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

No.

It's been proven that even short term solitary will make people insane, meaning which, they no longer feel the "loss". They just become totally crazy/insensible. Not really the way to go with things either.

I'm sure the technique could be suitably refined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

castration for child abusers followed by death 1 year from sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    No.

As apposed to being let out early for good behaviour and suspended sentences. Then the amount of reoffenders and the ones that do so while on bail.

I Honestly think anyone who commits crimes such as the Jill Meagher,Nicola Furlong cases deserves to die,Locking them up for 40 years is not enough punishment

I would view those as extreme cases.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

With a measure of real reluctant, no - not in times of peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

No.

Ive heard people say that over the years but I don't get it. What worse punishment is there than to take someones life? Is there anything more important in the grand scheme of things than your life(please nobody say my kids life or my dogs life etc)? Without it you have nothing.
    SV wrote: »
    I would view those as extreme cases.

Death penalty should only be for extreme cases. Define extreme though I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Is it Friday already? That week went in quick, didn't it?

**Vai** wrote: »
    Ive heard people say that over the years but I don't get it. What worse punishment is there than to take someones life? Is there anything more important in the grand scheme of things than your life(please nobody say my kids life or my dogs life etc)? Without it you have nothing.

Because once you die, you no longer experience anything. You're longer left in pain/uncomfortable/constantly remembering why you're in prison etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Yes.

Nothing else seems to serve as a deterrent for some "people" it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Jaysus, the revenge fantasy one-handed-typists are out in force today.

"Bring back the death penalty!" "In fact, make it compulsory for everyone!"

If, as a society, we resort to killing people we are not fit to call ourselves civillised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

maybe they could consider a life sentence meaning a life sentence. this country is horrible. a murderer will serve a "life" sentence of what - 8 years is it? so thats probably, in reality about 5-6 years... for MURDER....

ridiculous kip.

no wonder crime is high - the criminals are not afraid because they KNOW that they wont be missing out on much of their lives by being locked up with their friends with playstations and free food and board for a couple of years.

so actually, i DO think they should bring it back in... for murder or child rape etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thread needs a polllllllll

My answer - Yes !

Hoop66 wrote: »
    If, as a society, we resort to killing people we are not fit to call ourselves civillised.

When people cross that line and do a monstrous thing they give up their rights to be treated as equals.

Maybe you should familiarize yourself with what's going on in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Life sentences which actually do what they say on the tin are what's needed.

I could only ever support the death penalty if there was an infallible justice system.

The idea that a wrongly convicted person could be executed is enough for me to feel the death penalty wouldn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Yes but only for persistent low level offenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No. Innocent people will be killed.

...If, as a society, we resort to killing people we are not fit to call ourselves civillised.

Quite so indeed. Someone should explain that to the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Death penalty should only be for extreme cases. Define extreme though I suppose.
    Death in itself is a rather a quick event. Being imprisoned for a long length of time can easily be a far more horrible event.

The death penalty is expensive, can send innocent people to their death and isn't considered an effective deterrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Bring back ball & chain gangs & make them dig ditches and clean streets and dig graves. Then the people who've been put out of work will be made politicians.
    Can be worse the the lot we've had for the last 20 odd years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

No.

I do think a life sentence should be life though, no chance of early release.

Bring back ball & chain gangs & make them dig ditches and clean streets and dig graves. Then the people who've been put out of work will be made politicians.
    Can be worse the the lot we've had for the last 20 odd years.

Yawn.

Why does every second post in AH have to include some lame reference to politicians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭TheFOB

YES!! For particular heinous cases like Larry Murphy, the Omagh bombers, premeditated murder etc.

I'd also force castrations on convicted rapists and child abusers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Yawn.
    Stop boring people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

jimgoose wrote: »

Yeah but they shouldn't have access to TV, Play stations, Menu choice of meals.

Build a super prison like we were supposed to, 10,000 Single concrete cells and lock them up 24/7. No TV, No computers, No menus choice of meals. They should get basic rations and books to read and if this means they are going to go mentally insane then that's fine by me...you shouldn't have commited murder.

Also
    if you kill a guard = death penalty,
    Kill a child = death penalty
    Rape = castration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

In before the:
    "Isn't the Government introducing the death penalty for all the unborn babies" brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Because once you die, you no longer experience anything. You're longer left in pain/uncomfortable/constantly remembering why you're in prison etc.

Get to read, watch tv, exercise etc. The idea that prisons are these uninhabitable hell holes that make living a torturous experience is just what people tell themselves.

Given the choice, could anyone honestly say they'd rather die than live in a cell for the rest of their life? Prison is ****ty, but it's still a faith far better than death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Really? I know if I had the choice of 40 years in prison or death I'd choose the latter. The death penalty lets people off easy imo.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yes it should. It would free up prison space for those that all too often get off lightly because of prison overcrowding. We should be making Ireland safer by taking dangerous criminals off the streets rather than allowing them to continue making the average Irish peoples lives miserable with their crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Really? I know if I had the choice of 40 years in prison or death I'd choose the latter. The death penalty lets people off easy imo.

No you would not. You say this but if it come to it you natural instinct to stay alive would kick in and you would happily do 80 years in a cell never mind 40.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

40 years that Irish tax payers will have to foot the bill for, all to keep a roof over a murderers/whatever else head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

After hours answer

Yes, only if it is held in public and I get the sole rights for concessions and merchandising

Real life answer is no, except if martial has to be declared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hagar the Nice.

Seems a good way to cull the human population....I'm in!

I don't think there is a better punishment for murder, rape or child abuse.
    How many innocent people have died here and abroad only for it to be found they were clearly innocent of their 'crime' years later?

bumper234 wrote: »
    No you would not. You say this but if it come to it you natural instinct to stay alive would kick in and you would happily do 80 years in a cell never mind 40.

You cant say that.
    If that were the case, no one would commit suicide.

__
    Like I've said before, hard physical work for those in prison, but no death penalty, too much risk of innocent people being wrongly convicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

bumper234 wrote: »

No, speak for yourself bumper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

YES. anyone who refers to money as "moolah" should put up against a wall.
    Ross O'Carroll Kelly should be the only one who can "moolah" and get away with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

No.

This.

Death is a quick way out, hardly a punishment, added to which they go out of their way to make the "punishment" as painless and peaceful as possible.

There should be normal prisons, and then there should be Venezuelan style ****holes, with food thrown in as slop, no running water, 50 to a cell, etc. etc.

Let them pish away their last in utter ****ing misery. That would be punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Instead of this let murderers back out after, say ten years and maybe take some more innocent lives. I'd prefer to see murderers die than their victims.

• Advertisement
Advertisement