Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you support the reintroduction of the death penalty?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

being on a holiday camp for 20 years is not

justise just expense for the taxpayer and a nice break for the crimnial.

Have you ever been to prison? No? Then it would appear you don't have a clue what your talking about in relation to prison conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Have you ever been to prison? No? Then it would appear you don't have a clue what your talking about in relation to prison conditions.

Did you?. if so Please enlighten me about prison life.

Did you?. if so Please enlighten me about prison life.

I've never been to prison no, but I'm not the one claiming I know exactly what the conditions are like in there.

You on the other hand seem to know all about them. Well, either that or you're content on posting sensationalist rubbish that adds nothing to the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

In theory yes

I've never been to prison no, but I'm not the one claiming I know exactly what the conditions are like in there.

You on the other hand seem to know all about them. Well, either that or you're content on posting sensationalist rubbish that adds nothing to the discussion.

John Lonergan was former governor of Mountjoy. It was him who raised the

issues of prison conditions and overcrowding.

The most 'sensational' thing is many high profile offenders are able to walk

free after 10 years in prison. while the victims try to cope with their attacker been released.

Crime is a serious matter and should not be called 'senationalist rubbish'

the death penalty is the only answer for victims who suffered

the trama and pain of their assalt. Many families suffer everyday

knowing that criminals walk free while their family member is either dead

or at breaking point .

Many victims cannot speak of their pain and hurt and left wondering about

how unfair the justise system really is .

• Advertisement

John Lonergan was former governor of Mountjoy. It was him who raised the

issues of prison conditions and overcrowding.

The most 'sensational' thing is many high profile offenders are able to walk

free after 10 years in prison. while the victims try to cope with their attacker been released.

Crime is a serious matter and should not be called 'senationalist rubbish'

the trama and pain of their assalt. Many families suffer everyday

knowing that criminals walk free while their family member is either dead

or at breaking point .

Many victims cannot speak of their pain and hurt and left wondering about

how unfair the justise system .

What does any of that have to do with prison conditions?

Another one who can't be bothered to read the argument in the article posted -

the victims are the only ones that suffer. i think their attacker should suffer too in the form of the death penalty.

the problem is the state 'could not be bothered' to serve a proper sentence on these criminals which leads to reoffending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

the victims are the only ones that suffer. i think their attacker should suffer too in the form of the death penalty.

the problem is the state 'could not be bothered' to serve a proper sentence on these criminals which leads to reoffending.

Apart from the mass speculation and unresearched opinion, what does any of this have to do with the news story you linked to, your post, or the reply of mine which you quoted? Seriously, I could tear your entire theory apart in two words, but because it's so bady presented, I'm not entirely sure I'd be accurate.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,200 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The tax payer would save millions on reintroducing the death penalty.
    wrong, evidence shows it costs way more.
    Overcrowding solved in a shot
    wrong
    Crime rates decrease dramatically
    wrong, the evidence shows that the death penalty has no effect on crime rates
    Crime gangs would leave the country in fear of their lives.
    considering the risk of members of these gangs being shot anywhere at anytime is very high yet many stick around, that shows that that statement is complete nonsense

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

John Lonergan was former governor of Mountjoy. It was him who raised the issues of prison conditions and overcrowding.
    and John Lonergan is a man who knows what he is talking about and is well respected because he has actually experienced the system, unlike you
    the trama and pain of their assalt.
    the death penalty isn't an answer to anything, hense why many countries don't have it

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Do you think long-term imprisonment is a holiday or something? You'd swear criminals want to hop into jail with the way you talk about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭Mr Williams

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Do you think long-term imprisonment is a holiday or something? You'd swear criminals want to hop into jail with the way you talk about it.

When John Gilligan left prision after spending 17 years there he looked like someone who had just spent a few weeks in the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When John Gilligan left prision after spending 17 years there he looked like someone who had just spent a few weeks in the sun.

Have you seen his picture in the Independent...

and John Lonergan is a man who knows what he is talking about and is well respected because he has actually experienced the system,

John Lonergan is a lunatic. I remenmber when Larry Murphy was released from prison Lonergan was on the radio and said Larry Murphy should be "left alone" yes you heard it right Larry Murphy should be "left alone". Lonergan is completely mad its no wonder the prison system is the way it is with the likes of him running it.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Have you seen his picture in the Independent...

Yes he has suffered more in the past few weeks than the 17 years he spent in prison.

Yes he has suffered more in the past few weeks than the 17 years he spent in prison.

Did he tell you that when you visited his house with a pitchfork? :o

John Lonergan is a lunatic. I remenmber when Larry Murphy was released from prison Lonergan was on the radio and said Larry Murphy should be "left alone" yes you heard it right Larry Murphy should be "left alone". Lonergan is completely mad its no wonder the prison system is the way it is with the likes of him running it.

What do you suggest in the alternative?

What do you suggest in the alternative?

At the very least the public need to be aware of his movements.

But if we listen to John Lonergan he should be free to run wild in the community:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

No, I would absolutely NOT support any reintroduction of the death penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

But if we listen to John Lonergan he should be free to run wild in the community:rolleyes:

"Run wild"??? Where, exactly, did John Lonergan say that? Please do give the source. There's a big difference between 'left alone' and 'free to run wild'. I can believe that Lonergan spoke against vigilantee-ism; but sure Larry Murphy was under observation by the Gardaí.

• Advertisement

no he didn't

"Run wild"??? Where, exactly, did John Lonergan say that? Please do give the source. There's a big difference between 'left alone' and 'free to run wild'. I can believe that Lonergan spoke against vigilantee-ism; but sure Larry Murphy was under observation by the Gardaí.

He said Larry Murphy should be "left alone" which means letting him roam free in the community.

John Lonergan is a lunatic.
    no he's not, he's well respected and knows what he's talking about unlike tabloid types
    I remenmber when Larry Murphy was released from prison Lonergan was on the radio and said Larry Murphy should be "left alone" yes you heard it right Larry Murphy should be "left alone".
    and he was right, he should be left alone apart from the guardai monitoring him
    Lonergan is completely mad
    no he's not.
    its no wonder the prison system is the way it is with the likes of him running it.
    oh? well at least he has ran a prison, you haven't and never will, so i'd take whatever he says over you any day, now go away, your tabloid style nonsense is boaring everyone

At the very least the public need to be aware of his movements.

Run wild in the community? Sensationalise much?? Is it ok if he walks calmly and at a moderate pace?

Like it or not, he has done his time and there is no legal provision for following his every move. I guess the supervisory mechanism you have in mind is the tabloid type - pictures of him wearing a hoody ducking into or out of a train station, and hysterical facebook warnings about "recent sightings". Sorry but that doesn't help anyone, it just fuels the mob mentality.

He is on the sex offenders reg. He's hardly likely to be given a job where he will be a danger to others. He will also probably be required to sign on in garda stations at frequent intervals.

What do you want? Larry Murphy FM that broadcasts an updated location every thirty seconds? Have you any idea how much man power and revenue that would cost? Not to mention the elephant in the room thats jumping up and down saying, "knowing where one sex offender is will not keep you safe. We must all be vigilante for our own safety all of the time".

I think there was a book called that. Something about foxes...? Run Wild, Run Free?

He said Larry Murphy should be "left alone" which means letting him roam free in the community.
    no it doesn't, wrong again

no he didn't

Really ?
    image.jpg

Really ?
    image.jpg

I'm not really sure what exactly you are trying to prove with this picture. "He looks too good...send him back in for another stint"??

I'm not really sure what exactly you are trying to prove with this picture. "He looks too good...send him back in for another stint"??

He looks like somebody who has just come back from a nice holiday.

• Advertisement

no it doesn't, wrong again

Lonergan does not believe the public have a right to know where Larry Murphy is.

Run wild in the community? Sensationalise much?? Is it ok if he walks calmly and at a moderate pace?

Like it or not, he has done his time and there is no legal provision for following his every move. I guess the supervisory mechanism you have in mind is the tabloid type - pictures of him wearing a hoody ducking into or out of a train station, and hysterical facebook warnings about "recent sightings". Sorry but that doesn't help anyone, it just fuels the mob mentality.

He is on the sex offenders reg. He's hardly likely to be given a job where he will be a danger to others. He will also probably be required to sign on in garda stations at frequent intervals.

What do you want? Larry Murphy FM that broadcasts an updated location every thirty seconds? Have you any idea how much man power and revenue that would cost? Not to mention the elephant in the room thats jumping up and down saying, "knowing where one sex offender is will not keep you safe. We must all be vigilante for our own safety all of the time".

It wouldn't cost anything for the public to keep tabs on Larry Murphy.

Would you not want to know if Larry Murphy was living in your area ?

For the public to keep tabs on him? Ah now I have you. We are all supposed to stop what we are doing and jump on the bandwagon and spread hysteria for the sake of it. Did it ever occur to you that some of us have jobs and study and lives that we want to get on with? That we are happy with the judiciary doing their job, and we will do whatever we can to keep ourselves and our loved ones safe, as we would whether it is Larry Murphy or Mary Poppins living beside us? That bricking someone's window/following them around the supermarket/posting "white van" messages on our female friends fb profiles does not actually keep anyone safe??

I have a category of people in my head that fit your description. I call them "It's a disgrace Joe".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I know I wouldn't.

Ignorance is bliss in this situation.

You're more in danger of nearly anyone else than you are of Larry Murphy. You could possibly have a murderer, rapist, bugler living right next to you right now, Mr. Williams.

I've come back from boozey holidays looking worse :)

and John Lonergan is a man who knows what he is talking about and is well respected because he has actually experienced the system, unlike you
    the trama and pain of their assalt.
    the death penalty isn't an answer to anything, hense why many countries don't have it

firstly you say my argument is wrong without giving any alternative suggestions.

secondly you endorse criminals to continue on their inspeakable ways by

saying it . 'isnt the answer'.

It seems you dont hold any views on this topic whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Heres another good candidate for the death penalty.

Why should the people of east wall have to live in fear of this animal ?

http://www.thestar.ie/star/sicko-sex-beat-back-on-the-streets-35667/

Lonergan does not believe the public have a right to know where Larry Murphy is.
    and i agree with him, i'm not having ferrel vidulanty vermin roming around like wild animals, its much easier and cost effective to keep the system we have of not informing the public

it ultimately would, the public are not qualified enough to do such a job, it must be left to the experts aka the guardai to do such a job.
    couldn't care to be honest, if a guarda told me in confidents that he was in my area i could actually be trusted with the information and trusted to keep it to myself unlike the tabloid types

firstly you say my argument is wrong without giving any alternative suggestions.

secondly you endorse criminals to continue on their inspeakable ways by

saying it . 'isnt the answer'.

It seems you dont hold any views on this topic whatsoever.
    go back and read the thread, i've all ready given my views, i'm not repeating myself over and over again like you and mr williams, same thing over and over again, boaring

go back and read the thread, i've all ready given my views, i'm not repeating myself over and over again like you and mr williams, same thing over and over again, boaring

could not find anything only the response of negative posting of pointing out

what posters said wrong and giving no opinion at all yourself.

frankly this is boring . by repeating yourself you are just going round in circles with no clear logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

The reality is none of us know who or what lives amongst us. If we've learned anything over the last 20 years it should be that.
    I'm not saying we should be walking around in fear and trepidation just be sensible and be safe especially with kids
    No death penalty.

As has been pointed out previously, capital punishment for sex offences causes an increase in murdered rape victims.

You clearly care nothing about victims and only about your lust for blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Do you know exactly what conditions he was held under? I mean actually "know" - not have read in some trashy tabloid or imagined because you think it migth help your point?

If so, please tell. If not, you are in no position to criticise either the prison service or its personnel (current or past).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Ah yeah, link a Star article, that's pretty legit citation there.

How about these guys? Should these "beasts" have been executed?

could not find anything only the response of negative posting of pointing out

what posters said wrong and giving no opinion at all yourself.

frankly this is boring . by repeating yourself you are just going round in circles with no clear logic.

Here ya go, from a few months ago:

I oppose the death penalty on three counts, all of which I have stated numerous times in this thread:
    1 - Fallability.
    2 - Cost (both of appeals and leaving the EU).
    3 - Pointlessness.

Do you know exactly what conditions he was held under? I mean actually "know" - not have read in some trashy tabloid or imagined because you think it migth help your point?

If so, please tell. If not, you are in no position to criticise either the prison service or its personnel (current or past).

Gilligan and his pals look like they were having the time of their lives inside Portlaoise prison.

What did they do ?

Here ya go, from a few months ago:

I oppose the death penalty on three counts, all of which I have stated numerous times in this thread:
    1 - Fallability.
    2 - Cost (both of appeals and leaving the EU).
    3 - Pointlessness.

A rope or a bullet doesnt cost much.

I'm not the only one who thinks Lonergan is a useless waster.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/how-can-the-governor-of-western-europes-worst-and-most-violent-prison-become-a-media-luvvie-26530883.html

And what does Kevin Myers know about the running of prisons?

Regardless, he's actually criticising the conditions in Mountjoy. Hardly backs up the holiday camp argument.

• Advertisement
Advertisement