Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you support the reintroduction of the death penalty?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

he got a sympathetic jury who believed his sob story, anyway back to the death penalty, has no place here, its 2014 not 1814

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

he got a sympathetic jury who believed his sob story, anyway back to the death penalty, has no place here, its 2014 not 1814

you are missing the point. Nally used the death penalty. the jury rightfully judged in favour of nally because the situation he was in.

therefore in circumstances where you are under threat you have a right to

defend yourself and if needs be kill your attacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

no, but if they injour or take a life then they have to be locked up as their a danger to society

No they should be rewarded with a medal and freedom of the city.

Jumboman wrote: »
    Your talking nonsense. Padraig Nally is not a danger to society.

He is a hero. Sound man. Job well done.

you are missing the point. Nally used the death penalty. the jury rightfully judged in favour of nally because the situation he was in.

therefore in circumstances where you are under threat you have a right to

defend yourself and if needs be kill your attacker.
    no, the right to use reasonable force, killing isn't reasonable force, fact is he got a sympathetic jury who bought his sob story, another one may have convicted him which he should have been, either way i've no sympathy for him or anyone who does what he did, just as trashy as the gangland criminals

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

no, the right to use reasonable force, killing isn't reasonable force, fact is he got a sympathetic jury who bought his sob story, another one may have convicted him which he should have been, either way i've no sympathy for him or anyone who does what he did, just as trashy as the gangland criminals

All Mr Nally did was defend him self. Your away with the fairies defending house breakers.

If someone breaks into someones elses house then should expect lethal force to be used against them.

i acknowledge what you are saying and yes you are right nobody should be treated like trash.

However as i already said the death penalty should be brought in as a final

punishment for any criminal no matter what class.

in theory everybody is equal under the law.

Piliger wrote: »
    He is a hero. Sound man. Job well done.
    wrong, scumbag, trash, got away with it

calm down. i understand this is a sensitive issue for you.

How is somebody who defends their home a scumbag ?

• Advertisement

All Mr Nally did was defend him self.
    i don't believe that was what he was doing, i believe their was more to it, he told a sob story and was believed
    If someone breaks into someones elses house then should expect lethal force to be used against them.
    no, one is not entitled to use lethal force, allowing them to means the burdlers will bring even more lethal force meaning more people get hurt

i acknowledge what you are saying and yes you are right nobody should be treated like trash. everybody is equal under the law.
    completely agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The death penalty would solve many of your issues raised.
    Nope.
    The Jury system would give a fair and unbiased verdict in any murder case.
    Nope.

Nope nope nope. "(i) juries formed from all-white jury pools convict black defendants significantly (16 percentage points) more often than white defendants and (ii) this gap in conviction rates is entirely eliminated when the jury pool includes at least one black member." ... "He found that white-on-black killings were more than twice as likely to be found "justified" as white-on-white killings, and more than three times as likely in stand-your-ground states."

Is it just an American issue alone? Nope... "A study published last year by three University of Leiden criminologists of 365 trials at 10 Dutch courts found that "Dutch-looking" Dutch citizens received jail sentences for such offences 11% of the time. "Foreign-looking" Dutch citizens, generally those who appeared to have Middle-Eastern, black, or eastern-European ancestry, received jail sentences 28% of the time. (Actual foreigners who did not speak Dutch received jail sentences more than half the time.)"
    shroom007 wrote: »
    of course there will still be victims but not ones of repeat offenders.
    Nope.

And one more time, because people seem to be trying to ignore it for some reason (I just wonder why...): http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates

Billy86 wrote: »
    Nope.

Nope.

Nope nope nope. "(i) juries formed from all-white jury pools convict black defendants significantly (16 percentage points) more often than white defendants and (ii) this gap in conviction rates is entirely eliminated when the jury pool includes at least one black member." ... "He found that white-on-black killings were more than twice as likely to be found "justified" as white-on-white killings, and more than three times as likely in stand-your-ground states."

Is it just an American issue alone? Nope... "A study published last year by three University of Leiden criminologists of 365 trials at 10 Dutch courts found that "Dutch-looking" Dutch citizens received jail sentences for such offences 11% of the time. "Foreign-looking" Dutch citizens, generally those who appeared to have Middle-Eastern, black, or eastern-European ancestry, received jail sentences 28% of the time. (Actual foreigners who did not speak Dutch received jail sentences more than half the time.)"

Nope.

And one more time, because people seem to be trying to ignore it for some reason (I just wonder why...): http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates

What has that got to do with anything ? some minority groups commit disproportionate amounts of crime compared with the general population. So its only natural they will end up in court.

I dont care what race the person is a scumbag is a scumbag.

It would be great if we had a justice system which acted as a deterrent, public services should be limited and gauged on how someone behaves in society.

There should be prison ships coasting within our waters with our scum, if they go down, well, sh!t floats...

What was the question again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

i don't believe that was what he was doing, i believe their was more to it, he told a sob story and was believed

no, one is not entitled to use lethal force, allowing them to means the burdlers will bring even more lethal force meaning more people get hurt

So, please tell us EOTR, you wake at 5am to find a stranger walking down the stairs with your 5year old in his arms, how do you react?
    (This happened near to my home, the perp went on to murder savagely after being released on bail)

What has that got to do with anything ? some minority groups commit disproportionate amounts of crime compared with the general population. So its only natural they will end up in court.

I dont care what race the person is a scumbag is a scumbag.
    Read more carefully. That is not percentage of population brought to court. It is percentage of population found guilty in court. Note the difference with just one black juror vs an all white jury. This concept some have of all juries being noble, unbiased and completely objective has repeatedly been proven utterly false.

And still nobody has responded even once to why there are higher murder rates in states in the US that have the death penalty vs those that don't, consistently and pronounced over at least 20 straight years. Why is that? I must have linked to it 10-15 times in this thread yet not one response room the pro death penalty crowd. Huh.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    So, please tell us EOTR, you wake at 5am to find a stranger walking down the stairs with your 5year old in his arms, how do you react?
    (This happened near to my home, the perp went on to murder savagely after being released on bail)

Our freind end of the road would probably make him a cup of tea.

Read more carefully. That is not percentage of population brought to court. It is percentage of population found guilty in court. Note the difference with just one black juror vs an all white jury. This concept some have of all juries being noble, unbiased and completely objective has repeatedly been proven utterly false.

As I said certain groups in society commit disproportionate amounts of crime so it follows they will have a higher conviction rate than the mainstream population. Theres nothing unusual about that unless you want to play the minority card.
    And still nobody has responded even once to why there are higher murder rates in states in the US that have the death penalty vs those that don't, consistently and pronounced over at least 20 straight years. Why is that? I must have linked to it 10-15 times in this thread yet not one response room the pro death penalty crowd. Huh.
    You can get states to come up with anything. The bottom line is that if you put down a rapist they will never rape someone again. Thats not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Any reasonable person who read the complete reports on what Nally did knows exactly what happened and how extreme was his reaction. I could not justify his actions. If I woke in the night and heard someone coming up the stairs then if I had a gun I would give a warning. If the criminal didn't retreat then certainly I would fire. But if he is running out the door I wouldn't follow and finish him off on the driveway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

A Japanese court has ordered the release of the world's longest-serving death row inmate, saying investigators had probably made up evidence in a murder case that left him behind bars for nearly half a century.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/freedom-for-48year-death-row-man-30130991.html

lucky or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hitchens wrote: »
    A Japanese court has ordered the release of the world's longest-serving death row inmate, saying investigators had probably made up evidence in a murder case that left him behind bars for nearly half a century.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/freedom-for-48year-death-row-man-30130991.html

lucky or what?

More than 16000 mornings waking up wondering if today is the day he dies.

Hitchens wrote: »

lucky or what?

someone buy that man a pint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

osarusan wrote: »
    More than 16000 mornings waking up wondering if today is the day he dies.

That's if he even slept in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Our freind end of the road would probably make him a cup of tea.
    Cant you just see him there "Hmmm this gentleman seems to be attempting to remove my child...now, whats the LOGICAL thing to do. Better not push him down the stairs, he might get hurt and i wouldnt want him to accuse me of using unreasonable force! "Here, sir, I demand that you return my child to me and leave my premises at once, closing the door behind you! At once I say!"LOL

• Advertisement

As I said certain groups in society commit disproportionate amounts of crime so it follows they will have a higher conviction rate than the mainstream population. Theres nothing unusual about that unless you want to play the minority card.
    So what you are actually saying is that more white people n America and Dutch people in Holland get wrongly accused than minorities? Riiiiggghhht...
    You can get states to come up with anything. The bottom line is that if you put down a rapist they will never rape someone again. Thats not rocket science.
    It's also not rocket science that if they know they will be killed, they are more likely to murder their victims to cover up what they have done, and to take other irrational actions like trying to fight their way out even if they know they have no chance of escape. Which leads to higher murder rates.

In fact not only isn't it rocket science, it is factually proven over 20 consecutive years with a wide margin of difference between those with and without the death sentence. Unlike any claims being made that the death sentence will help in any reasonable way, shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

"Dundon solicitor to seek Geoghegan conviction review in wake of phone recording controversy"

Brilliant! if this scumbag was already Hung/Gassed/lethal injectioned this would not be an issue,

"Dundon solicitor to seek Geoghegan conviction review in wake of phone recording controversy"

Brilliant! if this scumbag was already Hung/Gassed/lethal injectioned this would not be an issue,
    your right, the tax payer wouldn't end up paying out because someone was executed on an unsafe conviction, brilliant point, oh, wait, sorry they actually would have to pay out, oh, dear, looks like your W R O N G, after all

of course they will
    the bloody tax payer paid out and will be for the next 100yrs for the greed mongering
    of fingers/seanie/drumm and the rest of those cockroaches but we'll never get the chance to hang them fu*kers for sh*tting on the lives of thousands of people

is there a difference

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

of course they will
    the bloody tax payer paid out and will be for the next 100yrs for the greed mongering
    of fingers/seanie/drumm and the rest of those cockroaches but we'll never get the chance to hang them fu*kers for sh*tting on the lives of thousands of people

is there a difference

You want the above three hanged despite them not having been convicted of a crime? On what basis do you think they should be hanged?

• Advertisement

Pure fu*king Greed/theft/ fraud/and deliberately misleading the fu*kwit government of the day and the equally inept regulator on a grand scale. knowingly landing the Irish people with an enormous debt that was not theirs and fu*cking laughing about in full knowledge that they will face no consequences,

Pure fu*king Greed/theft/ fraud/and deliberately misleading the fu*kwit government of the day and the equally inept regulator on a grand scale. knowingly landing the Irish people with an enormous debt that was not theirs and fu*cking laughing about in full knowledge that they will face no consequences,
    What about a**hole bosses in all businesses who mess about to avoid bonus/commission/holiday/sick pay for their staff? Death for all them too, I suppose?

And No comment on the Japanese fella, so?

So what you are actually saying is that more white people n America and Dutch people in Holland get wrongly accused than minorities? Riiiiggghhht...

It's also not rocket science that if they know they will be killed, they are more likely to murder their victims to cover up what they have done, and to take other irrational actions like trying to fight their way out even if they know they have no chance of escape. Which leads to higher murder rates.

In fact not only isn't it rocket science, it is factually proven over 20 consecutive years with a wide margin of difference between those with and without the death sentence. Unlike any claims being made that the death sentence will help in any reasonable way, shape or form.

You could say the same thing about the rapist scumbag in athlone since he got life anyway he could of killed the girls.

Murder is a lot harder to cover up than rape. There are priests who have raped 100s of people are we suppose to believe they would murder every victim if the death penalty was bought in ?

You sound like somebody who robs houses or knows people that do it.

9 out of 10 Irish people think Mr Nally is a hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So a survey was done, then, was it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

So a survey was done, then, was it?

Yes there was one done on the radio.

Mr Nally did the right thing in the circumstances he was in.

he is more then a hero a legend:)

He rose to the occasion. Many people in his position would of frozen in fear but not Mr Nally he decided he wasnt going to be a victim and fought back with amazing courage and bravery. He will go down as folk hero.

Its shameful he was never given any official recognition for his public service.

He rose to the occasion. Many people in his position would of frozen in fear but not Mr Nally he decided he wasnt going to be a victim and fought back with amazing courage and bravery. He will go down as folk hero.

Its shameful he was never given any official recognition for his public service.
    Another reason we should have done kind of award system in this country.

wrong, its not as high as that, 2 or 3 out of 10, and that would be because he shot a traveler

• Advertisement

wrong, vermin who shot a man because he was a traveler

wrong, its not as high as that, 2 or 3 out of 10, and that would be because he shot a traveler

Nope. I seem to recall it being higher than 9/10.

lol, all that made me chuckle

wrong, vermin who shot a man because he was a traveler

Your talking nonsense how would he have even known he was a traveler ?

The man was in fear of his life and decided to fight back.

Piliger wrote: »
    Nope. I seem to recall it being higher than 9/10.

He had MASSIVE support in his home town.

Your talking nonsense how would he have even known he was a traveler ?

The man was in fear of his life and decided to fight back.
    no, he did it for kicks because the man was a traveler, i'm sticking to that so back to the death penalty

He had MASSIVE support in his home town.
    couldn't care a less

couldn't care a less

Thats democracy for ya. The majority of irish people think hes a great man.

no, he did it for kicks because the man was a traveler, i'm sticking to that so back to the death penalty

But how did he know he was a traveler can you prove that ?

• Advertisement

Thats democracy for ya. The majority of irish people think hes a great man.
    in your opinion, a pole on a troll phone in show on a radio station does not constitute the majority of irish peoples views, he will get support from the traveler haters and a few delusianelests who think they can behave like wild animals but he won't be getting any from me and many others, i won't be changing my opinion on him, now back to the death penalty

Advertisement