Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you support the reintroduction of the death penalty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Jumboman wrote: »
    Just read the Irish Times:D

I do.

I repeat my question, Where is your evidence for this statement?

(I guess you read a short arm 'newspaper' ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I've a question for people who support human rights for scumbags,

If a member of your family was brutally raped and murdered by a savage criminal would you really care about their human rights
    scumbags have human rights whether i like it or not, frankly i'm happy that they do as it sets standards in society to make sure we don't become ferrel, anyway you and others have all ready brought this up in this thread as a means to try get people to change their opinion, it doesn't work
    would you want justice ?
    justice, yes, revenge by killing someone, no thanks

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I've a question for people who support human rights for scumbags,

If a member of your family was brutally raped and murdered by a savage criminal would you really care about their human rights or would you want justice ?

Murdered Rachel O'Reilly's dad demands death penalty for cold-blooded killers.

Heartbroken Jim Callally claims it is the only way to make psychos think twice.

Well, I reckon anyone in this poor man's position would say the same, and so would the majority if it went to a referendum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Cedrus wrote: »
    I do.

I repeat my question, Where is your evidence for this statement?

(I guess you read a short arm 'newspaper' ?)

In fairness, he didn't make the statement....
    Hitchens wrote: »
    Murdered Rachel O'Reilly's dad demands death penalty for cold-blooded killers.

Well, I reckon anyone in this poor man's position would say the same, and so would the majority if it went to a referendum!

...he did. But he's had trouble defining things earlier in the thread, haven't you H.?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

has he any evidence for this statement or is he
    1. delusianel
    2. been told that by some pro death penalty group who seems to think it works as a deterrent even though the evidence says otherwise?
    considering a majority voted to abolish it, they won't be voting to bring it back, as were in the EU we can't anyway thankfully

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm pro death penalty ,
    But we've a ridiculous legal and penal system that favours the criminal rather than the victim's,
    We've next to no large prison's and the ones we have are a holiday camp with free drugs been dealed on a daily basis ,
    We have judges who blatantly refuse to punish criminals and settle of sob stories and oh I smoked a joint and drank a beer before kicking somebody to death ,
    Rapists who walk free
    Multiple murders winning court cases which say a man can only serve one life sentence despite killing 3-4 people,
    So before we ask to re enstate the death penalty fix all the above first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Gatling wrote: »
    I'm pro death penalty ,
    But we've a ridiculous legal and penal system that favours the criminal rather than the victim's,
    We've next to no large prison's and the ones we have are a holiday camp with free drugs been dealed on a daily basis ,
    We have judges who blatantly refuse to punish criminals and settle of sob stories and oh I smoked a joint and drank a beer before kicking somebody to death ,
    Rapists who walk free
    Multiple murders winning court cases which say a man can only serve one life sentence despite killing 3-4 people,
    So before we ask to re enstate the death penalty fix all the above first

I'd agree with most of that, bar the prison-holiday-camp bit. No one's ever managed to back that one up. Fix the rest of them, though, and you're right - and we probably won't be needing a death penalty.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

In fairness, he didn't make the statement....

True, I did make a mistake there in my address, but both of them strike me as people with a fondness for broad tar brushes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Well, I reckon anyone in this poor man's position would say the same, and so would the majority if it went to a referendum![/I]

It did go to a referendum in 2001 and a large majority voted to remove all mention of the death penalty from the Constitution. In addition the death penalty is illegal under EU law and under our obligations under the European Convention on Human Rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Absolutely no way.

It should be abolished immediately wherever it currently exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Jaysus, the revenge fantasy one-handed-typists are out in force today.

"Bring back the death penalty!" "In fact, make it compulsory for everyone!"

If, as a society, we resort to killing people we are not fit to call ourselves civillised.

the vast majority of society is civalised but the ones who would deserve the death penalty would be the ones who do uncivalised things so they should be treated according to the rules they choose to live by

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Well, I reckon anyone in this poor man's position would say the same, and so would the majority if it went to a referendum![/I]

Where are you pulling this rubbish out of? Are you not aware that the people of Ireland have voted on this a number of times already? (Both explicitly and implicitly).

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It did go to a referendum in 2001 and a large majority voted to remove all mention of the death penalty from the Constitution. In addition the death penalty is illegal under EU law and under our obligations under the European Convention on Human Rights.

Out of an electorate of almost 3 million, the turnout was a third of that. It was a 60 - 40 result, hardly a large majority. That was 12 long years ago and a lot has changed for the worst since then.

If there was a referendum on it now there would be a reversal on that result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

If there was a death penalty in the UK there would have been no reprieve for the victims of the various mis-carriages of justice during the troubles...

Out of an electorate of almost 3 million, the turnout was a third of that. It was a 60 - 40 result, hardly a large majority. That was 12 long years ago and a lot has changed for the worst since then.

Do you know anything about statistical sampling? 33% of the population is a fairly massive sample size.

60-40 is also a massive majority in a referendum.

Bull****. Please back this up with something that hasn't come directly from your own head.

I highly doubt that. Anyway for you to have your way and allow state sponsored killing you would have to get Ireland to leave the EU and get us to rescind our obligations under the European Convention on Human Rights. How many people in Ireland do you think would be prepared to do that??? A rough guess will do.

Bull****. Please back this up with something that hasn't come directly from your own head.

Everyone I've spoken to about it (all ordinary law abiding folk, not the PC Brigade and tree-huggers that infest internet forums) would vote for the death penalty in a referendum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I don't think it can ever be justified.

Everyone I've spoken to about it (all ordinary law abiding folk, not the PC Brigade and tree-huggers that infest internet forums) would vote for the death penalty in a referendum!

Where were all these people in 2001?

• Advertisement

That's the definition of anecdotal. Any proper statistical evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Agree with the death penalty 100%

It should be made mandatory to have the death penalty in every country in my opinion.

Life in prison should mean life in prison too. I don't know how many times I have seen/read about people up in court for burglary, drugs, assault etc with strings of previous convictions attached to their names and yet they still don't see the inside of a cell.

We have a genuinely pathetic and reprehensible legal system which favors scumbags, I personally would not call us a civilized country at the moment, I mean how civilized is it letting scum, criminals walk free time and time again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

it costs us a fortune to keep these creeps in prison.

i really dont see why prisoners arent forced to work.

It's just a nonsense argument that the death penalty deters murder.

In the US, the states with the lowest murder rate, are states with no death penalty. Michigan and New Mexico being the only real exceptions, of the states with no death penalty statute.

It should be made mandatory to have the death penalty in every country in my opinion.

How exactly would this work?

Without a doubt, this is the most bizarre post I have ever seen.

• Advertisement

How exactly would this work?

It would only work in an ideal world which unfortunately we don't have.

Haha, what sort of an ideal world has people deserving of the death penalty? You need to come up with a better ideal world.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't need to resort to killing people.

So your idea of Utopia is state sanctioned killing in every country in the world! Sound like a Dystopian nightmare.

Haha, what sort of an ideal world has people deserving of the death penalty? You need to come up with a better ideal world.

No I don't.

There are plenty of crimes all over the world that warrant the death penalty as punishment.

• Advertisement

In an ideal world, we wouldn't need to resort to killing people.

I really mean an ideal legal system should have the death penalty as an option, should of made that clearer.

How much does it cost the tax payer to keep these prisoners locked up for life? A lot id imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

it costs us a fortune to keep these creeps in prison.

i really dont see why prisoners arent forced to work.

I agree, these people should be put to work, but the question is what kind of work. Roadwork is all fine in the states because the officers are armed to the teeth.

On a different note, I would love the unemployed to be put to work on state projects, not leased to companies for slave labour, although in this day and age it would probably be an insurance nightmare.

How much does it cost the tax payer to keep these prisoners locked up for life? A lot id imagine.

Less than it costs to execute people as it happens. Don't let that run your utopia though.

Agree with the death penalty 100%

With arguments of this calibre, how can the pro-death camp (pun unintended) lose?

Everyone I speak to, hate Fine Gael.

Funny ole world.

So why are posters so against capital punishment

So why are posters so against capital punishment

Because murder, including state-sponsored murder, is immoral and unjustifiable.

hes bad. hes SO bad that we are going to kill him.

Inject him with a load of poison til he dies.

because hes bad.

If you take a life you invalidate your right to life

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

there is very little moral wriggle room between taking someones life and locking them in a cell for the rest of their life.
    Capital punishment in some cases makes good economic sense.
    Almost 100k per year to keep one prisoner.

• Advertisement

According to who? What if it's unintentional taking of life? What if it's taking of life by necessity? Who gives you the right to decide any of these things when the Irish people have decided otherwise?

insert controversial abortion reference

there is very little moral wriggle room between taking someones life and locking them in a cell for the rest of their life.
    Capital punishment in some cases makes good economic sense.
    Almost 100k per year to keep one prisoner.

Why do people never read links that people post? The financial argument makes no sense: http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/death-penalty/us-death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost

Take our laws murder get you 7 -15 years in prison if your lucky,

Telling a parent that a child's life or an adults life is only worth 7+ years is a bigger crime

Take our laws murder get you 7 -15 years in prison if your lucky,

Telling a parent that a child's life or an adults life is only worth 7+ years is a bigger crime

That's blatantly just sensationalism.

That's blatantly just sensationalism.

Really based off what exactly

State sponsored murder isn't

What are the benefits of the death penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Why do people never read links that people post? The financial argument makes no sense: http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/death-penalty/us-death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost
    Thats smoke and mirrors.
    The death penalty does not cost millions of dollars.
    Repeated appeals and high salaries for lawyers do.
    That can be easily remedied by changing the legal process.
    The death penalty costs whatever a bullet costs.
    Your link is an attempt to muddy the debate with chicannery.

Really based off what exactly

State sponsored murder isn't

Murder under Irish law carries a life sentence, which is more than just whatever is served in prison. Most murderers serve far longer than the period of time you're using as hyperbole.

How is an execution not state-sponsored murder?

• Advertisement

Thats smoke and mirrors.
    The death penalty does not cost millions of dollars.
    Repeated appeals and high slaries for lawyers do.
    That can be easily remedied by changing the legal process.
    The death penalty costs whatever a bullet costs.
    Your link is an attempt to muddy the debate with chicannery.

So we'll remove the appeals process from our criminal justice system? What a fantastic friggin idea. :rolleyes:

Advertisement