Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky - Posted Junk mail

Options
  • 28-06-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions to stop unsolicited letters asking me to sign up to Sky TV service addressed to:

The Occupier
    1 xxx xxx
    Xxx xxx
    Xxx xxx

I have "no junk mail" displayed on the post box, that has only stopped leaflets. They manage to get around it with their wording. I've never had an account with them before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rainblow

Any suggestions to stop unsolicited letters asking me to sign up to Sky TV service addressed to:

The Occupier
    1 xxx xxx
    Xxx xxx
    Xxx xxx

I have "no junk mail" displayed on the post box, that has only stopped leaflets. They manage to get around it with their wording. I've never had an account with them before.

Write "return to sender" on it and put it back in the mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Rainblow wrote: »
    Write "return to sender" on it and put it back in the mail.
    I'd prefer "not known at this address".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There's not much that you do tbh. Sky are probably using a bulk mailing service, not a database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I got this as well - including a spelling error that appears on Google Maps!

I'd prefer "not known at this address".

The postman knows you are acting the maggot with that. Your regular mail will go missing. When they get return to sender back it costs them and they will remove the name from the database.

• Advertisement

The postman knows you are acting the maggot with that. Your regular mail will go missing. When they get return to sender back it costs them and they will remove the name from the database.

Absolute nonsense. Your delivery man doesn't see your outgoing post for a start. And, companies are charged for returned post. Why on earth do you think the postman or sorting office would be vindictive about returned post??? A return to sender marked unsolicited mail is not "acting the maggot". I have done it many times and my post still arrives miraculously early every morning.

I got this as well - including a spelling error that appears on Google Maps!

Google maps quite likely used the same database (probably geocode from An Post). I seriously don't think they got your address on Google.

companies pay An Post to deliver advertising to a specific area. In some cases they even arrange the printing.

That's a large %. Of An Post income stream

Absolute nonsense. Your delivery man doesn't see your outgoing post for a start. And, companies are charged for returned post. Why on earth do you think the postman or sorting office would be vindictive about returned post??? A return to sender marked unsolicited mail is not "acting the maggot". I have done it many times and my post still arrives miraculously early every morning.

Not only that, An Post make money out of the return trip!

I have had the sorting office keep attempting delivery. If mail comes for someone who is not there I write not known at this address. I don't do it if mail is addressed to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

hFBFD2016.jpg

• Advertisement

That's the system they're likely to be using :

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/AnPostDM/ProductsAndServices/PostAim/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

ken wrote: »
    <SNIP> please do not quote images unnecessarily

Best idea i seen for awhile on boards.
    Does it work though ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Here's an alternative -
    1 get the junk mail.
    2 put it in the bin
    3 get on with life.

Frankly, there's an awful lot more to ve concerned about in everyday life than s little bitnif junk mail.

I simply bin it before it even gets into the house. The odd item though can be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Junk mail can be used for the cat's litter tray as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

sandin wrote: »
    Frankly, there's an awful lot more to ve concerned about in everyday life than s little bitnif junk mail.
    Not always practical. In one week, sky delivered over 200 advertisements to the apartment block i live in. Sadly, some people just throw them around the mail collection area and the place becomes a mess pretty quickly.

In the above case for sky, ring the number on the letter up and request to be removed from their mailing list. It worked for me - others got the mail but i no longer did.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Here's an alternative -
    1 get the junk mail.
    2 put it in the bin
    3 get on with life.

I simply bin it before it even gets into the house. The odd item though can be useful.

Whats your address, I'll send it to you instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Here's an alternative -
    1 get the junk mail.
    2 put it in the bin
    3 get on with life.

If you have to pay to get your green bin lifted it's a cost that you don't need. I put my bin out way less since I got a "No Junk Mail" sticker on my door and I don't pay, yet. I know it's different to direct mailing but an Post are pushing this since their traditional revenue stream has all put died.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

The postman knows you are acting the maggot with that.
    Not unless you tell him; he's not involved in the sending of mail, at all.
    Your regular mail will go missing.
    If it does, it has nothing to do with what you're implying.
    When they get return to sender back it costs them
    No it doesn't. Standard mail includes return costs in the case of failed delivery. I'm not sure if that's just a legacy arrangement that no-one formalised, but it does any way.
    and they will remove the name from the database.
    Unlikely. The cost of processing those returns would be too high (and is in no way a legal request for removal/opt-out). That's even if they are using their own database. Often they'll use the database of An Post, or the direct mailing service they out-source to.

cgarvey wrote: »

Unlikely. The cost of processing those returns would be too high (and is in no way a legal request for removal/opt-out). That's even if they are using their own database. Often they'll use the database of An Post, or the direct mailing service they out-source to.

An Post have no business maintaining a database. They do mail shots but are very expensive and the database should not be retained after the mail is issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A return to sender marked unsolicited mail is not "acting the maggot".
    In this case they will know its not truthful, he was saying to mark "not known at this address" when the junkmailers have already tried to get around that by saying "the occupier". I agree there will be no repercussions from this, but they will know fine well its a not a true claim.
    I almost had a package returned because of all the junk mail I get. The postman had a notice to collect the package but it was folded up in amongst a load of junk mail he must have posted at the same time. I only spotted it by chance when throwing out the junk mail, it was days later and it had almost been returned to sender.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    In this case they will know its not truthful, he was saying to mark "not known at this address" when the junkmailers have already tried to get around that by saying "the occupier". I agree there will be no repercussions from this, but they will know fine well its a not a true statment

That's why you put the truth - unsolicited mail. Anyway your postman will never be aware that you returned anything regardless of the stated reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AZTEC818

The Occupier
    1 xxx xxx
    Xxx xxx
    Xxx xxx

I have this problem too.
    The Marketing Directors name is on the material you receive.
    His linked-in account suggests he is based Britain
    Probably at one of the BskyB addresses.
    http://corporate.sky.com/work_for_sky/what_it_is_like_to_work_for_sky/our_locations

I think i will just forward the letters to him London H.Q.

You'd really wonder about how effective spamming people with snail mail really is.

The only ones I ever read / keep are things like restaurant menus. If it's commercial junk mail or supermarket flyers they go straight into the recycling bin without even being read.

A "no junk mail" sign means nothing and you'll continue to receive mail. The postman's not entitled to decide not to deliver stuff that's been paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

SpaceTime wrote: »
    A "no junk mail" sign means nothing and you'll continue to receive mail. The postman's not entitled to decide not to deliver stuff that's been paid for.

Not True in every situation, in my case a "no junk mail" has worked very successfully for the last couple of years, however the Sky one gets through as its addressed to the "occupier".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Does anyone know the legal position? Can you tell an post not to deliver non addressed mail?

Make a complaint to An Post if they deliver unaddressed mail to a letterbox that says no unaddressed post.

http://idma.ie/index.php?id=55

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Make a complaint to An Post if they deliver unaddressed mail to a letterbox that says no unaddressed post.

http://idma.ie/index.php?id=55

Sky have gotten around this as their junk is addressed to "The Occupant" and quoting your address. It is not unaddressed mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

My take on this (I am a postman) Is An Post dont deliver junk mail its publicity post, a vital stream of revenue for a large employer in the state.
    You'd really wonder about how effective spamming people with snail mail really is.

It is becoming far more targeted now than before where companies with multiple branches will will do a special offer in an area.

A "No Junk Mail" sign means people like the leaflet companies stop putting in 10 items at a time.
    The postman is entitled to not deliver items on a number of grounds, mainly health and safety
    Not True in every situation, in my case a "no junk mail" has worked very successfully for the last couple of years, however the Sky one gets through as its addressed to the "occupier".

Postmen have been instructed in the past not to deliver items to houses/dwellings that have a "No Junk Mail" sign up unless it is election literature.
    This post has been deleted.

You can request An Post not to deliver junk mail to your house.
    However I would say in defense of the Post man that publicity mail is important to them as it is extra money in their pay packet. The sign that works best is An Post items only

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

An Post have no business maintaining a database. They do mail shots but are very expensive and the database should not be retained after the mail is issued.

An Post are the only company in Ireland with a decent database and as their core business is delivery of items to every address of course they must have a database but how the database is used is another question.

Why should An Post not be allowed to keep a database when so much of the direct mail service is about targeting areas, Urban, Rural etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement