Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating to australia

Options
  • 28-06-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi i would like to emigrate to australia i have worked in construction all my life am from ireland and have just completed my degree in computer systems management.iam 41 years of age and not to sure the best way to go about this a sponcership or????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Id talk to an immigration agent you can talk over all your options without being obligated to purchase their service.

As a start you could go the department of immigration's website and fill out their visa wizard(See link below). This might give you a starting point but be warned it's a nightmare of paperwork.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 scythe40

i don't suppose you could recommend an emigration agent to talk to,as iam not to sure if my degree is on the list australia wants?

I've been talking to the Immigration Agency in Dublin. They are MARA registered

http://theimmigrationagency.com/contact/

hi i have spoken to them already,and they say i need to go in for consultation which cost 200 Euros for the hour,it seems worth it and they will let me know if i qualify for sponcership,or i can apply for residency of my own back.iam trying to watch my money as i just finished college but this seems the best bet so far and thank you for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

scythe40 wrote: »
    hi i have spoken to them already,and they say i need to go in for consultation which cost 200 Euros for the hour,it seems worth it and they will let me know if i qualify for sponcership,or i can apply for residency of my own back.iam trying to watch my money as i just finished college but this seems the best bet so far and thank you for your advice

e200 seems like an absolute rip off

it's all there in black and white on the Aussie Immigration website for you to read for free;

www.immi.gov.au/‎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Proxima Centauri

Hi,

The first thing you will need is a skills assessment(the very 1st thing before you can even apply for visa).

Check out the ACS which is the assessing authority for IT https://www.acs.org.au/migration-skills-assessment/information-for-applicants

Currently the most relevant for yourself that is on the SOL (skilled occupation list) would be the below ANZSCO code. Be aware that even if you have a degree it has to be HIGHLY relevant to the occupation on the list AND you must have a MINIMUM of 1 years experience that is highly relevant within the last 5 years.

2. 263111 Computer Network and Systems Engineer

- €200 for consultation is a rip-off, that's €200 you could put towards a skills assessment which costs about €500

lima wrote: »

Hi lima, the link you published is broken.

Accessed on the 4th July at 14:20

Thank you very much for your information,what exactly does a skills test involve?and before i went to college i have plastered for a few years,if i got some one to sponcer me would that give me a better chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

scythe40 wrote: »
    Thank you very much for your information,what exactly does a skills test involve?and before i went to college i have plastered for a few years,if i got some one to sponcer me would that give me a better chance?

For me as a software developer the skills assessment from the ACS involved supplying the following documentation (theres no practical test) :
    • Copy of each semesters college results
    • Copy of certificate,diploma,degree
    • Copy of CV
    • References from employers ( I did a statuatory declaration for my current employer as I didnt want to let on I was leaving the country)
    • I had done some microsoft and java exams so I supplied the results transcripts (not necessary probably)

It was around $300 (or maybe euro cant remember) which isnt too bad as its a lot easier than the skills assessment a trades man would have to do which involes paying a lot more to do practicals etc.

Im guessing if you are just out of college with no commercial experience you will find it hard to get a PR visa and your age might also go against you but the first thing you should do is check the points test on Skill Select to see if you are eligible for any of the visas.

You can tell straight away by looking at the points test withough wasting your money.

Advertisement