Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Movie Maker, not playing video/audio now.

Options
  • 28-06-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hiya
    Running Windows XP (Service Pack 3), and trying to make a vid in Movie Maker.

It's not playing any imported video or audio now for some reason. I tried older projects where I know the formats were correct and were working previously etc and nothing...the play button is available but nothing happens.

Downloaded the K-lite codec pack, restarted, no joy.

any pointers?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

your graphics may need updating . i reinstalled windows 7 last week and movie maker wouldnt open until i updated graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Thanks for that.

Tried updating the graphics driver (its the Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family - my version is 2005 and there is a 2008 update) - all going fine until last step of installation when its giving me an error message saying its not 'validated'. Tried all the XP versions of the drivers, just in case. Same story...

Thanks for that.

Tried updating the graphics driver (its the Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family - my version is 2005 and there is a 2008 update) - all going fine until last step of installation when its giving me an error message saying its not 'validated'. Tried all the XP versions of the drivers, just in case. Same story...

Had an old dell with the same set up a few years ago

try these free driver updaters

http://www.ma-config.com/en
    http://devicedoctor.com/

there is a 2011 movie maker in windows live essentials 2011 which u can download, try see if that updates it .

the windows essentials 2012 version needs windows 7 or 8 i think

havin a mare here, very frustrating...

done everything above and MM seemed to be coming around but its just doing bizarre things. Playing imported files sometimes, sometimes not, crashing, playing some formats and not others, then the reverse...

i think at this stage it might be worth upgrading to some basic video editing software. the hardware/software might be getting a little long in the tooth perhaps?

upgrade to windows 7 or 8 might be needed for good videos more ram and speed n better movie maker

• Advertisement

OK so I’ve run CCleaner, dumped a lot of stuff off he hard drive, I’ve also tried to reinstall the MM files but the required ‘moviemk.inf’ is not on my computer to do this. I don’t have Service Pack 3 disk (if there is one – I think its download only). Tried a few other things from advice online but still the same.

So two questions basically:
    1) are there other ways to troubleshoot this or reinstall MM? I know it’s a windows component and can’t be removed like a program but there may be other ways to uninstall and reinstall etc?

2) with my system, is it worth looking at upgrading the operating system in order to download the 2012 version of MM . Off hand could you tell me if I could adequately support Windows 7? I guess it would be the graphics card I’m most unsure about. I have an ‘Mobile Intel(R)945GM Express Chipset Family’ and Windows 7 requires ‘DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver’

My system:
    Dell Latitude D620
    Intel Core 2 CPU
    T5600 @ 1.83 GHz
    1.83 GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM
    Microsoft XP Service Pack 3
    Currently have 24GB of hard disk space.

Thanks

you install movie maker from windows live essentials 2011 -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=29219

the 2012 version is for windows 7/8 i think

I think I need to have windows 7 or above, in order to install windows live essentials

if that is so (perhaps I'm wrong) would I need to update my graphics card in order to install W7?

EDIT
    Tried to update graphics card but it seems to be the latest version, it says "it could not find a better match...etc"

Should I go ahead and go for Windows 7? Or should I research it a bit more? I can get it cheap in work so it's a no brainer unless it might play havoc with my old warhorse here...

Very limited on Hard disk space .

if you looking to do videos you may need to upgrade hardware and better probably time to upgrade the whole lot with a new laptop . win 8 if you can stick it

an i3

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_E1-571_15.6_Black_-_Silver_Core_i3-2348_6GB_500GB_Win8_HP__NX.M09EK.018/version.asp

an i5 for 400
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_C850-1EQ_Core_i5_Windows_8_Laptop_PSCBXE-01400EEN/version.asp

aghhhh - don't say that! :)

i know it's true...

what i actually need to do is invest in a pro audio laptop, which i could do video work on too. I'm heavily into music so it's on the shopping list. I have a good desktop PC here for music as well but with the kind of music work I do I need a seriously powerful laptop with net access etc.

Problem is the time in between where I don't have MM. It's the simplicity of it that's fantastic. I'm still perturbed as to how it just flipped out on me. Just a case of old age perhaps?

Gonna investigate video editors. Downloaded VSDC editor which seems decent but need to get me head around it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement