Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible Gas boiler issue

• 28-06-2013 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on something for me, according to airtricity ive used almost 700m3 of gas over a two month period ( before the most was around the 200m3 mark in winter) what I am wondering is, is there a boiler issue that could cause usage to triple without any noticable issue with the boiler ie waters not taking longer to heat, no weird noises. The only thing with it is every so often it doesnt fire and I have to press the reset button on the side, its then fine again. Ive no clue about boilers/heating systems so be prepared for the possibility of some stupid questions from me :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Your best bet is to get in an RGI & first get then to soundness test the installation for leaks.
    If all ok, get them to gas rate each appliance individually that you have installed.
    You can then very accurately determine what your usage is by the hours you have them on.

By any chance do you have a digital gas meter? There are a lot of faulty ones out there on the market that are registering gas when there is no gas flowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

shane0007 wrote: »
    Your best bet is to get in an RGI & first get then to soundness test the installation for leaks.
    If all ok, get them to gas rate each appliance individually that you have installed.
    You can then very accurately determine what your usage is by the hours you have them on.

By any chance do you have a digital gas meter? There are a lot of faulty ones out there on the market that are registering gas when there is no gas flowing!

The only gas appliance is the boiler itself, no its just a normal meter I rent the house so i think ill be ringing the landlord, if that 700m3 bill is accurate there has to be a leak/issue somewhere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

I had a case a couple of years ago. The lady thought she had a gas leak due to the small usuage and high bills. I done a soundness check. no gas leak.
    Boiler was cutting out on tempeture. rads took a while to heat. especially downstairs (she thought this was normal). However to cut a long story short after a lot of investigation.

I found that the boiler fitted in the kitchen was piped up the walls (4m) via the bathroom into the attic. Across the attic (4-5m) down into the hot press (2m) and connected to the cylinder and rads circuit.

When the house got renovated . the plumber must have thought it would be easier to run pipes up the walls and across the attic in order to isolate hot water and heating zone.

Its the truth. believe it or not. the boiler may as well have been fitted 3 0r 4 houses up the road.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

+1, observe the boiler for short cycling, (on/off periods between firing when hot)

Regards a leak, at that rate you should be smelling it!
    But to be sure, without using your boiler for a 24h period, observe your meter index reading, see does it move (suggesting a leak somewhere)

A full boiler check from a good RGI would be recommended

Advertisement