Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV system, what you think?

Options
  • 28-06-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am just finished first fix on the new build and have installed cat5 for the cctv i am hoping to install. I have allowed for a possible five cameras. I then asked the electrician to source a cctv system for me.

He contacted me yesterday and quoted me €1600 which would include a 5 cameras(no spec even tho i asked), a dvr (no spec)and a modulator. .When i asked what spec he fobbed me off. I swiftly told him where to go (in the nicest possible way).

I was doing a lot of digging on the net and found this set.

http://www.cctvdi.com/epages/61203576.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61203576/Products/B50DC44DG-4

Mods i have no affiliation to this site. if its not appropriate please remove. if i could get some feedback on this kit please!!

Thank you for your replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Moved to Home Security Systems

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is your electrician PSA registered?
    If so he is obliged to supply you with a detailed spec and quotation covering all aspects of the installation.
    If he's not licenced he's prohibited by law from installing a system and are prohibited from employing him for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paudi04

He is registered, legitimate and all the rest but i suspect that he is chancing his arm in relation to the price (from research is ridiculous). This is an extra in my build and the electrician sees this and is pricing accordingly. He is to get back to me with the spec but no word yet. I told him that it is not in my budget anyways so he knows where he stands with the price quoted.

Anyway rant over. I'm trying to source a kit from the net, I've done a small bit of research and just wondering what do people think of that kit listed in the earlier post.

Thanks for reply

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If he's legit and licenced by the PSA he has to.
    You say it's all wired with CAT5. Could he be quoting you for an IP system?
    Either way, for that money he should be showing you what your getting. You need to know that before you can know if your getting good value.

He is to post me out the quote so i will know when i get it. It was the general feel from the conversation that had me thinking he was chancing his arm price wise and plus when he said "there are better cameras out there than the ones I've quoted you for" it gave me more reason to be cautious.

Only time will tell when i get the quote if he is having a laugh or not. That's why I'm shopping around myself.

Thanks Koolkid

• Advertisement

If he's quoting you €1600 for a basic analogue system and telling you there's better out there how much is the better stuff?? :
    It will be interesting to see the spec?
    Tbh analogue is the cheap of the cheap now. China has the market flooded to milk the last of it before IP becomes the norm.

Koolkid I'll post the spec when i get it. Hopefully wont be waiting too long to get it.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for a system i could get?? I'm new to the CCTV realm and to me it's a minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Why bother. Most of the images from the best of these systems aren't great. If its security you want spend your money on electric gates.

its for peace of mind for the other half when I'm away working at night. Looking into electric gates but for now its cctv..

hargo wrote: »
    Why bother. Most of the images from the best of these systems aren't great. If its security you want spend your money on electric gates.

If it's good images you want take a look at IP.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    If he's quoting you €1600 for a basic analogue system and telling you there's better out there how much is the better stuff?? :
    It will be interesting to see the spec?
    Tbh analogue is the cheap of the cheap now. China has the market flooded to milk the last of it before IP becomes the norm.

Spec for the cameras just received! "DVR eneo 1tb, motion detect, Internet connection. Cameras: fixed lens with infrared 600tvl"

Very detailed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Most systems that provide poor images are crap or very poorly installed .
    Cameras provide a story while alarms provide dates and times and can help track movement throughout the house where most people do not want cctv .

Automatic gates are ideal but they won't keep anyone out unless all the components ( keypad,control board ) are tampered .

Paudi04 wrote: »
    Spec for the cameras just received! "DVR eneo 1tb, motion detect, Internet connection. Cameras: fixed lens with infrared 600tvl"

Very detailed :D

Eneo is a good unit, Probably a little steep on the price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I am just finished first fix on the new build and have installed cat5 for the cctv i am hoping to install. I have allowed for a possible five cameras. I then asked the electrician to source a cctv system for me.

He contacted me yesterday and quoted me €1600 which would include a 5 cameras(no spec even tho i asked), a dvr (no spec)and a modulator. .When i asked what spec he fobbed me off. I swiftly told him where to go (in the nicest possible way).

I was doing a lot of digging on the net and found this set.

http://www.cctvdi.com/epages/61203576.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61203576/Products/B50DC44DG-4

Mods i have no affiliation to this site. if its not appropriate please remove. if i could get some feedback on this kit please!!

Thank you for your replies.

The system you gave in the link is a 4 Chan dvr, so won't be enough if you want 5 cameras. Go for an 8 Chan dvr.

Also, the bundled system gives cables etc which are no good to you as you have cat 5 cable runs so will be needing baluns etc.

I don't know the make you gave, but tbh, having bought a low cost dvr myself, given the option again I would go for one of the better well known brands, don't go for an unknown one, get something well known and we'll supported

The system you gave in the link is a 4 Chan dvr, so won't be enough if you want 5 cameras. Go for an 8 Chan dvr.

Also, the bundled system gives cables etc which are no good to you as you have cat 5 cable runs so will be needing baluns etc.

I don't know the make you gave, but tbh, having bought a low cost dvr myself, given the option again I would go for one of the better well known brands, don't go for an unknown one, get something well known and we'll supported

The spark has wired for 5 cameras but I'm only putting 4 in. It gives me some options on where to locate them. I contacted the seller on the website and he said the exact same as you. I would need baluns and that I wouldn't need the 20m power cables either. Thanks for the advice on the dvr. I'll have to do a bit more homework!

Do you mind me asking what spec you have?:D

The spark has wired for 5 cameras but I'm only putting 4 in. It gives me some options on where to locate them. I contacted the seller on the website and he said the exact same as you. I would need baluns and that I wouldn't need the 20m power cables either. Thanks for the advice on the dvr. I'll have to do a bit more homework!

Do you mind me asking what spec you have?:D

My system was an 8 Chan dvr with 4 x 420 v cameras, distributed by cnmsecure and I think similar if not identical to some of the maplin ones.

Camera quality poor, dvr works but very basic, the motion detect is either too sensitive or it sensitive enough (trying to get it to work just on car detection but the dogs set it off)

Stay clear, wish I'd spent a few hundred more on it and got a better spec

The golden question, how much? Did you fit it yourself?

The golden question, how much? Did you fit it yourself?

Bought it on eBay, cost I think under 400 euro, put it in myself, hardest thing was screwing the cameras to the walls.

Advertisement