Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Punishment for vandalism

• 28-06-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello All,

I've read the rules and I think this question is allowed. I'm just looking for some opinions from people who might understand this better than I do.

Bit of background. Roughly 10 years ago when I was 19 I did a very stupid thing. When I walked home from a party very late at night, and very drunk, I keyed some cars and I opened the door and sat in 2 cars.

i was arrested and brought to a gardai station where I confessed guilty right away and ended up in court several days later. I was appointed a court lawyer and the judge accepted the case. I was informed I'd be contacted by post for the follow up. For several weeks I never heard anything and eventually a few months later I moved from the adress I was on at the time. Now my phone number has never changed since then. It's always been the same. They knew where I worked (even my work adress/phone number).

Being a complete idiot I went with "No news is good news" and carried on with life. I've never gotten in trouble since. Not have I done anything illigeal since. I've never tried to hide or run I've always paid my taxes, bought cars, have a house, paid insurance etc etc. Thinking this whole thing was dealt with.

today I was pulled over because I swerved in my lane while driving. The gardai pulling me overlooking in this computer and found there was a warrant for my arrest for failure to show up in court. This came as huge shock (I'm still a little shakey in all honesty) and I'm terrified.

had I Known this was till outstanding I would have dealt with it ofcourse. And I have absolutely no problem dealing with it now. My question to you all is the following.

Considering I'm a 31 year old man with a house, a dog and a very good job and a wonderful girlfriend, who since then never been in trouble and has never done anything bad since then and who is genuinely remorseful and willing to accept the concesquences and pay the fine or reimburse damages...what type of sentence would I be looking at?

I'm genuinely terrified I might end up with a jail sentence as that would mean I'd lose my job my house and my life as it is.

What is your take on it and what do you think could happen? Do you think Jail time is a possibility or likely?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Speak to a solicitor ASAP.

I'd think its highly unlikely you'd get jail time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lightsun

Just spoke to a sollicitor litterally just now and I'm slightly calmed down in all fairness.

he explained that the gardai will ring me back with either:

1) It's been 10 years. It's not going to be processed anymore because it's so old and I've never done a thing wrong since.
    2) I need to show up in Malahide Gardai station (where i live now) to serve the warrant and appear in court.

if the second happens then I'm probably looking at fine but I won't be doing any jail time.

Now that I'm calmed down and look at it. Guy who is a good citizen, no previous or further convictions and what is in essence a stupid thing (under the influence but still absolutely moronic) I realise that Jail time see very unlikely.

Still..it puts in stark context what an absolute moron I was when I was young. Also the naivety of "No news is good news" is moronic.

right...I'm going to have a glass of wine and try to calm down.

lightsun wrote: »
    Just spoke to a sollicitor litterally just now and I'm slightly calmed down in all fairness.

he explained that the gardai will ring me back with either:

1) It's been 10 years. It's not going to be processed anymore because it's so old and I've never done a thing wrong since.
    2) I need to show up in Malahide Gardai station (where i live now) to serve the warrant and appear in court.

if the second happens then I'm probably looking at fine but I won't be doing any jail time.

Now that I'm calmed down and look at it. Guy who is a good citizen, no previous or further convictions and what is in essence a stupid thing (under the influence but still absolutely moronic) I realise that Jail time see very unlikely.

Still..it puts in stark context what an absolute moron I was when I was young. Also the naivety of "No news is good news" is moronic.

There's no where to put you! So I wouldn't worry about jail. A judge isn't going to create a potential issue later on down the line by jailing you and ruining your life, loss of job etc.

I only say this as you've spoken to a solicitor and not as any sort of legal advice.
    right...I'm going to have a glass of wine and try to calm down.

Careful now! :pac:

There's no where to put you! So I wouldn't worry about jail. A judge isn't going to create a potential issue later on down the line by jailing you and ruining your life, loss of job etc.

I only say this as you've spoken to a solicitor and not as any sort of legal advice.

Careful now! :pac:

Yeah fair enough and I appriciate the words (and the fact it's an opinion and not legal advice :-) )

And I'll stick to 1 glass.....maybe 2!

Just an update on this in case there ever is anyone in the same scenario.

After a few court visits a replacement gardai was sent to stand in for the original prosecuting gardai who is out on maternity leave. Considering the age of the incident, my good standing and social situation (good job, no other convictions or any issues) and the fact it was a minor situation the judge ruled that a donation to the court poor box was enough to strike the whole case out and the gardai were happy to support this.

Being very honest I'm genuinely impressed with the leniency and friendliness of the judge and the gardai. Although I assume being the only person in a 3 piece suit and with a non free legal advice sollicitor, does help to make you stand out from the crowd of multiple offenders. Not too mention I pleaded guilty straight away and didn't try to fight any of this which seemed to have made everybody a lot friendlier.

Anyway. lesson learned: Don't be stupid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Personally, I think you should have been put up against the wall and shot.

:)

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Personally, I think you should have been put up against the wall and shot.

:)

Wasn't the last regime that used to do that relatively unpopular?

Wasn't the last regime that used to do that relatively unpopular?

You never know. It might catch on again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

Anyway. lesson learned: Don't be stupid!

You should have a word with your driving instructor. If you hadn't been weaving in traffic there wouldn't have been any of this!

You never know. It might catch on again.

Seems to be a suggestion returning under Her Majesty's control every week in AH. There certainly seems to be a burning desire to pay the British exchequer as much tax as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement