Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible diseased maple tree

• 28-06-2013 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi, first off I know absolutely nothing about plants so forgive me if I am totally wrong about this but I think a maple tree in our back garden has some sort of disease.

Some of the leaves are dead and there is a sort of white fuzz or dots on the trunk.

Just wondering does anyone know what this could be? And is there anything a gardening idiot can do to get rid of it!?

Thanks

Ene

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Nice acer.
    The leaf die back looks like lack of water, or perhaps wind damage and/or somthing like coral spot from drought or waterlogging.
    I cant see the white stuff clearly, is it a fungus or a lichen?
    Is the acer in a very damp spot.
    Perhaps move the tree to a sunny spot so that the bark dries out and with a tray underneath the pot so you can keep an eye on the tray you know when to water.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

I've had the same problem with a maple in a tub, only a few weeks ago, it was covered in a tiny black fly under the leaves and the leaves were dying, I have sprayed it and it seems to have cured it so far.but I am keeping a very close eye on it.I would hate to lose it as I have it a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

It sounds odd but when you hit it it looks fluffy. I really know nothing about plants!! It is in a tub which I couldn't move to save my life and it has been there for years!

Hopefully this is a better picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

Possibly Verticillium wilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭rje66

ene wrote: »

Rub some of the white stuff and see is there any insects under it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

ene wrote: »

Looks like wooly aphids. Rub off to remove. asthetic damage only. Would suggest a moisture meter if you dont get a tray.

So the tree is fine then? I can't move the tree so is there anything else I can do to fix this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭tara m

Yeah it's woolly aphid, used to have hydrangeas that got infested each summer! I'd just gently wash it off with a bit of kitchen roll in a bowl of water with a tiny splash of vinegar in it. I couldn't wash the hydrangeas though - got rid of them completely and never has woolly aphid again - worth checking any big shrubs nearby in case it has spread a bit.

Advertisement