Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do dogs have to "tie" for the female to become pregnant?

• 28-06-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

When my dog was in heat she broke loose from the lead and when I found her there was a male dog mounting her but I managed to stop it before they "tied". However now she's showing signs of pregnancy (not a false one though as she has experienced this before) she's usually very high energy and she's quiet tired and slow when moving around. She's always been fond of her food but she is now literally eating anything and everything (including cat poo :() her nipples are swollen and her stomach is firm to touch and it feels like there's a bulge. So my question is, is it possible for her to be pregnant even though she wasn't tied to the male?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No they don't. A slip mating can cause pregnancy too.

How long ago did this happen? Are you sure the male dog was entire?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oops OP :o I think you'd better get her to the vet to be sure! It could be a phantom pregnancy, as some bitches can show all the physical signs of pregnancy without being pregnant at all, and if she has a history of phantom pregnancy, it is a possibility that this is all it is.
    However, you need to know, so you can get the nursery painted if necessary :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

from the symptoms you describe sounds like she may be pregnant and andreac has answered your question above if its her first litter she may carry her pups high until about 7/10 days before delivery but as dbb says may also be phantom

What type of dog is she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dachshunds

Hi, your vet can do a scan or if the vet doesn't have this machine will no by checking her out u need to no as she may need help whelping the pups and u need to know what to do. U could lose both mother and puppies if u don't no what to look out for. Then again she may have them no bother whayptever your vet needs to b alerted in case u have to visit also u need to know how long can she go heaving without delivering a pup usually 3 to 4 hours and then needs a shot of oxytocin to help her deliver puppies bet o luck

Advertisement