Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it illegal to ride a dirtbike on public roads?

• 28-06-2013 8:34pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

I presume it is.

Where does the law stand on this if you were to ride it during the day from your home to an off-road site and back?

Would dirtbike experience help when it comes to riding a streetbike in the future?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Where does the law stand on this if you were to ride it during the day from your home to an off-road site and back?

Would dirtbike experience help when it comes to riding a streetbike in the future?

Is it road legal, does it have number plates, tax, insurance and does the rider have a licence. If the answer to anyone of those questions is no then no. It would only be legal to drive it on private property to which the public in motor vehicles do not have access.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

infosys wrote: »
    Is it road legal, does it have number plates, tax, insurance and does the rider have a licence. If the answer to anyone of those questions is no then no. It would only be legal to drive it on private property to which the public in motor vehicles do not have access.

I thought so.
    Would a dirtbike help when it comes to riding a roadbike?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I thought so.

Thats also what the IBT is for...with regards a roadbike,public roads and everyones safety..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thats also what the IBT is for...with regards a roadbike,public roads and everyones safety..;)

That's what IBT training is for.

For the mechanics of learning to ride, balance, gear and clutch control, speed & distance estimation, off-road riding is of course a help.

IBT will take those core skills and put them in a road context. It's why my kids, at 10, have been riding for 5+ years already. ....it'll make road craft easier later.

.....oh, and, falling off off-road hurts less.....and costs less !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

I thought so.

Very much, you'll learn throttle control, balance and a good bit about traction and grip, so much better to learn that in a field than on the road.

Oh, and as above, falling off hurts a lot less.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

galwaytt wrote: »
    That's what IBT training is for.

For the mechanics of learning to ride, balance, gear and clutch control, speed & distance estimation, off-road riding is of course a help.

IBT will take those core skills and put them in a road context. It's why my kids, at 10, have been riding for 5+ years already. ....it'll make road craft easier later.

.....oh, and, falling off off-road hurts less.....and costs less !

How big is the dirt bike community in ireland? Where can people use them legally besides their gardens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

How big is the dirt bike community in ireland? Where can people use them legally besides their gardens?

Very big, plenty of tracks about, field days etc.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I presume it is.

Answer to the 1st part of your question = illegal. (bike should be road legal and rider have all the legal requirements to ride it on the public roads.

Answer to 2nd part = YES. Dirtbike experience will help a lot in controlling a bike, for example : clutch, gears, etc. Also good for handling a bike on roads which have less grip, and also good for potentially reacting to hazards.
    Good for sliding the rear in to corners too.

Advertisement