Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic jam sessions for musicians and singers

Options
  • 28-06-2013 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Cork musicians, singers and listeners...

What sessions do you regularly attend around the city? I mean sessions in the broadest sense...folk, trad, country, blues, rock, jazz or whatever tickles your fancy. The kind of sessions where you can turn up with your guitar or saxophone or spoons, join in and have a go :) Have you found any which are particularly good, or welcoming to new musicians?

I'll declare my own bias here and get a plug in for two sessions I'm involved in: The Raven on Wednesday nights (country and bluegrass-orientated, but not strictly!) and The Woodford on Monday nights (classic rock, pop, country, blues, reggae, anything goes!). The facebook pages are here for anyone interested:
    https://www.facebook.com/TheSundownSessionsAtTheRavenBar
    https://www.facebook.com/TheMondayNightShindigAtTheWoodford

Other great sessions which I've gone to around the city at one stage or another...The Franciscan Well on Monday nights (energetic blues) and The Sextant on Sundays (currently taking a break I think, but a very fun session, mainly rock and pop).

Starting this thread so people can post details of sessions they go to or are involved in running around the city - hopefully to spread the word for musicians and singers who are looking for somewhere to jam out a few songs or tunes in a friendly environment, and for people looking for free live music around the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Might be a rather handy thread. I know himself used to go to a few before with the band but things kinda went all quite especially for bands...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Spike 58

Thanks for the info on the jam sessions.
    I'll head in to check out one of these soon.
    Gonna see if I could build up the courage to join in. Iv been playing guitar for a long time now although not progressed very far. Iv never played with anyone, because I get nervious but I'd like to try and find some one to give it a go with, maybe play a song or two at one these sessions or an open mic night.

Advertisement