Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Corner alpe d'huez

Options
  • 28-06-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Anybody going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Haven't decided where I'll be standing, probably depends on those I'm going with, but it's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Staying near Grenoble with family. Concerned about sheer volume of traffic trying to get up that day.

Thinking of cycling up in the morning with my son.

Irish corner is corner 10

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-fans-to-create-irish-corner-on-tour-de-frances-alpe-dhuez-aims-to-rival-dutch-corner/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Fantastic idea, Roche and Martin both seem to really appreciate the support they get from the Irish fans.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭redzerredzer

boege wrote: »
    Thinking of cycling up in the morning with my son.

Anyone know what time you'd be allowed to cycle up until.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Fair play if ye are going but will ye for fec£ sake please leave the PaddyWhackery leprechaun hats and beards at home and don't make a show of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

fixie fox wrote: »
    Fair play if ye are going but will ye for fec£ sake please leave the PaddyWhackery leprechaun hats and beards at home and don't make a show of us.

I think you may be missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

and Gaa jerseys and munster rugby jerseys...go green!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Ya, acting like a nation of Leprechauns would probably fit the international perception and expectation all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

The Dutch Corner may have splifs but they dont actually all go round with giant ones in hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I"m going but I'm keeping it classy.

I'll be the guy with a top hat and monocle in the beefeater uniform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

I'm up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Esroh wrote: »
    The Dutch Corner may have splifs but they dont actually all go round with giant ones in hand :D
    Stopped reading after the 6th word....ticket booked...

Sacksian wrote: »
    I"m going but I'm keeping it classy.

I'll be the guy with a top hat and monocle in the beefeater uniform.

Good man, just what every Irish man wants to see, someone in a brit uniform
    shouting at them from the side of the road like its South Armagh in the bleedin' 80's.
    Stick a Thatcher mask on too willya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭finbarrk

How long would it take to drive up there early in the morning from Lyon anyone?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You can't call yourself a cycling fan unless you're running alongside them, locked out of your head, in just a pair of Speedos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

The Basques know how to party at the Tour.

I was following it in the Pyrenees in 2003 and was with a crowd of them on one of the climbs. They really pi$$ed me off - they were drunk and acting the maggot - lying on the road before team cars ahead of the race that they didn't like etc. But it was one of those mountain-top finishes where the riders have to ride back down again. So, after the race was finished, they all stayed around, lined each side of the road, and cheered every rider on the way back down. It completely changed my opinion - real fans, which I should have known!

That was the year their great hope, Beloki, crashed out on that corner where Lance took the shortcut across the field. That night I moved on to the next mountain and was camped in the gutter on one of the bends. In the middle of the night a noise outside the tent woke me. It was two drunk Basques painting 'Beloki 2004' on the road. It was hilarious as they could hardly stand up - I was waiting for one of them to fall over the tin of paint. None of that craic on the Alpe d'Huez now lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Basques know how to party at the Tour.

I was following it in the Pyrenees in 2003 and was with a crowd of them on one of the climbs. They really pi$$ed me off - they were drunk and acting the maggot - lying on the road before team cars ahead of the race that they didn't like etc. But it was one of those mountain-top finishes where the riders have to ride back down again. So, after the race was finished, they all stayed around, lined each side of the road, and cheered every rider on the way back down. It completely changed my opinion - real fans, which I should have known!

That was the year their great hope, Beloki, crashed out on that corner where Lance took the shortcut across the field. That night I moved on to the next mountain and was camped in the gutter on one of the bends. In the middle of the night a noise outside the tent woke me. It was two drunk Basques painting 'Beloki 2004' on the road. It was hilarious as they could hardly stand up - I was waiting for one of them to fall over the tin of paint. None of that craic on the Alpe d'Huez now lads.

Very good. Have you ever been to alpe d'huez?

I'm three foot tall and have a long red beard and I take great offence just cos I happen to like wearing green with a touch of gold bling....weally looking forward to this now!

...oh 'Danny boy', the pipes, the pipes are calling.......

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

finbarrk wrote: »
    How long would it take to drive up there early in the morning from Lyon anyone?

No traffic, up to a couple of hours. This is based on a drive in RHD from the top of Alpe d'Huez back to Lyon late at night.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    No traffic, up to a couple of hours. This is based on a drive in RHD from the top of Alpe d'Huez back to Lyon late at night.

My guess is that upwards of 250,000 people will be heading up the same road. The only plus is that the road to Bourg D'oisans from Grenoble/Lyon side is not on the race route although one assumes they will pull the traffic up before the town. Roads up the Alpe I suspect will close very early that day, normally for a late summit finish they close roads at the bottom around midday for vehicle traffic which is about 4-5 hours before the riders come through.

I'm in a similar situation and wondering if driving up in the morning is even possible. Would welcome info from anyone who knows more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

boege wrote: »
    My guess is that upwards of 250,000 people will be heading up the same road. The only plus is that the road to Bourg D'oisans from Grenoble/Lyon side is not on the race route although one assumes they will pull the traffic up before the town. Roads up the Alpe I suspect will close very early that day, normally for a late summit finish they close roads at the bottom around midday for vehicle traffic which is about 4-5 hours before the riders come through.

I'm in a similar situation and wondering if driving up in the morning is even possible. Would welcome info from anyone who knows more.

You'd probably be as well to stay in Alpe d'Huez the night before, and freewheel down (assuming any beds left) or camp if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

there are seven of us staying in allemond for a week and have planned to be corner ten on our rest day from cycling. keeping with the rest of the fans on huez we have the green hats, tricolour, tyrone flag, inflatable tricolour hammer all at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Dooish wrote: »
    there are seven of us staying in allemond for a week and have planned to be corner ten on our rest day from cycling. keeping with the rest of the fans on huez we have the green hats, tricolour, tyrone flag, inflatable tricolour hammer all at the ready.

Stayed there before and it's really handy to get to alp d'huez from there. Enjoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Not that I'll be able to make it this year, but what would be the neccessary travel arrangements to get to "Irish Corner"?

I assume you can't drive up on the day, is camping a free for all around there? How long a walk are we talking to get there from the nearest Car Park?

Would you likely have to spend a day or two on the mountain? Are there any busses organised to get fans up and down the hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I'll be wearing a sombre black suit, braces, a white shirt, a black hat and stout shoes and will be sporting a fine beard.

Would anyone like to join me at Amish Corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This is the corner in question

BOWX3tgCYAAVOsX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Inquitus wrote: »
    This is the corner in question

Good thinking with it being in the shade. Wouldn't be good to see a load of bright red Irishmen melting in the sun on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Is the Panda going?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

........or John 3:17..........or Davy Keogh?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I believe Father Neil Horan is a big cycling fan.....

250px-Neil_Horan.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

^^^^^
    That him just off the turbo?
    :)

Advertisement